S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old September 11th, 2006, 02:40 PM   #1
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

Default A2A 2006 Roll Call

I'm in for the 87.

Goal time, Roughly 6 hrs.

Who else?

Dev Gnoll.
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 02:59 PM   #2
speedysktr
President of Everything

what? you want us to skate 87 miles? all in one day? all at one time? without stopping? hmmm, sounds sort of challenging. Maybe, I'll give it a try.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #3
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

I've been set on 87 from the outset, but now we've got Napalm on the big bite too! Goal? Stay ahead of the pick-up wagon. Tough to speculate since I've never skated it before. If it was the Suncoast I'd try for under 6 hours, as for this one, let's see if we can get it in in 8 hours.

BTW, I was just logging on to create a page specific to A2A, since Dev started it, I'll expand it's use to include last minute questions from newbies to veterans. HEY SAGE!!, now that we've got the Napalm Balm on for the full bite and won't be taking a bus back to Athens from the 38 mile point, what's the best plan of attack? We'll be in the same Athens hotel as you, can we skate to the starting line from there? Isn't there a baggage bus at the Classic Center to take our gear to Atlanta? So how did we get to Athens in the first place? Do we participate in the Friday night skate in Atlanta, take the bus to Athens that night leaving our car somewhere in Atlanta (shudder) and then hope it's still there when we get there on Sunday? Advice? JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #4
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
I've been set on 87 from the outset, but now we've got Napalm on the big bite too! Goal? Stay ahead of the pick-up wagon. Tough to speculate since I've never skated it before. If it was the Suncoast I'd try for under 6 hours, as for this one, let's see if we can get it in in 8 hours.

BTW, I was just logging on to create a page specific to A2A, since Dev started it, I'll expand it's use to include last minute questions from newbies to veterans. HEY SAGE!!, now that we've got the Napalm Balm on for the full bite and won't be taking a bus back to Athens from the 38 mile point, what's the best plan of attack? We'll be in the same Athens hotel as you, can we skate to the starting line from there? Isn't there a baggage bus at the Classic Center to take our gear to Atlanta? So how did we get to Athens in the first place? Do we participate in the Friday night skate in Atlanta, take the bus to Athens that night leaving our car somewhere in Atlanta (shudder) and then hope it's still there when we get there on Sunday? Advice? JB
Wooohoooo!! I'm so happy she's doing it

I wondered about the distance from the hotel to the startline too. I would offer yas a ride after the Friday night skate, but I don't think we could fit everyone in my mom's car.

I can't wait! Don't really have a much of a time goal - under 6 hrs I guess..
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #5
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Btw - we're staying at the La Quinta Inn Lenox/Buckhead in Atlanta on Sunday night. It seemed like the best deal we could get.
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #6
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Btw - we're staying at the La Quinta Inn Lenox/Buckhead in Atlanta on Sunday night. It seemed like the best deal we could get.
Thanks for the Hotel info, that was going to be one of my next questions.
Since you say you are driving back to Athens after the Friday night skate, what are you doing about your car on Sunday? You'll have it with you all day in Athens, then you skate to Atlanta and what? Take a cab or bus back to Athens to get your car and drive the 87 miles back to Atlanta? Somehow or other this plan isn't melding well in my mind. JB
BTW - I never gave up on Napalm doing the 87 despite her adamancy. I figured once she knew she could knock out a major distance she would take the challenge. She just needs a little more concretion than I do. JB
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

My mom is driving - that's why we don't have any room! I asked her to be my 'support team', so she and Tryst will be following us along the route. John J. is riding with us, and possibly my bf. If he doesn't come, we would have room for 1.
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:09 PM   #8
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
HEY SAGE!!, now that we've got the Napalm Balm on for the full bite and won't be taking a bus back to Athens from the 38 mile point, what's the best plan of attack? We'll be in the same Athens hotel as you, can we skate to the starting line from there? Yes Isn't there a baggage bus at the Classic Center to take our gear to Atlanta? Yes So how did we get to Athens in the first place? Do we participate in the Friday night skate in Atlanta, take the bus to Athens that night leaving our car somewhere in Atlanta (shudder) and then hope it's still there when we get there on Sunday?Yes Advice? JB
we've parked a car in neighborhoods very close to Piedmont Park at least several times with no problems. I can't guarantee no problems for you, but they are decent neighborhoods so if I had to do it again, I wouldn't hesitate and I surely wouldn't suggest you do something I wouldn't do myself. That doesn't mean I wouldnt worry a little bit, though.
We are driving down Saturday morning and heading directly to Athens. We plan to eat early, go to the meeting and go to bed early. Following the race we'll hang out and wait for everybody to finish.

I highly recommend that skaters bring a change of clothes as well as means to clean yourself up (container of handy wipes) and some deodorant. It can get hot and hanging out in your race duds can be a little un-pleasant. If you can, have a cooler with cold drinks-different from what you've been drinking all day-as well as some first aid stuff for blisters or sore areas. Your feet are going to feel like hell. Have some ibuprofen and if you can an ice pack or gel pack to put on trouble spots. If you take vitamins have a fresh dose with extra vit. C and E. There is always some kind of sandwich, chips and a soda given out to finishers. I assure you this will be just enough to satisfy you until you leave. I suggest we all hook up and find a place to eat, then go to our hotels, shower etc and then meet at the awards ceremony. Hopefully we can decide by then what everyone wants to do for the rest of the evening.

