S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old October 28th, 2007, 06:05 PM   #4801
oldnslow
Listen to DaMan

Oct. 28
Indoor Speed practice.
30 minutes of dry technique, fitness, and stretching for warm up.
30 minutes of rolling technique drills.(cross overs, corners, etc.)
Some pace drills incorporating some late passes, power passes, and wolf pack.
Spent a lot of time on starts today. I can't get the kids to get aggressive.
All quads today.
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:03 PM   #4802
skaterdog

Today:

Skated 20 miles.

Ran 6 miles.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #4803
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshr View Post
Well then, everyone else in this forum, how about pat on the back for me. I for one am pretty stoked on the results of my first GPS'd 1.7 mile lap. I started out trying to sprint it but then quickly got too tired and settled into a fast but doable, at least for the rest of the lap, rythm.
Pat pat! Nice skating...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #4804
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshr View Post
Well then, everyone else in this forum, how about pat on the back for me. I for one am pretty stoked on the results of my first GPS'd 1.7 mile lap. I started out trying to sprint it but then quickly got too tired and settled into a fast but doable, at least for the rest of the lap, rythm.

Pat.
Old October 28th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #4805
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Oct 28

The SSS (SoCal Speed Skating Society) ... is Speedskating 1 word? Met today again at El Dorado park.

We did 19.1 miles in 1:51 (skate time)

Sometimes people have to tell you things twice - Tawni pointed out I wasn't putting my recovering leg down parallel. Josh had mentioned it but it hadn't 'clicked'. Holy cow does that seem to make a difference, although I can't see it on the GPS log.

I have some things to work on my balance, and got a lot of pointers on technique. It's great skating with people! (at least, with people better than you )

The Garmin said average speed was 10.7mph. (edit) My HR avg 141.

Log posted here:

Oh yea, I ripped my crash pads - I hit a rock that jammed my left skate and sat down in a 'sit and roll'. Hard. It's the first time in months I've gone over backwards. More balance!

Right in front of the good speed skater's in the parking lot too
== John ==
P.S. Big pat on the back Josh - you'll be in the pack soon!
P.P.S. Ironically, all 3 of us drive 2 seater sports cars. Is that too funny or what?
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:15 AM   #4806
joshr

I was waiting for John to post. If he did 19.1 that means I did 17.4 because I did one lap with some of the other speed skaters who were there then stopped for one lap and talked. Skating with Tawni was quite a treat. She has amazing form. When she was really pushing I was able to get very low and draft her and she was doing about the perfect speed for me. Actually this whole weekend was a real turnaround for me. It was the first time I actually felt just as comfortable on my speed skates as I used to on my rec skates. I was able to slalom as well as skate backwards, both things I had previously been unable to do on my speed skates. Then today skating with Tawni I was actually able to get low enough that I could put my chin in my hand and my elbow on my knee without bothering my back at all. The more I did it the longer I was able to maintain the form and it felt great.

and yes I noticed we all drive 2 seat sports cars, Tawni and I even have the same car.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:41 AM   #4807
desertkiwi
Make It Happen

Wow! What a great weekend of skating. John and Josh, it was really nice meeting you guys and I had such a blast. I'm afraid, though, that now skating alone is going to be all the lonlier. I miss you guys already!

Well the guys have pretty much covered the particulars of our outing. I really envy those of you who get to hook up on a regular basis. I can't imagine anything else being more fun than skating with a friendly group of people. This morning was picture postcard pretty and one of the local speed groups was just finishing up their workout. It's the first time I had ever seen a paceline in person; it was very cool to hear the shush of the wheels of 5-7 skaters perfectly synchronized and propelling them around 18 mph.

As we were finishing our skate, one of the women skaters from that morning was finishing up a road bike ride and pulled up to chat with us on her cool down lap and asked if we were doing the Silver Strand 1/2 Marathon in San Diego. Josh is going, I believe. So chalk one up for 'bridging the gap'.

Now I've really got the jones for a pair of speed skates. Josh's Bont Jets really impressed me. For an entry level skate, they sure don't seem to have skimped on the build quality. Going to have to get in touch with Glenn Koshi. I didn't meet with him over the summer regarding some custom Apaches like I'd hoped to, but I'm hoping to have my them ordered by the end of the year!

Tawni
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:50 AM   #4808
NWGlenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by online inline View Post
Yeah, yesterday did the Sat. morning thing with Pistol Pete and it was cold- even wore glove liners under the palm sliders and it still felt like frost bite potential - note to self- go buy cycling gloves today.

See you (and Madeline and Glenn) at Lynnwood next weekend!
'Fraid not O/I...this year's indoors I've shifted to Arts; still doing the pavement as weather permits. 'Was actually trying on light-weight wet suits this week in an attempt to get past the cold and wet thing. Too bad the lightest they had was still uncomfortably warm, maybe later in the year. I do plan on making the Turkey Trot @ Fort Lewis. See you there.
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #4809
JandKLarson

Haven't posted since returning from the Banked Track Clinic almost two weeks ago. Getting back into the indoor practice groove and trying to consistently spin on most off practice days.

Oct. 27-Oct. 28 - first indoor meet of the season for us, the Halloween Invitational in Greencastle, PA, a portion of the meet proceeds to go to injured world class skater Darren Kauffman. Alot of racing for me over 2 days, more so than Kevin. I skated division races in both Novice and Standard, as well as relays in both. Last year when I skated a meet at this same rink, I was hesitant stepping in the corners, as it's a smaller floor. This year, I was able to step in more, and even when I rolled in, I was powering out of the corners much better and definitely felt more comfortable with the overall speed. I ended up first in all the division races and first in several relays, second in the other two. Skated a 2 mix with hubby Kevin, which was fun. Jim Larson from Hyper was at the meet, and he, Kevin and another master man from our team skated a 3 man relay together. As they were the only master 3 man relay, they ended up challenging up to Senior. It was an exciting relay to watch, and talk about the OLD MEN doing well, they got 3rd in the Senior 3 man relay!! Darren Kauffman was at the meet both days, and he is truly an inspiration, not letting the fact that he's in a wheelchair get him down. Of course, everyone hopes that he will walk again some day, but only time will tell. A really fun weekend. The kids who went with us to the meet had a great time too.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #4810
Mom Deb

OK, I guess I will post my progress...
Oct. 29
skated one round of Flatwoods today-8miles and got soaked in the last mile. I managed not to fall. The ranger waved and smiled from his truck, as did I in the pouring rain. I also had Jess and Lauren teach me how to rotate my wheels for the first time.

I have a very long way to go...
Mom Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:33 AM   #4811
JGwinner
(w)Rec(k) Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom Deb View Post
...I managed not to fall.
I couldn't manage that either day this weekend

I use crash pads (these) and even though it hurts to sit, if I didn't have them on I figure it would have been really bad.

Oct 29th

Rest day (sit bones sore). Did a few one legged balance drills. BP 106/68. 30pts lower than when I started 5 months ago
== John ==
JGwinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM   #4812
Pepper Montana

10/30
4.3 mile run, plyos and core. Forgot the chest strap. Doh! Going to be ready for five mile runs next week I think.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #4813
skaterdog

18 mile skate. DST is going to force me inside next week.
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:45 PM   #4814
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom Deb View Post
OK, I guess I will post my progress...
Oct. 29
skated one round of Flatwoods today-8miles and got soaked in the last mile. I managed not to fall. The ranger waved and smiled from his truck, as did I in the pouring rain. I also had Jess and Lauren teach me how to rotate my wheels for the first time.

I have a very long way to go...
Hi Debbie, well done and welcome on the board.

Last year at this time I was in rec skates and it was all that I could finish 10miles on flat land So you are right were I was a year ago, it does not have to take a long time.

Go for completing Squiggy maraton in a for you good time and then just keep on training, and you will be ready for A2A next year!

Have fun skating!
Old October 30th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #4815
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

October, 2007 Skate Activity Update:

12 skate sessions. 11.49 total hours of skating. 11.1 miles skated per session. 17.8 averaged top speed. 10.24 average mph per session which includes warmups, cool-downs, and cross street stops or slowdowns. I feel like I'm back to the conditioning level I was at prior to last March's setback and can increase the miles per session and speed, so ...

LezSk8!
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #4816
joshr

Oct 29: Awesome Yoga class. My inner thighs were sore and my hamstrings were very tight from skating over the weekend, class was absolutely sublime.
joshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:06 PM   #4817
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

October 29

AM- 5.5 miles on the treadmill, then some arms/back
PM- Played a little tennis with the offspring - he really isn't that bad at it! I think if he had some lessons he could actually be a decent player.
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #4818
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Oct 28 --pm Session with Madeline, NWGlenn and NWGlenn clann

Madeline is getting more comfortable on her 110s. Now I need to replace her outdoor wheels to 110s (she is running my old VTs.)

Oct 29 -- pm Indoor speed

Oct 30 Off

Did not sleep at all last night and driving/cycling to work would just have been bad.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:08 PM   #4819
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

10/30 7 miles in 38 minutes, about 10 mph, sort of taking it easy. Then did a bunch of crossovers and backward skating and stuff in the parking lot.

My new Radical 100s have been sitting at the UPS facility in Little Rock for over 24 hours! Hey, put 'em on a truck and get 'em down here!
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:35 PM   #4820
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

October 30

AM- 20 mile bike ride, fairly hard, got a little wet. Legs sore
PM- 2 hour indoor practice, did a lot of standing around again. I did learn something new though - apparently you're supposed to put your left foot forward a little when you come around the corner. So while I was waiting for my turn on the floor I rolled around the middle and practiced getting my weight on my left foot. It was really awkward.

October 31

rain, rain, rain, rain
It's a good thing I'm skating inside at least otherwise I'd go crazy.
4 miles on the treadmill - got a side stitch. Then arms and back