S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:22 PM   #1
Alyosha

Default Roll for the Roses

This is just a small, municipal race in the Twin Cities tomorrow. I'm guessing most of the MN folks know if they're going or not. A fun note, thought, is that it will be broadcast on local cable and live streamed on the web. Check it out if you're up early tomorrow. The skaters will probably be coming across the finish line just before 8:15.

Quote:
Hi Rollers,

I wanted to pass this info on to all of you, whether you are participating or not this year you can follow along:

Online Registration is still open and you can always register on Saturday morning as well!

http://www.active.com/running/rosevi...the-roses-2012

Rosefest 2012 is just a "Tweet" away ... #rosefest2012

Roseville Parks and Recreation is pleased to announce that the finish of the Run and Roll for the Roses event will be broadcast on CTV15 locally. The finish of the Run and Roll races, can also be viewed on the internet by watching the live webstream at www.skatetheoval.com. The webstream broadcast will also feature selected tweets that use #rosefest2012. Family and friends can send along words of congratulations as participants cross the finish line. Spectators along the course are encouraged to tweet updates of leaders during the event.

Please let your family and friends know that they are able to be a part of Rosefest 2012 even if they are not able to be there in person!

If you can't make it to Lexington Avenue on Monday evening watch the annual Roseville Rose Parade live on CTV Channel 15 beginning at 6:15pm, Monday, June 25.
July 4th Concerts in the Park are also broadcast on CTV Channel 15 beginning at 7:30pm.

Check out the entire Rosefest lineup at www.cityofroseville.com

Friends and Fans of Rosefest will be Tweeting updates and highlights throughout Rosefest - follow the fun at #rosefest2012.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2
ThePerambulator

Looking forward to this one. Very cool that it's getting some air time, even if it is only the finish line.
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Alyosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerambulator View Post
Looking forward to this one. Very cool that it's getting some air time, even if it is only the finish line.
Have you done it before? Its a fun race, but get ready for hills and more hills. Check the elevation plot from this race last year - it's relentless.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM   #4
ThePerambulator

Haha yeah that looks a little ridiculous. I haven't done this race before. I did Grand Old Day and that was somewhat hilly but not as much as this one it seems.

Looks like you finished about 6 seconds ahead of me at Grand Old Day -- i'll see if I can keep up this time around
Old June 23rd, 2012, 07:27 PM   #5
Alyosha

http://www.inlineskatempls.com/?p=4638 - The usual write-up.

A fun race, short but sweet. Things kept piling up on the big, early hills and I got stuck behind a group that had no qualms about getting gapped. By the time I had some space a lead group of 7-8 guys was already out of reach (not that I could have hung with them in the long run anyway) so I stuck with the chase pack all race. I had a couple minute flyer with a couple guys while the pack continued to "dawdle" up hills but got chased down eventually. After that it was just a matter of staying towards the front of the group and ignoring my body when it told me to ease back while climbing hills.
Old June 23rd, 2012, 10:45 PM   #6
ThePerambulator

I'm not sure what happened for me at this race. I was in the back of your paceline for the first mile or maybe two, but then suddenly you guys just took off and I spent the next couple miles trying to catch back up. Couldn't do it and ended up about a minute behind you guys at the finish. Not my best race, that is for sure.

Overall impression of the Roll for the Roses was very positive. Well organized, well marked, good turnout, and a surprisingly smooth course overall. The hills sucked, but they're a great workout. I'll definitely do this one again next year.
Old May 10th, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Alyosha

To save making another thread, registration for this year's race is now open. - I know I had seen someone wondering whether it was still on for this year.

This is a surprisingly fun race. It's only 10k, but the hills and turns make it challenge both technically and fitness-wise. I strongly recommend it for anyone in the area that might be on the fence about it.
Old May 12th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #8
Dieselgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
To save making another thread, registration for this year's race is now open. - I know I had seen someone wondering whether it was still on for this year.

This is a surprisingly fun race. It's only 10k, but the hills and turns make it challenge both technically and fitness-wise. I strongly recommend it for anyone in the area that might be on the fence about it.
I was unaware about this event/race. I might have to come over and skate. Always looking for more local events to skate in.
Dieselgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Alyosha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgeek View Post
I was unaware about this event/race. I might have to come over and skate. Always looking for more local events to skate in.
I'm glad to hear it, I hope you can make and have a good time.
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:05 PM   #10
WonderGirl

Default Great event

Oh this takes me back. Roll for the Roses was the first skate event I ever placed many years ago. I am happy to see that it is still going strong. Though the hills are killer compared to many other events it is fun and I do miss it very much. Go, feel the burn, enjoy.

Renee
Old June 12th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #11
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Default Parking?

What are the best parking options for this race? Any other tips, like packet pick up info?

I will be coming from Rochester, MN, the morning of, and am attempting to get a plan together for myself and those traveling with me.
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:18 PM   #12
ThePerambulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
What are the best parking options for this race? Any other tips, like packet pick up info?

I will be coming from Rochester, MN, the morning of, and am attempting to get a plan together for myself and those traveling with me.
Great that you're coming up for the race! There is a parking lot at the Oval that most people park at. Last year the smaller parking lot on the front side filled up somewhat early, but there was room in the back lot.

Here is the parking lot I am referring to.
Packet pick up last year was inside the admin building at the Oval right by the parking lot. Didn't take long since it's a small race.

Can't wait!
Old June 12th, 2013, 10:41 PM   #13
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I am expecting the main group to drop me pretty quick. I just want to be able to keep up for the first mile, if possible, and finish around 20 to 22 minutes. I am looking forward to the race. I will probably be the only Team Rainbo member there, so I shouldn't be too hard to miss.
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #14
Dieselgeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
I'm glad to hear it, I hope you can make and have a good time.
So I'm an idiot, and forget at times that I don't work a normal schedule... and therefore will be working and not able to attend the race.
Dieselgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:54 PM   #15
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Any thoughts on the weather for tomorrow? I am planning on bringing rain gear, but hoping it won't be necessary.
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:21 PM   #16
ThePerambulator

50% chance of rain/storms all morning, but who knows...maybe we'll get another miracle dry spell like at Apostle.

Wet & hilly, what's not to like?
Old June 21st, 2013, 09:34 PM   #17
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerambulator View Post
50% chance of rain/storms all morning, but who knows...maybe we'll get another miracle dry spell like at Apostle.

Wet & hilly, what's not to like?
At least it is supposed to be warm...
Old June 21st, 2013, 11:28 PM   #18
Alyosha

If you've never been on the oval when it's wet, it's about as slippery as if you were trying to use your inlines on the ice. It can make for an interesting end to the race. Let's hope there's no rain after midnight.
Old June 24th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #19
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Too bad we didn't get to skate. I came ready for the rain, and it didn't look like I was the only one. We left our house in Rochester about 6:20 AM, and I neglected to check my email, which received the cancellation notice at 6:05, otherwise I would have gone back to bed. At least I got a t-shirt. Hope to see you guys at Chicagoland, MN Half, or NSIM.
Old June 24th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #20
ThePerambulator

Very disappointing. 4 races in June last year, only 1 this year. Chicago is next for me.