S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 30th, 2013, 04:21 AM   #41
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Another Minnesotan who will be there. I am happy to be racing again! 1st race since NSIM 2010 due to lingering injuries which kept me from consistent training. I will call it a success if I can compete decently (not get dropped in the first few miles ).
MNGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 04:24 PM   #42
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Sk8er View Post
I'm actually doing this one this year (2013) because over the course of the past year I have also become a runner; I'm registered for the duathlon.
I can almost guarantee that you're gonna love this race for reasons I gave in a previous post in this thread.

Due to unfortunate circumstances that are beyond my control, I won't be there this year and I'm bummed about about it , but best of luck to you in the duathalon and everybody else in whatever race you're doing!

See you all there next year (I hope)!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:14 PM   #43
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNGreene View Post
Another Minnesotan who will be there. I am happy to be racing again! 1st race since NSIM 2010 due to lingering injuries which kept me from consistent training. I will call it a success if I can compete decently (not get dropped in the first few miles ).
I made it to mile marker 9 last year with the main pack in the open wave last year. I am hoping to finish the race with that group this year. We will see, they set a blazing pace from the start. I only stuck with the lead pack in Chicago this year for about 6 or so miles. With only two weeks between races, who knows. You are welcome to bring up the rear with the rest of us stragglers.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:01 PM   #44
Alyosha

Note on the awards:

Award distribution will start immediately after the first set of results is posted. Please find the blue and white "Minnesota Running Series" tent near the Athlete Village for results, a photo opportunity on the Podium AND to see if you are an award winner.
There is NOT an official award ceremony at the Minnesota Half Marathon.
Please make every effort to check the results and see if you are an award winner. The results will be "as live" on the Prime Time Timing smart phone application (available for iPhone and Android devices)

I can't say I'm brokenhearted over the lack of an awards ceremony, I seldom stay for them, but I'm a little surprised they cut it altogether. I wonder if they're just trying to cut costs by shortening how long the even lasts?

Regardless, the weather looks great, the course seems like it's still in fine condition, and I'm ready to skate.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:07 PM   #45
Alyosha

Fantastic race. Perfect weather (sunny, cool, next-to-no wind) and great competition.

InlineSkateMpls article here.

I started with the pro group and no amount of wheel sucking was going to help keep up with the pace these guys started at. By the time I dropped, after about a mile, I was getting gapped doing 24 mph going up a slight incline. Perambulator and Tom Peterson made a heroic go of trying to catch the lead pack but they were just too fast. It seemed like they slowed to more reasonable speeds after about 3 miles, as they quit pulling away from the chase pack for a while, but there was no way we were going to catch them.

The rest of the race was, more or less, cooperative. There were a few surges and a few hard pulls going up the hills but, for the most part, the group just settled in to a nice, fast pace. Thus, we ended up with a field sprint at the end and, somewhat humorously, it started about 200 yards too early. Somebody jumped out of line and started going for it so everyone else followed suit. With about 100-200 yards left before the finish line, everybody fell back into line and rested for a few beats because we were all totally gassed. Then we gave it one last push but it was a bit the sprinting was a little less impressive than on the first try.

All in all, I had a ton of fun. I would have liked to stay with the lead pack, but I ended up skating a strong race and competed to the very best of my ability, which is usually all the more I can hope for.
Old August 4th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #46
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Default Open race

I skated the open race, and was just hoping to stick with the main pack all the way to the finish this year. Last year, they dropped me at mile 9 and I just couldn't bridge the gap.

Out of the gate, the pace was fast but consistent. There was an issue with the slower duathlon skaters as the main pack came by. It was big at first, maybe 35 skaters deep, with a mix of several teams. We stayed together pretty well through the first turn around under the bridge. On the long stretch the pace waffled between 16 and 18 mph or so. As we went past the start line the pace picked up again and we were consistently in the 18 to 20 mph range. For me, that is really, really, fast. Looking at my GPS data, the slowest mile for the race was around 3:40 minutes and the fastest, the last mile, was 2:30 minutes. As we approached the turn around to head toward the finish, I got a bit nervous because the pack dropped me at that point last year. I just kept pushing, stuck with the pack up the hill toward the turn, and managed to stay with the pack at the turn. After that, the pace slowed a little, like everyone was catching their breath. It meant I was able to recover a bit, also.

We moved through the hills on the return section headed toward the finish and one of my team mates, who was skating directly in front of me, decided to move up in the line. I jumped out after him, and little did we know it would turn into a very brief flyer up the steep hill. We crested the hill, he dropped behind me, the pack caught up, and we went down the other side. I expected the pack to come around me pretty quick, but no one made a move as I coasted. As the next hill climb started, the pack came around me, and I dropped back 10 to 15 positions. The pace evened out again at that point with a couple of miles left in the race. At that point, I was just hoping I could keep pace. We got into the last mile and the pace really picked up. 500 meters or so to the finish, the pack split a part for the finish sprint. Everyone was pretty much on their own as we went flying toward the finish. About 20 or so guys finished all over the place in the pack as the announcer directed the spectators at the finish to the pack moving through.

