S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old June 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM   #421
LISAFER144

Default Anyone do artistic roller skating in Austin, TX

I'm done with the hard core derby and speed skating. Does anyone know of artistic clubs in the Austin and surrounding area? There are a few rinks in Austin but no one does figures only derby or hockey. I know of a club in mesquite TX, does anyone here skate at dads Broadway in mesquite?
LISAFER144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 05:03 AM   #422
NWGlenn

Lisa: Here's a link from the USARS site to South Central region's clubs:

http://www.usarsmembers.org/reports/...&region=A%20SC

Hope this helps.

Glenn
NWGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #423
Gailforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISAFER144 View Post
I'm done with the hard core derby and speed skating. Does anyone know of artistic clubs in the Austin and surrounding area? There are a few rinks in Austin but no one does figures only derby or hockey. I know of a club in mesquite TX, does anyone here skate at dads Broadway in mesquite?
I'm a member of the Broadway Art Club. How can I help you?

Gail
Gailforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 06:49 PM   #424
LISAFER144

Ididnt realize that mesquite was 3hours away from where I am in Austin. Does broadway artistic club practice at other rinks? Would the club be interested in expanding to the Austin area?
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #425
Gailforce

Quote:
Ididnt realize that mesquite was 3hours away from where I am in Austin. Does broadway artistic club practice at other rinks? Would the club be interested in expanding to the Austin area?
We are a very small club (as are most these days). We only practice at the Broadway rink in Mesquite although the other Mesquite rink (Aloha Roller Palace) occasionally has Artistic dance nights on Sundays and some of us go for that. I don't know if a club could work out of more then one rink but I don't think so. Setting up a club is something that has to be done with the rink operator. The Regional rep for our South Central Region is here in the DFW area and could help if you find an Austin rink that would allow an art club.
Old June 15th, 2011, 04:20 AM   #426
LISAFER144

It is too bad that artistic skating is a niche sport nowadays. I'm going to talk to the 2 rinks I know of in the Austin area. I would love the contact info for the south central region rep. I'm not sure how to pitch it to a rink, but hopefully the rep can give me some pointers.

Last edited by LISAFER144; June 15th, 2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old June 16th, 2011, 04:40 PM   #427
Gailforce

Quote:
It is too bad that artistic skating is a niche sport nowadays. I'm going to talk to the 2 rinks I know of in the Austin area. I would love the contact info for the south central region rep. I'm not sure how to pitch it to a rink, but hopefully the rep can give me some pointers.
Here name is Reanon Sandlin and her e-mail is: rerunsk8s@aol.com
Old June 16th, 2011, 05:24 PM   #428
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailforce View Post
Here name is Reanon Sandlin and her e-mail is: rerunsk8s@aol.com
good luck is that after marriage name is it Reanon McCarthy i think before lol?
Old June 17th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #429
Gailforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
good luck is that after marriage name is it Reanon McCarthy i think before lol?
Yes, that's it. Reanon used to post on here occasionally but she now has two small children,works full time, is the pro at one of our DFW rinks and is currently going back to school. I don't know how she does it but she always has a smile on her face everytime I see her and she seems very happy.
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:35 PM   #430
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailforce View Post
Yes, that's it. Reanon used to post on here occasionally but she now has two small children,works full time, is the pro at one of our DFW rinks and is currently going back to school. I don't know how she does it but she always has a smile on her face everytime I see her and she seems very happy.
wow good for her,,,,i remember when i use to watch her at nationals back in the day lol.
Old June 17th, 2011, 10:54 PM   #431
srknurse

Default skating

I feel your pain about the lack of artistic skating clubs. I live in Southeastern Oklahoma; there are no art clubs in the entire state! The closest is Southwestern Arkansas, but I fear I may be too advanced for their club. We'll see; my custom Harlicks are arriving late next month.

I have the option of either skating unattached, representing Oklahoma, or skating for the Arkansas club. They're in separate regions, and haven't given it much thought yet. Any suggestions, Skate Log board participants?

I could represent Texas, but it is not feasible to drive there on the weekends at this point in my life. Perhaps within the next 5 years or so, when my home obligations lessen somewhat...
srknurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:02 AM   #432
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by srknurse View Post
I feel your pain about the lack of artistic skating clubs. I live in Southeastern Oklahoma; there are no art clubs in the entire state! The closest is Southwestern Arkansas, but I fear I may be too advanced for their club. We'll see; my custom Harlicks are arriving late next month.

