S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old September 12th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #21
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
Mamaskates,

Knowing your pace at all stages of workouts and pushing to reach faster speed based on the numbers is critical. Having milestones along your rout where you know what your times should be when you cross those spots is helpful. Having nothing interfering with you on your routes that can force you to slow down off your targeted pace really help for consistent metrics.

-Armadillo
Expanding on what I said above, about always knowing what pace speed you are rolling, at all stages of workouts, and steadily structuring workouts to reach faster speeds, based on the numbers, is critical. This is another reason why skating on known loops/routes (with timing points or mile marker spots) is important (GPS works too). Having time check milestones along your route, where you know what your times should be, when you cross those spots, is very helpful for ensuring you are hitting the targeted pace(s) of your workouts. Having nothing interfering with you on your skating routes, that can force you to slow down from your targeted pace, really helps for maintaining consistent and accurate metrics.

Having every mile you skate matter and be mentally monitored for pace - slow or fast - yields results more quickly, and much of this relates to training your mind at focusing on and expecting results, which is half the battle for getting them. Have pace goals for every workout, and structure workouts to have different portions going at different targeted distances and speeds. Always have some significant portions of your workouts be at speeds you know are faster than you can currently sustain in a race. Moving up to faster sustainable race pace speed demands spending a decent amount of your training time rolling at speeds that are faster than your race pace goal, and this helps a lot for reaching that goal more quickly.

-Armadillo
Old September 12th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #22
Mamaskates
Rollin'

I've been looking at stopwatches, the sport watch type, so I'm not holding anything, while skating. Is one type better than another? Any particular features I should look for? Good brands?

I looked at Slideboards, also. Cool idea, not in the budget at this time, LOL.

Last edited by Mamaskates; September 12th, 2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Mamaskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #23
cass38a

Just use Endomondo on your smart phone. Turn up the volume and it tells you your pace every KLM and you know how you are going and how far you have been put it in an arm band so you can hear it. You can set it up to race yourself as well.

It costs only a couple of $$ for the pro version and even the free one is pretty good.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #24
WJCIV

+1 on Endomondo.

I personally don't track just about anything. All my training currently is indoors, with two practices a week. Plus two leg days in the gym, occasional 20 mile bike rides, and plenty of volleyball. Obviously I know which weights I use, but it is a machine, so I don't even know the actual weight being lifted, just where the little bar goes so that I am lifting the same (or more) than last time. I also have Endomondo on bike rides so I can view stats, but only as a curiosity. All I know is that I am pushing myself or not. I do track how tired or sore I am to know when to back off or pick it up.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #25
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

+1 on Endomondo also. I use it for day to day training, but use a Garmin Forerunner 410 for tracking GPS data for races. That way I don't have to carry as much. I also track Heart Rate, which Endomondo can do with add-on hardware. The Garmin is just a complete package that does nothing but GPS tracking and HR tracking. I generally train with both devices, which is overkill, but it is more out of laziness. I like to see the track history on Endomondo. It uploads automatically. I have to do less by using Endomondo on my phone. Whereas, with my Garmin, I have the download the data from the watch to my computer, then upload individual to Endomondo. It is too much work to do more than just for races. Hence I use both for training but only the watch for racing. I am nuts, I know. Some days, I feel like a skating cyborg.
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #26
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Thank you guys, for the recommendation. I suppose I have to figure out my smart phone, now. I still only call and text.
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #27
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

Love my endomondo!
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:19 AM   #28
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Default So, I'm Training...

It's cold outside. I have to make friends with the sport court again, so that's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to quit being such a priss, and start skating all my pretty set-ups there, even though it's nasty.

I think 2hrs, 2-3X per week, some laps, and then practice everything I learned at derby about skating, stopping in particular. I can T-stop well enough in a skating session, but I don't think that's gonna cut it, at speed. Then, 3 days of weights and cardio and a rest day, or 2, except for sessions. This should work, right?