If you want me to plan something to minimize the hassle, we can do that. Just let me know what everyone wants to do. There used to be a really cool Italian place, (I hope it's still there) in Midtown (near the park) called Veni Vidi Vici, it's slightly upscale so that's one option. We can figure it out, I'd just like everyone that wants to be a part of the Skatelog A2A Group to chime in so we all know who to look for. This is open to everyone regardless of participation level on the board and I'm sure there will be plenty of others to come a long as well. If you make a pal during the race, bring 'em. Where we go and what we do will sort of be guided by where the greatest number of people are located. If we have enough people that want to go to dinner afterwards, I highly recommend that we plan it in advance to avoid the hassle of figuring it out on the spot. There used do be a Maggianos in Buckhead so we might head there. The birthday girl loves her pasta so make sure you're not sick of Italian prior to the race!!!! and if you are get a steak! If we can all sort of get a game plan together it will stream line the process and we can maybe even get a reservation or something. It's really whatever the group wants to do. A couple years ago we all went to a Benihana afterwards so that may be an option. Start thinking about it and don't be shy about chiming in for any or all of the hanging out. If everybody wants to do their own thing afterwards that's completely cool as well, but let's just talk about it. Some folks may want to finish the race and go to the hotel immediately and then show up later, whatever. It's all good, let's just start talking about it!
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:11 PM   #9
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
... If he doesn't come, we would have room for 1.
the world's longest skitch, "yeah, that's right, I skated to Athens"
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM   #10
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

There was a really cool restaurant in Buckhead called Assios (sp?) It's been 16 years so it might be gone. A co-worker and I managed to ring up a $300 tab and expensed it But then I'm not going so why am I even posting this?
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:37 PM   #11
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvirtue View Post
But then I'm not going so why am I even posting this?
...because you really do want to go!!! It's not too late, mark. Just do the 38!
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:51 PM   #12
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post
...because you really do want to go!!! It's not too late, mark. Just do the 38!
Very true. I do want to do it. It's just very hard to justify to the spouse. I've gotten commitments for me to do: the Eddy clinic whenever he is in town, the Spokane marathon, the CdA skate weekend and Disney 2008.
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 06:55 PM   #13
speedysktr
President of Everything

We shall quote the book of Wright:
"Amen brotha"
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM   #14
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

LOL. That first place you mentioned sounds really good... I'll ask my son's dad if it's still there.
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #15
speedysktr
President of Everything

it is really cool, easily one of the nicer places I've been to. It would be my first choice.

EDIT: It's still open. If you have a group over 16 you're forced to order from a set menu. Easily enough bypassed if need be.

Last edited by speedysktr; September 12th, 2006 at 06:49 PM.
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #16
Pepper Montana

I've contacted the race organizers and they have assured me that they won't start the double marathon without me.
Pepper Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:10 PM   #17
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
I've contacted the race organizers and they have assured me that they won't start the double marathon without me.
Funny you should mention that. You'll hear this at the meeting Saturday night when Henry Zuver is giving all the pre race instructions. The race leaves at 7:30 am sharp. He'll announce what his watch says and advise you to align yours with his because when his watch says 7:30:00 the race goes. He'll make a little joke about the guy that gets there at 7:31 and thinks "hey, I'm the first one here" and there will be a little titter of laughter, but mark his words and mark mine: Don't be late.
Old September 12th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #18
speedysktr
President of Everything

Some of you may get a kick out of this. I copied this from the Corrupt-a-wish Thread in the Forum Games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy in a different thread
gimme a minute, I had a serious blow this morning, a real close call. I so rarely drink coffee in the morning, but today I did. Today as I'm grabbing a cup I don't see my A2A cup that my wife has been using despite me constantly telling her not to. You get a coffee mug every year for finishing the race. I have 10 of them for 10 starts and 10 finishes in the full distance. It's a small thing, but I really kind of cherish them, I'm not nutso about it, but I like having them. "I broke it, it's gone" are her words. I quickly flash to the last time I saw it in the car, like two days ago. "Where is it now?" She replies, "I threw it out, it was in too many pieces" After some terse words, I start digging in the garbage. Luckily, it was in a small bag from where she cleaned out the car, not the kitchen bag, ugh. I put it together and it will be salvageable once I get the right glue. Maybe, now I'll move them and make a little shelf or something. I have a couple pics that I've hung up from skating, that would be a good place.

edit: I'm so totally going to work this. I bet I can parlay this into a new pair of skates. I'll keep you posted. She feels bad, but it's just as much my fault for letting it circulate. I don't know, it feels kind of like an omen, some sort of symbolic gesture, putting it back together, contemplating building a shelf-the very idea of elevating it is growing in my mind. I sense the handiwork of the skate goddess in all of this. Things that make you go hmmm.
Old September 15th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #19
Dev Gnoll
Eater of Data

So,

Falling into my normal pre-race nervous habits.

Is anyone else watching the weather forecasts like a hawk?

I don't want to have to "Share the Road" with Helene.

What's your pre-race jitter?

Dev Gnoll
Dev Gnoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #20
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev Gnoll View Post
Falling into my normal pre-race nervous habits.
What's your pre-race jitter? Dev Gnoll
Generally mine is just anticipation. I have no idea what causes it or how to get rid of it. When I used to run, I ran 15 miles a day 6 days a week (3 runs a day) and five on Sunday. If I had a time trial come up, my stomach would turn into a knot and I'd get all twitchy. You would think eventually it would stop because you were so used to the routine, but it never did for me. My biggest pre-race jitter now is all about A2A - BRAKING. I suck so bad at downhill breaking on this 5 wheel frame I feel like skating with a queen size mattress strapped around me. If I've got to take a wipe-out at 30mph downhill I'm really going to be PO'd. JB