S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 25th, 2013, 08:23 PM   #61
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
It may be the compression settings on the converter. I edit everything in a raw format, so the final edited video is 47.5 gigs. I use a converter to compress it down, and I think the codec I used this time around messed it up. The converted video from the editor looks the same, oddly, but the original video is fine. I may try redoing the edit and the encode to see if I can get a better final product.
Isn't it smaller coming off the SD card? Going to raw from a compressed format doesn't really get you anything except a really full hard drive, lol!
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #62
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Isn't it smaller coming off the SD card? Going to raw from a compressed format doesn't really get you anything except a really full hard drive, lol!
I use the free version of Lightworks to edit the video, which requires jumping through some hoops to get the codecs into a format that will work. I have to convert the h264 encoded .mov into an mjpeg format, which basically converts the footage to raw. Basically, it goes from 5 gigs of video from the camera to 55 gigs for the edit. I add the overlay, the titles (which are images edited in GIMP and inserted into the timeline in the video editor), apply the appropriate effects, edit the footage to what I want from the original, then export. The export was about 48 gigs. I then convert it down with Any Video Converter, to a customized .avi file. I think the settings for the export messed up the frame rate on the video making it look choppy. I will have to mess with it some more. It is a lot of work. I am considering switching to DashWare or paying for the full version of Lightworks...
Old July 25th, 2013, 11:18 PM   #63
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
I use the free version of Lightworks to edit the video, which requires jumping through some hoops to get the codecs into a format that will work. I have to convert the h264 encoded .mov into an mjpeg format, which basically converts the footage to raw. Basically, it goes from 5 gigs of video from the camera to 55 gigs for the edit. I add the overlay, the titles (which are images edited in GIMP and inserted into the timeline in the video editor), apply the appropriate effects, edit the footage to what I want from the original, then export. The export was about 48 gigs. I then convert it down with Any Video Converter, to a customized .avi file. I think the settings for the export messed up the frame rate on the video making it look choppy. I will have to mess with it some more. It is a lot of work. I am considering switching to DashWare or paying for the full version of Lightworks...
Yes, that does sound like a lot of work. I wondered why you had the heart rate dial in the video when you didn't have any heart data. Knowing that it is kind of your standard overlay makes sense.

My older video glasses recorded to a .avi file and I was able to compress with VirtualDub. The camera I used at Chicago writes to a .mov file which is not understood by VirtualDub so I used AVS Video Editor. I bought the full version and it seems to work fairly well. Takes a long time to convert but it is still faster than real time. I don't have any GPS data or heart data so I don't have to mess with overlays. I don't like knowing my heart rate when I skate. I think it psyches me out if I do know. If I do use a monitor, I put it on my helmet so that I can't see it and so the stupid GPS doesn't lose signal.
Old July 26th, 2013, 01:26 PM   #64
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Yes, that does sound like a lot of work. I wondered why you had the heart rate dial in the video when you didn't have any heart data. Knowing that it is kind of your standard overlay makes sense.

My older video glasses recorded to a .avi file and I was able to compress with VirtualDub. The camera I used at Chicago writes to a .mov file which is not understood by VirtualDub so I used AVS Video Editor. I bought the full version and it seems to work fairly well. Takes a long time to convert but it is still faster than real time. I don't have any GPS data or heart data so I don't have to mess with overlays. I don't like knowing my heart rate when I skate. I think it psyches me out if I do know. If I do use a monitor, I put it on my helmet so that I can't see it and so the stupid GPS doesn't lose signal.
AVS is decent software. I have used the free version in the past. For the overlays, I need something that can do a chromakey. AVS does it, but in sort of a wonky way. It also doesn't have the sharpest tuning for chromakey. Lightworks provides a lot of options in the free version, like better transitions, that AVS and some of the others don't provide. If I were to go to DashWare, I would still have to edit titles and transitions in Lightworks, but the general process of creating the gauges and videos would be easier and more powerful. I just can't justify the money at the moment. I didn't take the HR gauge off party out of laziness and partly as a method of self shaming... It is easy to tweak the overlay in the software I use to make it, but I wanted the reminder that I messed up when using my Garmin.
Old January 5th, 2014, 01:47 AM   #65
kufman

Ok, digging up this thread to post links to my re-encoded version of this years race. I realized one day that the one I had on YouTube had an encoding problem and needed to be fixed. The new one is 3 parts and up to 720p since I have a better ISP now. The end of the race got chopped off when my camera died.

http://youtu.be/0rFL09daoaU

http://youtu.be/USIHOfMpLxs

http://youtu.be/7Ats47U7SJY

Race Results

http://www.pigmantri.com/jmsracing/r...13/clim13a.pdf