After skating 2X this weekend, I realized it might take me until they get the new stadium built for me to be ready to skate a marathon, LOL. At least that's how sore I am, now. If anyone hears of a sooner indoor venue, please post it. I think I should try that, first. The only outdoor marathon I've looked at so far that really appeals to me, based on location, and is good and flat is in Las Vegas, but they don't allow skaters, yet. I really want to skate past the Elvis impersonators and "Running Wedding Chapel," LOL
Old September 16th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #29
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaskates View Post
I think 2hrs, 2-3X per week, some laps, and then practice everything I learned at derby about skating, stopping in particular. I can T-stop well enough in a skating session, but I don't think that's gonna cut it, at speed. Then, 3 days of weights and cardio and a rest day, or 2, except for sessions. This should work, right?
Stopping obviously comes in handy, but I wouldn't focus on it in particular if you are sincere about distance skating on quads outdoors. You don't stop much in marathons. Even then, you naturally slow down faster outdoors on small quad wheels because the pavement is rougher than the smooth wood floors on indoors. Rolling to a near stop, and then a stepping plow stop or reorienting my speed into a spin has always worked for me (although I have never done much outdoors on quads). Dodging and maneuverability can be important.

The rest of what you have is a good start for building some basic cardio, although you'll want to do some more specific drills including intervals at some point. You'll also want to build the intensity over time. If you can't handle 3 hours x 3 right now, build up to it. During the weight days, doing max weight that you can handle 6-10 times will build muscle (good for hills, sprints, and sudden speed changes), and 16-20 times will build lean muscle (good for endurance and efficient energy usage). I start the season with the heavy reps, then transition to the light reps a few months later.

You also want to add something to your training to focus on technique. You can do skater position and slow motion steps with or without skates. Without skates it is easier to break everything down and make sure it is right. On skates, you obviously get a better feel for how your technique affects your skating. You won't be able to hold skater position for too long without stretching your legs, pushing, or standing up, so don't try to hold it for an hour. Start out aiming for a minute in proper position without your elbows on your knees.
Old September 17th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #30
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Thank you for the pointers. I will try them.

The weight training is different from what I have done before, HIIT, light weight/high reps increasing to heavy weight/low reps, for fast muscle building. What you are suggesting make a lot of sense for endurance.

May I ask what you mean, specifically by "skater position?" I know how the art coach told me to stand, I know derby stance. Is this something different?
Old September 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #31
WJCIV

Quote:
The weight training is different from what I have done before, HIIT, light weight/high reps increasing to heavy weight/low reps, for fast muscle building. What you are suggesting make a lot of sense for endurance.
I would make sure that you have a strong muscle base by doing 8 reps with an amount of weight that you would not be able to lift 11 times. Leave 3-5 minutes in between sets. Once you have this, switch over to lighter weights. 16-20 reps with an amount of weight that leaves you on the verge of not being able to lift it another time.

The lighter reps build endurance, but you want to make sure that you have a strong base to work off of. If you already have this, go ahead and start with the lighter reps.

Quote:
May I ask what you mean, specifically by "skater position?" I know how the art coach told me to stand, I know derby stance. Is this something different?
I'm sure someone has a YouTube link that will help more than an explanation, but no videos popped out at me during a quick search.

Skater position (for speed skaters) is a squat. Common cliches are "imagine that you're sitting on the toilet" or "knees at 90 degrees". 90 degrees is extreme. I would say it is closer to 110 degrees, but let's assume 90 for now. You naturally lean forward on your ankles, so your thighs will still not be parallel with the floor. You have to make sure that your chest and head are up. You can imagine your weight would be on the third wheel back if you were on inlines. There is a good picture that recently popped up over in the speed forum from the recent Northshore marathon. Imagine the guy in front put his legs together and just stood there. That is skater position.
Old September 17th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #32
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Skater position (for speed skaters) is a squat. Common cliches are "imagine that you're sitting on the toilet"
LOL This is how derby stance was explained to me, "squatting over a public toilet." -Gross, but effective "Keep your head up, on a swivel, and your 'tickets' up and out." (referring to the female chest, although I don't get the "tickets" reference).

-This is good news. I'm a little better off than I thought. Thank you. You've been most helpful.
Old September 17th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #33
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
Once you have this, switch over to lighter weights. 16-20 reps with an amount of weight that leaves you on the verge of not being able to lift it another time.
I forgot to mention that when you move to lighter reps the rest time between sets should only be about 2 minutes.