It was a great race for me, and I set a new personal best of 40:49.88 based on the gun time. I think I could have put a little more effort into the finish, but besides that it was a great race. My HR data suggests I need to train at higher HR levels also because my average HR for this race was about 10 points higher than my recent training trends.

This was a terrific race. Even though it is only a Half Marathon, this is one people should put on their attendance list. The Duathlon is unique, but the surface is decent, the course does not have many hills, and, this year, the weather couldn't have been better. My only criticism is that the duathlon would be moved, or, at least, give them instructions on staying out of the way of the fast skaters in the open division. It could be a safety hazard.

I will have my video posted once I am finished with the editing. At least this one will be interesting to watch as I am in the pack the entire race.
Old August 4th, 2013, 01:19 AM   #47
Alyosha

Great race, man. Once you're getting to a 40 minute half marathon time, you're really moving.
Old August 4th, 2013, 02:47 AM   #48
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
Great race, man. Once you're getting to a 40 minute half marathon time, you're really moving.
It was crazy fast for me. I am glad I managed to keep up. I wouldn't have been able to keep up for another lap.
Old August 4th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #49
MNGreene
No Witty Title

I skated the open race too. I had a WAY better race than expected. Glad you guys had good races too. We have different abilities but all had our own successes.

My race:

It was a beautiful day for a race with great cooperation in the Open pack. It seemed like the veteran guys controlled the pace, which was quite a bit slower than my last MN Half 3 years ago. With the slower pace and skating smarter, I still felt very fresh at 5 miles. At about 8.5 miles, going up the long hill before the turnaround, I thought I would move up in line so the lead guys would not get away from me like last time. I passed 15 or so guys and for some reason just kept going. No one went with me and I had 50-75 meters on the pack by the turnaround. I figured no one wanted to go get me so I thought I'd try to make the break stick. Skated alone until about 1 mile left when a 19 year old who had broken away from the pack caught me. We skated together until the end when the pack caught us and one guy passed me. I thought I finished 3rd in the Open but Bob Losby apparently finished 14 seconds in front of us, so that would make me 4th. I was unaware he had broken away and never saw him, but Adam from Adam's Inline said he won, so I believe it.

My time was much slower than 3 years ago, but I raced more competitively. My results were better than I could have dreamed of for my first race back with no knowledge of my current ability. I am super happy with the race!

It was great seeing a lot of skating friends again. Skaters are a good group of people!
Old August 4th, 2013, 04:41 AM   #50
Alyosha

A couple nice pictures from the chase pack finishing. Does Herb Gayle ever not look incredibly cool?

Shamelessly taken from here

Old August 4th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #51
ThePerambulator

Look! I'm on TV! Those are awesome pictures.

Uploading my gopro video as we speak, I'll post the link when its done.
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2013, 04:01 AM   #52
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

My video will be live at the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTVpvZzE4YM
Old August 5th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #53
ThePerambulator

Video from Pro Elite wave (mostly from the chase pack)

http://youtu.be/Js20sJrLo-I
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #54
Alyosha

Great video Chris. I didn't realize you and Tom got quite so close to the lead pack before the turn around. It looks like you're about to catch them and then, next thing you know, they're out of reach.
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #55
ThePerambulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
Great video Chris. I didn't realize you and Tom got quite so close to the lead pack before the turn around. It looks like you're about to catch them and then, next thing you know, they're out of reach.
Can't help but wonder if I could have stayed with them if I'd been more aggressive at the beginning. Everything happened so fast that a lot of the positioning came down to luck in the first 30 seconds or so. Not unhappy with the end result, but man it would have been awesome to finish in the top 10.
Old August 5th, 2013, 06:41 PM   #56
Alyosha

I agree on all points. You can see Paul blast off the front in your video, but I never saw him when I was skating. I was just sorting myself out after the start when the pace all of a sudden exploded - next thing I knew I was in no man's land between packs. Even if I had held on I'm not sure it would have been for very long.
Old August 6th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #57
MNGreene
No Witty Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDonnybrook View Post
My video will be live at the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTVpvZzE4YM
Thanks for the video! It was really fun to relive the race.
Old August 6th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #58
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Sorry for there being so much skin-suited rear end in the frame. I wheelsucked a lot for that race. Any suggestions for videos from races? I am going to keep shooting video, they are great for reviewing what was going on from a fitness perspective during the race and help to focus training.
Old August 7th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #59
kufman

Youtube sucks!! They have disabled video downloading
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #60
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Youtube sucks!! They have disabled video downloading
YT only trys to disable video downloading, but somebody always comes up with a program to outsmart them. One that currently works is http://keepvid.com/ which is what I used to download both of the above vids. It's free and easy.

BTW, thanks to Donnybrook and Perambulator for the vids. Both are among the best helmet cam vids on YT!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote