S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 16th, 2017, 09:43 PM   #1
amohrfeld

Default Riedell boot problem

Only 2 hr on this new boot and the internal lining is folding over. This fold creates a "high point" that is rubbing the top of my ankle. You can see the blood spot. Any way to fix this?

20171014_111759[1] by Austin Mohrfeld, on Flickr
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2017, 11:13 AM   #2
rwsz

are you lacing it all the way up and is the tongue inside or sliding?? otherwise you could use a cushion of some type there
Old October 25th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #3
Ancient1

mole skin can help. till it heals you can put a touch of antibiotic ointment on a little cotton and press it against the sore then put the mole skin over it. then the sock then the boot.

use saddle soap on the boot, especially where it is very stiff then polish it. Lace it up all the way and tight so it doesn't rub.

good luck
Old November 4th, 2017, 02:55 AM   #4
amohrfeld

The boot is tight. I tried loosening it for a few laps and things got worse. The issue is there is too much material on the inside. Or maybe my ankles are too skinny. The lining folds over on itself (see pic). I moved the tongue a little by using the center hook. It helped, but also moved the problem to the other side.

I'm not worried about the blister. I'm worried that my new boots don't work like I expected. I don't have this issue on my older 220 or 297.
Old November 7th, 2017, 03:20 AM   #5
netplaceus
David Kennedy

Default Guess this will be my first post!

I had something very similar on my 297 boots. The "cure" took a week or two but I no longer have the problem.

Get some Mink oil and rub it in real good! You don't need to do that one spot, you can do the whole inside of your boots if you like. Over time it makes the leather softer and it creases less because it is softer. Many skaters love the stuff! It takes time though.

As for that one spot you can make it work faster with a hair dryer, get it good and hot before you apply and it will suck it right in.

You can also gently pound it flat (between to objects), just use common sense. Leather is surprisingly malleability and remembers. You could even stretch that one spot if need be.

Once that Mink oil sinks in it will be harder to bunch (less friction).

I did it on my 297's, it will make the leather a litter darker on the inside. As the leather becomes softer it will better form to your feet.

And by the way our feet change over time, it may have nothing to do with the boot (but I agree, it seems more likely).

2 hours is nothing. Almost no one steps into a new 297 boot (or similar) without problems, or so I have been told over and over. It was months before I loved mine, and I did have to fiddle with a few problems, but it is leather and leather can be altered! Don't give up, you still have MANY options.

Today (months later) I feel like my feet are one with my boots, perfect!

No worries, it is very likely you can make this go away.

Good Luck!

Last edited by netplaceus; November 7th, 2017 at 07:05 PM.
netplaceus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2017, 01:44 PM   #6
emtdpf

when I got new 297s, i used waterproff tape on the hot spots.......

Nowadays, I see that a lot of people are using that K-T tape, seems to work for them.....

at practise, I didnt have a cut off...... it was 4-5 hours at a time.... feet bled a little the first time, but after the taping... just a little sore for a month or so.....

Dont give up, its a great boot!
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 06:15 PM   #7
BigFoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by netplaceus View Post
Get some Mink oil and rub it in...stretch that one spot if need be.
Oooh, blood on the lining. That brought back memories of my new 595's. My rub was lower on the ankle. I had the problem for weeks, wearing holes in my skin and ignoring the pain.

Taping will help, but that is an awkward place to tape. You may need to wrap all the way around the ankle to get it to hold. KT Tape may work better. Supposedly it uses a stronger adhesive.

I agree with NETPLACEUS. Mink oil will help soften it. In fact, I put oil on the entire boot about once a year as a conditioner and preservative (boot maintenance). Many products add soap, mineral oil, wax, fragrance and other things to mink oil. I like 100 percent pure oil. I buy a 4 oz. bottle (listed under "bulk mink oil") for $12 from a place called minkoilforskincare.com Yes, people use it as a skin conditioner, too. It's great stuff.

I also stretched out the spot overnight with a golf ball, ring and c-clamp. That helped, but was not a total fix. In the end it took several weeks of old fashioned break-in before it completely went away.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2017, 02:57 PM   #8
amohrfeld

Thanks for the info.
I used a clamp to push it out a little. I also found wearing 2 socks helps because to bulks up that area. So less leather is bunching.

I was also thinking about using water and a heat gun to "shrink" the leather. Has anyone tried this?
Old November 18th, 2017, 04:34 PM   #9
Ancient1

I don't know if they would do this but asking can't hurt: Maybe call Reidell and ask them if they can fix the boot to eliminate the problem or better yet email them with the picture you provided and ask if they can fix the boot. If you email them, you might give a link to this forum and this topic. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Thanks for the info.
I used a clamp to push it out a little. I also found wearing 2 socks helps because to bulks up that area. So less leather is bunching.

I was also thinking about using water and a heat gun to "shrink" the leather. Has anyone tried this?
Old Yesterday, 04:22 AM   #10
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Before you send them back try this- wear a thin sock and and dampen it. Lace up the skates and skate them until they are dry.
BPTS is offline   Reply With Quote