S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Off-Topic Discussions
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Off-Topic Discussions You can use this forum to talk about any non-skating topic you want.

Old November 7th, 2018, 09:17 PM   #1
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Default Attorney General Sessions "resigns"

my guess on Trump to Sessions: (in 'godfather' voice) Let me make an offer you can't refuse. Resign or I will fire you and humiliate you publicly every chance I get. Make your choice.

Now Trump has a supporter (Whitaker) in the acting top spot who can take the Mueller probe away from Rosenstein's control.

I suspect Mueller has some 'poison pill' sealed indictments filed already that will surface if the probe gets shut down.
Old November 7th, 2018, 09:44 PM   #2
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Never liked sessions. He was a politician before a prosecutor. Scratched my head a lot wondering if this guy would ever kick into gear. Guess not.

Don't know if I like this waiting until after midterms for the release of the report. I think it should have been released when it was done. So much damn spin going on. Gives me a headache.
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #3
bjvircks
Major Trouble

CRAP!!! Whitaker is a HAWKEYE!!! (University of Iowa).

Both my kids are CYCLONES (Iowa State University)!

Run the guy out of town!
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:35 PM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Never liked sessions. He was a politician before a prosecutor. Scratched my head a lot wondering if this guy would ever kick into gear. Guess not.

Don't know if I like this waiting until after midterms for the release of the report. I think it should have been released when it was done. So much damn spin going on. Gives me a headache.

Total BS, nothing new.

Who Is Jeff Sessions?

Born on December 24, 1946, in Selma, Alabama, Jeff Sessions went on to work as U.S. attorney for his home state before receiving a district court judge nomination from President Ronald Reagan.

Mueller has only been investigation for a bit over a year, he will present his evidence when he's ready to put Trump away.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:39 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
my guess on Trump to Sessions: (in 'godfather' voice) Let me make an offer you can't refuse. Resign or I will fire you and humiliate you publicly every chance I get. Make your choice.

Now Trump has a supporter (Whitaker) in the acting top spot who can take the Mueller probe away from Rosenstein's control.

I suspect Mueller has some 'poison pill' sealed indictments filed already that will surface if the probe gets shut down.
The world was expecting this to happen this am.

Sessions used his immense power to make America a crueler, more brutal place. He was one of the most sadistic and unscrupulous attorneys general in American history.

At the Department of Justice, Sessions enforced the law in a manner that harmed racial minorities, immigrants, and LGBTQ people. He rolled back Obama-era drug sentencing reforms in an effort to keep nonviolent offenders locked away for longer. He reversed a policy that limited the DOJ’s use of private prisons. He undermined consent decrees with law enforcement agencies that had a history of misconduct and killed a program that helped local agencies bring their policing in line with constitutional requirements. And he lobbied against bipartisan sentencing reform, falsely claiming that such legislation would benefit “a highly dangerous cohort of criminals.”

Sessions’ attack on immigrants was equally ruthless. He compelled immigration judges to order the deportation of more unauthorized immigrants and punished them when they did not. He barred most victims of domestic violence from seeking asylum in the United States, deporting survivors back to their persecutors. He attempted to rescind the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, subjecting hundreds of thousands of young immigrants to deportation but was too inept to do so lawfully. He tried to prevent states and cities from protecting immigrants within their borders. And he implemented the “zero tolerance” family separation policy, imprisoning thousands of individuals at the border for the misdemeanor of unlawful entry, then seizing their children and locking them in cages. (Hundreds of these kids are still separated from their parents.)

Meanwhile, Sessions mobilized the DOJ’s attorneys to torture immigrant minors in other ways. He fought in court to keep undocumented teenagers pregnant against their will, defending the Trump administration’s decision to block their access to abortion. His Justice Department made the astonishing claim that the federal government could decide that forced birth was in the “best interest” of children. It also revealed these minors’ pregnancies to family members who threatened to abuse them. And when the American Civil Liberties Union defeated this position in court, his DOJ launched a failed legal assault on individual ACLU lawyers for daring to defend their clients.

As he oversaw family separation, forced birth, and mass incarceration, Sessions found time to degrade LGBTQ Americans and their families. He issued a memo alleging that federal civil rights laws do not protect transgender employees, a position the Justice Department recently reiterated to the Supreme Court. He also argued that these civil rights laws do not protect gay people. His DOJ defended Trump’s ban on open transgender military service by claiming that trans people are disordered deviants. Under his leadership, the DOJ also asked the Supreme Court to rule that many businesses have a First Amendment right to turn away same-sex couples. (Sessions gave a speech to the anti-LGBTQ group that brought that case to SCOTUS, thanking them for their “important work” on behalf of religious liberty.)

The guiding principle of Sessions’ career is animus toward people who are unlike him. While serving in the Senate, he voted against the reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act because it expressly protected LGBTQ women. He opposed immigration reform, including relief for young people brought to America by their parents as children. He voted against the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell. He voted against a federal hate crime bill protecting gay people. Before that, as Alabama attorney general, he tried to prevent LGBTQ students from meeting at a public university. But as U.S. attorney general, he positioned himself as an impassioned defender of campus free speech.

While Sessions doesn’t identify as a white nationalist, his agenda as attorney general abetted the cause of white nationalism. His policies were designed to make the country more white by keeping out Hispanics and locking up blacks. His tenure will remain a permanent stain on the Department of Justice. Thousands of people were brutalized by his bigotry, and our country will not soon recover from the malice he unleashed.

