S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:49 PM   #81
bjvircks
Major Trouble

A1&2, B1&2
edit: took down the plot... I screwed up some calculations
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:35 PM   #82
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

That is a big gap in A2. Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #83
bjvircks
Major Trouble

it turns out the A1&2, B1&2 plot lines were correct... just didn't seem to correlate with prior (combined) plot

Last edited by bjvircks; October 5th, 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: added plot that includes '12
bjvircks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #84
ramarfori

I believe both 2012 and 2013 were not your typical races due to the wind conditions. 2012 had a very strong tailwind. Many of the age records fell that year and most of them were replacing the ones from 1998. 2013 was of course the opposite with a strong headwind. You may have to go back to 2011 to find times that are closer to what would be considered 'normal' for Duluth.
ramarfori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #85
bjvircks
Major Trouble

I would have to agree with you, ramarfori. However, I don't have much depth in this matter, considering '11 was my first NSIM. While the results plot is time based... what I am more interested in is the distribution within each group as well as the separation between groups. Seeing this information has helped me to understand a little better which wave I should be in so that I can perform well without being in over my head.

One plot I will put together shortly (firstly, for my own use...maybe I'll post) is lumping together all elite and advanced men in my age bracket in order to see if I should consider moving to elite or just be content with moving up to A.

Considering '12 was tailwind and '13 was headwind... what tactics worked (or didn't) each year? In B1 this year for me the tactic was, in essence, get a seat on the bus and keep it, then just ride the bus to the finish line. It almost worked, except for the calf cramp at 20.5 which ended up costing me about 3:30
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:43 AM   #86
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
I would have to agree with you, ramarfori. However, I don't have much depth in this matter, considering '11 was my first NSIM. While the results plot is time based... what I am more interested in is the distribution within each group as well as the separation between groups. Seeing this information has helped me to understand a little better which wave I should be in so that I can perform well without being in over my head.

One plot I will put together shortly (firstly, for my own use...maybe I'll post) is lumping together all elite and advanced men in my age bracket in order to see if I should consider moving to elite or just be content with moving up to A.

Considering '12 was tailwind and '13 was headwind... what tactics worked (or didn't) each year? In B1 this year for me the tactic was, in essence, get a seat on the bus and keep it, then just ride the bus to the finish line. It almost worked, except for the calf cramp at 20.5 which ended up costing me about 3:30
Bjvirks, if you are going to jump up a division, try A1. A lot of the guys in A1 have recently raced with the Masters Elite group. One of the guys I train with, actually, who finished 4th overall. He is very fast, and did well in A1. I skated A2 because I had been doing pretty well sticking with the lead Advanced pack at other races this year, and was in the hunt at the sprint for the MN Half. I think I was where I should have been, and will likely sign up for the same wave next year, unless I have a very productive off season, such that A1 is a real possibility for me. My first year at NSIM was also 2011. I skated in Wave 1 that year. I missed last year, but a lot of the people I skated with last year skated Wave A, so I thought I could manage that group. A2 seemed a good fit for my abilities, and I think I was right this year. I hope I can move up next year.