S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 1st, 2013, 05:28 AM   #1
ajasen

Default Nyc 100k and marathon

Registration wasn't open for the longest time, but I randomly checked and it's open now. Race day sept. 28.

http://www.skatemarathon.org/Skate_M...kate_Home.html
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:07 AM   #2
clout7

I registered on Aug 8th, a day or two after it opened. This will be my first marathon
clout7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 11:43 PM   #3
gopherfan

I once again signed up for the 19 hill climbs. I'm regretting already.

Somewhat related, the Verrazano toll is now $15 (eastbound). I'm coming north on the Jersey turnpike and typically take the Goethals and Verrazano bridges. It looks like I could save $12 in tolls by continuing further north and taking the Holland Tunnel and Brooklyn bridge. Google says an extra 10 minutes, but I suspect it would be more like 20 due to extra lights. Anyone with insight on this option for the early AM of the race? Alternatively, is there a place to park in Jersey and take transit into the city without too much extra travel time?
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
clout7

The verazzano toll is westbound. Going into staten island you pay, going to brooklyn is clear. If you want to go back via the brooklyn bridge that makes sense but only if you're comfortable driving in manhatthan. It'll def take you longer that way.
clout7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #5
ajasen

From what little I saw, it looked like the 100k lead pack mostly stayed together. Matzger ramped it up on the 2nd to last lap, led for at least one lap, and got outsprinted by one skater?

Beautiful day.

My lower back spasmed les than halfway into the marathon distance, so most of the race I had my forearms on my thighs trying to spare my back. legs were pretty fresh at the end.
Old September 29th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #6
gopherfan

1- Mauricio Dierra
2- Eddy Matzger
3- Danny Brown
4- Luis Carlos Meija

The pace wasn't too bad much of the race. My time was around 3:20, maybe losing 10 minutes off the winning time. On climb 17 (of 19) Eddy attacked. I was in perfect position to see it develop as he was right behind me, but I didn't respond. I couldn't quite get back on as about 10 skaters chased Eddy. It was a photo finish for 3rd. They didn't have timing chips and they were staring into a camera after Luis Carlos was initially given 3rd podium spot. I heard it was a fraction of a wheel.

Mauricio won king of the hill and the sprint championship as well and I think Danny was 2nd in both.

It was perfect weather and for me personally, by far my best 100k. At one point late in the race Francisco turned told me I was skating awesome. I was pretty sure I heard him right, but I asked him to repeat just to make sure. I'm even considering upgrading my A2A registration from 38 to 87.

The most outstanding display of athletic skill was me tossing an empty water bottle into a garbage can from a good 10 yards away while in the paceline. I didn't actually see it with the air time as I rolled away, but I heard it hit the can and Eddy said it went in.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #7
JandKLarson

Daniel Brown's Mom, Lisa, took a bunch of nice shots of the race.

https://www.facebook.com/lisa.schadt...3533612&type=3

Looks like it was a great day for a race. Congrats to our teammates, Daniel Brown (3rd in 100k overall), Aiden Brown (2nd in Half Marathon), Jonathan Black (1st in Advanced Marathon), Jamie Shriner (2nd in age group) and Eric Rubin! Nice job too, Brian (gopherfan).
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2013, 01:11 AM   #8
PBLsQuad450

Wow, those are great shots, you really feel the race... Thanks J and K for posting!! Congrats to all the SLFers that raced!
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #9
Oncefast

Are results posted anywhere?
Oncefast is offline   Reply With Quote