S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old January 24th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #81
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

I wouldn't say that - I just spend a lot of time there Please add us as a friend if you're on Myspace. Thanks for the support!
Old January 28th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #82
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default Promo for Squiggy - send if you have any you want included

Anybody out there that are having a race and want your promo in the goodie-bag for Squiggy (March 7-9), please send me the promo no later than March 1.

Send me a PM or email, to get the shipping info - please include your phone number so that I can call you if any other details is needed.

Thanks
Old February 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM   #83
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Default Squiggy Classic Marathon is on in only 35 days!!

It was a great event last year and is going to be just as great this year!

We want to get timing chips, but as everyone that has put on a race knows, those are not cheap to come by.
To help us out with the "can we afford timing chips" decision - it would be so cool and really nice and all those other great ++ words that can be found in the English language, to please start signing up, and to do it now

You can sign up here at active.com

Or send in the paper version - fill it out online (.pdf), print and send http://www.squiggyclassicinline.com/...Reg-Form08.pdf

Also if you sign up now we can guarantee a cool event t-shirt (coolmax alike material - not cotton) in the size made just for you.

Remember:

NO registration on race day! and CASH ONLY do you choose to sign up either Friday or Saturday.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:08 PM   #84
JandKLarson

Birgit and Jessica -

Looks like hubby Kevin and several of his M Team teammates will be coming down, including Nikko (who won the marathon last year?, if I remember correctly). Alas, your's truly will be hangin' out at home with the pooches....
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 09:16 PM   #85
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Birgit and Jessica -

Looks like hubby Kevin and several of his M Team teammates will be coming down, including Nikko (who won the marathon last year?, if I remember correctly). Alas, your's truly will be hangin' out at home with the pooches....
Yay, that sounds great

Bring yourself and the pooches - Flatwoods is "animal friendly" country!!

Nikko did not win last year. Funny you mention his name, we (Jon Jackson from Stardust etc.) told the "3 lap" story at practice just this morning. He is actually logged with a DNF, but I believe that it is incorrect, since I remember him blasting past me, trying to catch the front pack again. Get Jon to tell the story - way fun
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:07 PM   #86
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birgit View Post
Bring yourself and the pooches - Flatwoods is "animal friendly" country!!

Nikko did not win last year. Funny you mention his name, we (Jon Jackson from Stardust etc.) told the "3 lap" story at practice just this morning. He is actually logged with a DNF, but I believe that it is incorrect, since I remember him blasting past me, trying to catch the front pack again. Get Jon to tell the story - way fun
Did Nikko win the time trial then? I seem to remember seeing a "winners" picture of him from Squiggy posted somewhere last year. Now that you mention the marathon, I remember Nikko telling us something about a wrong turn maybe... Or a fall in water...

Pooches and I would love to come down, if it weren't so expensive for us to fly Hopefully I will make it down another year. But hey, if you and Jessica will be at Prospect Park in September, I will definitely be there.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:16 PM   #87
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Did Nikko win the time trial then? I seem to remember seeing a "winners" picture of him from Squiggy posted somewhere last year. Now that you mention the marathon, I remember Nikko telling us something about a wrong turn maybe... Or a fall in water...

Pooches and I would love to come down, if it weren't so expensive for us to fly Hopefully I will make it down another year. But hey, if you and Jessica will be at Prospect Park in September, I will definitely be there.
I'm not sure about the time trials, there was some mix-up with racers so they decided not to post any times at all.

Re. Nikko ask him "how many laps a 4 laps race consist of"

It was very foggy last year and the track was a bit slick in a few areas for the first hr. or so, but nothing like St. Paul 2007!!

To help - so this will not happen this year - we have moved the start till 9am, so that, if there's fog, it will be gone when we start (yes I know that for sure!!!! )

I'm saving money for Prospect Park - I would love to go!
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #88
The General
Ninja Skater

I received an e-mail from the former organizer basically saying that I'm being duped. So let me officially announce to the skating world that:
  1. It was apparent to me, many months ago, that the organizer of the 2008 race would be different from the organizer of previous Squiggy races. The fact that the former organizer is still receiving e-mails and other messages should not be taken as a sign that everyone and their brother doesn't know what's going on. Most of us do know what's going on and just want to race, regardless of who is organizing the race. Whether you use pictures from past Squiggy races or not, most of us still know that SkateTampa and Tampa Bay Road Rollers ARE NOT putting on the event this year. Those who don't know this aren't paying attention and I would imagine they also stand on the top step of their stepladders.
  2. I have no idea the extent of the new organizers experience in organizing these types of events. I have a feeling it is very limited. But I also know that the new organizers have a good amount of experience in participating in events and they have a good idea of what they thought worked well and what did not (e.g., they're trying to get timing chips for the race; that didn't exist last year). I don't think it's uncommon among a lot of start up inline skating events (or even some ongoing events) to have unseasoned organizers and I'm OK with the fact that the event may be run a little differently than in the past. Just because someone hasn't organized an event in the past doesn't mean they can't organize one now. There will undoubtedly be aspects of the event that could be done better, but you could say that about any event - even North Shore (e.g., wouldn't it have been nice to postpone the start so we weren't skating in 34 degree weather). Who knows, there may end up being aspects of this year's event that people like better. No doubt the former organizers will be missed. But that doesn't mean that the new organizers can't do a good job of hosting this event.
  3. If you use a picture of me that came from a previous race, I will not be offended, at all. I see Margo, Jessica, and Ken in 2 of the pictures at the top of the Squiggy Inline web site (www.squiggyclassicinline.com) and I know that they know what's going on. I doubt that they are offended. I see others I know that I can't imagine not being aware and I doubt they would be offended, either.
  4. I do not consider this event "stolen." I am happy that someone found a way to keep another skating event alive. At first, it appeared that the former organizer was only upset with the park officials, decided not to host the event anymore, and had no problem with someone else picking up where they left off. Now, it appears like "I'm going to take my toys and go home" and "if I can't play, neither can you" attitudes have emerged. I'm looking forward to the day when that attitude disappears and we can get back to focusing on participating in skating events because they exist.

I could go on, but I think you get the sentiment here. Can't we all just get along.

See you all at Squiggy,

Don Patton
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM   #89
Jim White

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
have no idea the extent of the new organizers experience in organizing these types of events. I have a feeling it is very limited.
Don Patton
All organizers are well experienced for the jobs they are doing, and have been heavily involved in putting on many of these types of events.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:06 PM   #90
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim White View Post
I have been race director, chief official, and and various other positions at a variety of events including national championships in 3 countries, popular marathons including over 1000 skaters, indoor inline, and ice.
Aaaaaaannnnddddd......
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #91
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Tom D.: Jim White is the one sponsoring Squiggy He was the one that found Jessica and I to put it on - so that Jim puts a note here is just to answer Don, that "yes have experience in making events". And we - Jessica and I - are getting mutitude advise from Jim!

Don:
-Just a short note re. the pictures you talk about they are indeed not stolen or taken or anything else negative.
ALL PICTURES on squiggyclassicinline.com are from either Lenny or Jessica and I have written permission from both to use those pictures.
- Re. experience: I have lots of experience in arrangening events, from small to 1500 persons 24 hr events. I do not have any experience in putting on a skating even, but have been to quite a few. And yes most likely there will be things that could have been better, but hey, that's what Squiggy Classic Inline 2009 is for to make it an even better event.

And then yes I agree with my good friend (a local rec. skater his name is Jeff) when he says "are we going to stand around all day or are we going to skate"!! and is it Speedy that so eloquent has put it "shut up and skate"

Ohh and would I do this over one more time, knowing that even I took over an event that the former organizer had dropped out off and knowing after talking to the former organizer that I had his blessing to put on the event, just to find out that he is sending emails to former participants slandering my name and what not - YES I WOULD still do exactly what I did - namely saving a race from death.

I love to skate and can I - by putting on this event - make a bunch of skaters just a wee bit happy, well I'm all for it!

Looking forward to meet you all in Tampa March 7-9 2008!
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:29 PM   #92
tdellaringa
Charlie Brown on Skates

Quote:
Tom D.: Jim White is the one sponsoring Squiggy He was the one that found Jessica and I to put it on - so that Jim puts a note here is just to answer Don, that "yes have experience in making events". And we - Jessica and I - are getting mutitude advise from Jim!
Ok, thank you for clearing that up LOL. Jim, you left me hanging there . I thought it was just Birgit and Jess. I'm just glad you guys are doing it.
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:35 PM   #93
The General
Ninja Skater

I guess my point was that if your experience was limited, I don't care - I'm still participating. It's a bonus to know that there is extensive experience behind this race.