His successor could be even worse.
Old November 7th, 2018, 10:48 PM   #6
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Today makes me proud to be an American.

Our peaceful transfer of responsiblilities and powers is the pinacle of civilized behavior. Nobody is shot, imprisoned or dissapeared.

Yeah, I took a cheap shot at a Hawkeye... sorry!
Old November 7th, 2018, 11:55 PM   #7
bjvircks
Major Trouble

or maybe not...

Whitaker played Tight End for the Hawkeye football team. In that roll his primary responsibility was to protect the quarterback. This is almost hard-wired into the psyche of people who play the position.

Who is the quarterback today?

Will the acting AG protect the people of the United States (the real job) or the QB (the partisan job)?
Old November 8th, 2018, 09:06 PM   #8
ursle
Street Skater

Another deplorable...only the "BEST" deplorable in this case.

The New Attorney General Promoted Hot Tubs for a Scam Company That Got Shut Down by the FTC

Much of the attention around the appointment of Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker has involved how he might try to undermine Robert Mueller’s special counsel investigation. That’s understandable. But attention should also be focused on how, quite recently, Matthew Whitaker was involved in hyping alleged innovations in hot tub design for a super, super shady company that recently got shut down by the federal government.

The Miami New Times has more details: Whitaker, at some point after he served as a U.S. attorney in Iowa but before he got hired by the Trump administration, was involved with a Miami-based company called World Patent Marketing. World Patent Marketing claimed to customers that, for a price, it would evaluate and help produce new inventions. Whitaker, as you can see above, was supposedly one of the people who did the “evaluation” of, I guess, hot tubs and other invention stuff. The catch, as alleged by the Federal Trade Commission, was that World Patent Marketing took a lot of money from a lot of people (for such products as a “$995-to-$1,295 ‘Global Invention Royalty Analysis’ ”) without ever actually helping them patent or sell any products. (Among the problems identified by the feds: “The company’s patent applications weren’t drafted by patent attorneys.” D’oh!)

In a 2014 press release touting the extension of his membership on the “World Patent Marketing Advisory Board,” Whitaker described the company as “a first class organization” and praised its commitment to behaving ethically. In May, a federal judge ruled that World Patent Marketing owed $26 million in damages for what the FTC described as systematically deceptive practices that defrauded some customers of their life savings. The judge also ordered that WPM’s founder be “permanently restrained and enjoined from advertising, marketing, promoting, or offering for sale, or assisting in the advertising, marketing, promoting, or offering for sale of any Invention Promotion Service.”

The May federal ruling further enjoins “officers, agents, and employees” of WPM from “suppressing the availability of truthful negative comments or reviews through any means, including threats, intimidation, non-disparagement clauses, and suppression of online content.” In one 2015 email uncovered by the New Times, Whitaker accused an individual who’d criticized WPM’s practices of “possible blackmail and extortion” and told him that there would be “serious civil and criminal consequences” if he continued to criticize the company online or filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. (Whitaker does not appear to have commented publicly on his affiliation with World Patent Marketing since it was sued by the FTC. He has not been accused personally of any civil or criminal misconduct regarding his work for the company.)

Also, this, from an earlier New Times exposé, is just a tremendous combination of words:

Most inventors found the company through its website, which listed … prominent board members such as former U.S. Attorney Matthew G. Whitaker and world karate champion Moti Horenstein.

When you can’t trust a Florida-based ******** service endorsed by world karate champion Moti Horenstein, who is there left to trust???
Old November 8th, 2018, 09:22 PM   #9
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Reports now clearly show that Whitaker made consious efforts to get on cable news shows for the specific purpose of catching Trump's attention and get into the Whitehouse!

On another side of this... I've changed my perspective slightly regarding the Trump/Sessions interaction about Sessions leaving the AG post. I now believe it was always the plan between the two of them for Sessions to leave at this moment as a way to take the Mueller work from Rosenstein. In the flash-bang distracting activities of the midterm elections the strategic handoff to Whitaker has competition for public attention.
Old November 8th, 2018, 09:41 PM   #10
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Almost like the Mayor of Gotham City appointing The Joker to be Chief of Police.

Batman and the public stand there thinking WTF??? WTF???
Old November 9th, 2018, 12:00 AM   #11
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
Reports now clearly show that Whitaker made consious efforts to get on cable news shows for the specific purpose of catching Trump's attention and get into the Whitehouse!

On another side of this... I've changed my perspective slightly regarding the Trump/Sessions interaction about Sessions leaving the AG post. I now believe it was always the plan between the two of them for Sessions to leave at this moment as a way to take the Mueller work from Rosenstein. In the flash-bang distracting activities of the midterm elections the strategic handoff to Whitaker has competition for public attention.
It seems that Trump won't be able to claim Sessions quit, and the legalities of the situation demand that he did for Trump to appoint an interm successor.

It’s obvious that, practically speaking, Trump fired Sessions. His resignation letter begins: “At your request, I am submitting my resignation.” In the law there’s a principle called “constructive discharge,” which applies when an employee technically quit, but felt she-he had no choice but to do so. Under the Civil Rights Act, for instance, an employee may sue for constructive discharge if she-he quit because she-he faced a hostile work environment due to her-his sex. The paperwork might say she-he resigned, but she-he can still sue for unlawful termination.

Trump breaks so many laws, not that Democrats can use the oaw to reign him in, good.