I have the option of either skating unattached, representing Oklahoma, or skating for the Arkansas club. They're in separate regions, and haven't given it much thought yet. Any suggestions, Skate Log board participants?

I could represent Texas, but it is not feasible to drive there on the weekends at this point in my life. Perhaps within the next 5 years or so, when my home obligations lessen somewhat...
Nurse i think its best to represent a club even if your not there much, unattached almost has a stigma to it and i think usually judges score them less or dont pay as much attention to them. but you judge so you know better then me. maybe represent a texas club even if you dont use it and they will issue you an amateur card.
Old June 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #433
Aaron Inami
Italian Product Freak

Default The Ancient One returns soon....

Hey, just got a note from Jim that he has been extremely busy with work schedules and apologizes for not being around. He's going to be able to come back soon, so standby.
Old June 19th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #434
LISAFER144

Quote:
Originally Posted by srknurse View Post

It sounds like doing something close to home would work out better, you could always try and start a club at the local rink. Just like you once my home obligations lessen i can travel for what i want to do too. i bet those harlicks are going to be nice.
Old August 20th, 2011, 03:40 AM   #435
passthefire

Wink INTRO

My name is Darrell. I have been skating for 38 years. I have never skated in competition. I just got back into skating about 5 months after after not skating for 6 years (rink closed where I skated). I am going to start working as a floor guard where I skate. I average 9 hours a week skating. Currently Skate Riedell 220 boots(old school) on Sure Grip Century plates with China Bones bearings with Bone supper Eliot 57/103a wheels. Bearings and wheels are new boot and plate was bought in 1978. In the near future planning on getting Atlas plates with Riedell 22o boot and bones Swiss bearings. Planning on joining the competition club at the rink.

I live in Pocomoke Maryland and skate at the Crown Skate center in Fruitland Maryland.
passthefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #436
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthefire View Post
My name is Darrell. I have been skating for 38 years. I have never skated in competition. I just got back into skating about 5 months after after not skating for 6 years (rink closed where I skated). I am going to start working as a floor guard where I skate. I average 9 hours a week skating. Currently Skate Riedell 220 boots(old school) on Sure Grip Century plates with China Bones bearings with Bone supper Eliot 57/103a wheels. Bearings and wheels are new boot and plate was bought in 1978. In the near future planning on getting Atlas plates with Riedell 22o boot and bones Swiss bearings. Planning on joining the competition club at the rink.

I live in Pocomoke Maryland and skate at the Crown Skate center in Fruitland Maryland.
good luck with everything and enjoy the new skates while you break them in.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:38 AM   #437
markieallan

Default markieallan

Howdy fellow artistic sk8er's out there

Returned recently from the 2011 Nationals in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. It was an excellent city & venue that this yrs. Nationals was held at !! Gr8 sk8ing was available 4 all to see & be a part of !! Hopefully we can promote the sport & get the #'s back that we had in the early 90's to mid-90's. With proper P.R. & leadership, I think it can become a reality !! Nationals will be in Lincoln, Neb. for 2012 & back to Ft. Wayne for 2013.
Keep your heads up & talk up & demonstrate how awesome our sport is & can be !! God Bless & Have a Gr8 rest of 2011 & an awesome 2012 !!!
markieallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 03:10 AM   #438
KMA

My goal is to make it to a nationals. I hope it will be this year at Lincoln. I am saving assuming it will be.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #439
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Guys!!!! Hi, I'm back.. finally... got in touch with Kathie to sort my account out and I feel bad for not being logged on is soooooooooo long!! For those I know on Facebook will no I hadn't disappeared! Looking forward to catching up!
Jayson
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2011, 03:29 AM   #440
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
Guys!!!! Hi, I'm back.. finally... got in touch with Kathie to sort my account out and I feel bad for not being logged on is soooooooooo long!! For those I know on Facebook will no I hadn't disappeared! Looking forward to catching up!
Jayson
At one time you were posting some basic instructions you taught your students. I don't know if they are still on the web somewhere, but if they are, please send a link. Thanks a lot.
Bob