Thanks,

Don Patton
Old February 6th, 2008, 03:47 PM   #94
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

So was the previous guy making money off the event or what? I still can't figure out why he is upset. Anyway, I am glad someone is doing it, and I hope that everyone has a happy, healthy race.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM   #95
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
So was the previous guy making money off the event or what? I still can't figure out why he is upset. Anyway, I am glad someone is doing it, and I hope that everyone has a happy, healthy race.
Bill and everybody else

I have not said anything about the specifics of the lawsuit - and that will be my viewpoint till it is settled in court.

But yes I and squiggyclassicinline.com was served with a civil lawsuit from the former organizer Dec. 28 2007 about copyright infringement, it was filled "pro se" and filled in Federal Court. I have a lawyer and the lawsuit is in "discovery process" and then it will go to court with a jury. When that is, I have no idea.

One thing I will say though is that I have all the legal documents and those are public records, so if anybody wants to read the premises of the case, I'll send you the files. In those files is also my plead/viewpoint/arguments.

What I will not say is any details and what I think of this and that - yes I have a very clear viewpoint on this - but I will not make it a discussion on a board that is about skating. The lawsuit is filed and my lawyer and the person that filed it against me are taking care of it.

So please board, I know this is just too exciting to discuss here in the midst of winter, where lots of us can't skate. But I beg to you that stop the speculations online and just contact me in person if you have any questions.
As long as this is in "discovery" with the lawyers any discussion/speculation etc is actually not helping me nor the race.

I had hoped that it would not go public, but after this series of emails that has been sent - I guess it has So please let's stop this discussion, let's concentrate on what we are here for, namely to skate and discuss skating.

I will promise that I will let you guys know the outcome of the case, but let the lawyers and courts do their job.

But thanks for all the support and I promise that I, Jessica and Jim will do our outmost to make it a very very good event.
Old February 6th, 2008, 07:47 PM   #96
CKmost

Are you kidding me? (rhetorical) Thats just flat out wrong. From my limited knowledge of common law, i don't see what the damages are. He should not have been profiting from it and it seems to me his problems were with the park authorities. The Squiggy brand is by no means his intellectual property.

Practically speaking, hes not being very practical and to me based on what I know, this is very very slimy. No backbone or moral fiber here...

Unfortunately in this great country that we live in, people are allowed to bring suit for pretty much anything (regardless if it will hold up in court) and in the process so much time and money is wasted.

We need Judge Dredd (aka judge jury and executioner)! People that bring up frivolous lawsuits should be punished more severely...

Makes me angry because Awesome people like yourself volunteer your time and effort (an awesome effort at that) to be punished. And out of all the people someone within the skating community, someone that should know better.

I wish he would let it go and stop being so selfish and proud.
CKmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2008, 11:34 PM   #97
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Birgit, thanks for all you do. Sorry you are having a tough time.
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #98
panch0

Quote:
in the midst of winter, where lots of us can't skate.

I just wanted to remind you that Miami was 84 today! I skated 20 miles.

Sorry... I don't want to rub it in... WAIT! No... I do want to rub it in (with a slice of Jalapeņo pepper!)!
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:35 AM   #99
Birgit
Wittle Wascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by panch0 View Post
I just wanted to remind you that Miami was 84 today! I skated 20 miles.

Sorry... I don't want to rub it in... WAIT! No... I do want to rub it in (with a slice of Jalapeņo pepper!)!
And here I was trying to be polite

Save some of the good weather for the weekend, so Great EsSkate gets tons of happy skaters. I shipped 350 promo pieces, hope that means 350 are coming skating!

edit: weather forecast for Miami Beach for this weekend.
Low 80's and 10-30% chance of showers
I'm sure you can still get a "last minute ticket to the beach" if not I'll take lots of pictures and share with the board. Have a great weekend!

Last edited by Birgit; February 7th, 2008 at 10:58 AM.
Birgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #100
Robbie H

Birgit,

Keep up the good work change the name if you have too call it the "Central Florida Inline March Outdoor Classic"!

I'll be at the skate for the first time, I usually do the cycling part but I guess that part got squashed. Look forward to having fun with people who love to skate!

Hopefuly there will be a few others from Jacksonville as well!

Robbie