S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 07:38 AM   #1
O'Fury

Default ITB and skating

Hello all! I'm new to the forum. I've been a recreational skater for 30 years and recently started skating derby. I love it - totally awesome!

What's not so awesome is recurring ITB problems with my right hip. I suffered an injury in Yoga (of all things) - damn you, revolved triangle pose - that probably tore a bit of my hamstring that connects to the sit bone. It's been two years and any activity leaves a nice bit of knotted muscle. It's also really impacted my flexibility with cross-overs.

Nearly everything makes the crest of my hipbone hurt. I've been referred to physical therapy, but would love to hear from others who have dealt with this kind of issue before.
O'Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
ursle
Street Skater

Go-fit and triggerpoint make foam rollers, go-fit is online, the products show up on google, the professional series is great, triggerpoint is sold at EMS, and online at EMS, it's a fiberglass tube surrounded with foam, it's better.

Get a foam roller and start rolling your body, the muscle is constantly being used, it's not relaxing, and it's attachment point's are torn, roll the muscle, every day, it will take no time to relax and start to repair it's attachment point's,
Massage works but one foam roller is the cost of 1/2 hour of massage, daily massage would be expensive.
The first time you roll the pain is unbelievable, the second time you roll there's no pain, or very little, it's sweet pain.
jmho,ymmv

http://www.gofit.net/foam-roll.php
not spotting the professional roller on this site, had one of the regular ones and it melted in three month's, I'd think triggerpoint.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13206462
comes long and short, get the long, you can do your back and underarms, might seem expensive, best money you'll ever spend.

And getting up on your shins on these suckers is so relaxing for the lower legs.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM   #3
O'Fury

Thanks for the links for the foam rollers. The only kind I have access to are the glorified pool noodles which dent and cave and are generally useless.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Fury View Post
Thanks for the links for the foam rollers. The only kind I have access to are the glorified pool noodles which dent and cave and are generally useless.
Stick a water bottle or wooden dowel rod down the center of the pool noodle.
Old December 4th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #5
online inline

foam roller is okay for doing the heavy hitting work, but a handheld roller is really good for targeted work. I actually prefer the handheld roller at this time.
You can buy a handheld roller for between $20 and $30, or you can make a perfectly good one out of PVC for about $3. Google it, and you can see how. I have a store bought one for home, and a smaller handmade one for my gym bag.
Mine is something similar to this, maybe even a little simpler: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDYQ9QEwAg
They definitely can be useful, but they won't solve some problems.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #6
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

When doing exercise like derby/skating or anything that tends to aggravate it, remember.to warm up, not stretch. .stretching prior to workout is bad, it.causes the body to have a reaction that limits your workout.

What I mean by warming up is begin to move around and become aerobic, your bodys muscles will loosen up, as they do you can start to increase your range of movement slowly throughout your workout. Never apply loads to you muscles when your flexibility limit is close to being reached.

When you are done working out, as you cool off, do your stretching. A stretch shoukd be held around 15-20 seconds without problems of intensity causing you to stop the stretch early. Flexibility cannot be rushed. The only way to do it is take it slow. Else you trigger the bodys defenses for injury and it will tighten up.

Try to be aerobic every day with a focus on the muscles you need improvement on.

One other way to get a good stretch is the target muscle you want the most work on should be the second one stretched. The first one should be on the opposite side of the target muscle. This makes the muscle which is not being stretched first become a bit more relaxed.

Always stretch hot, never cold.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #7
O'Fury

Thanks for all the information and stretching reminders. I'm coming from a professional dance background so I know to get warm before stretching muscles. I suspect there are strength imbalances throughout the right hip - skating has helped enormously in that department, but the ITB pain is still hanging on. It's always worse after sitting for long periods.

On the strength issue - I have tremendously powerful hip flexors (from dance) and I've noticed a HUGE imbalance on hip adduction and abduction. My adductors (inner thigh) are far weaker - about 30 lbs difference between them. I'm trying to close that gap (heh) but it's taking longer than I expected. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need core work as well - but finding exercises that don't rely heavily on hip flexors has been a challenge.
Old December 5th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #8
skaterdog

I have recurring ITB issues. I use a foam roller at home and "the stick" to bring along and use after a skate (http://tinyurl.com/ldsrsvw)...and ice!
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #9
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
I have recurring ITB issues. I use a foam roller at home and "the stick" to bring along and use after a skate (http://tinyurl.com/ldsrsvw)...and ice!
I love The Stick. I have one that I use regularly for working out sore muscles and trigger pints in my calves, shoulders, quads and hams. Worth the money.
Old December 9th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
O'Fury

I'm going to have get a new foam roller and the stick. My first PT appt is the day after tomorrow and interested to hear what course of action the therapist recommends.
Old December 15th, 2013, 09:50 PM   #11
online inline

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Fury View Post
...My first PT appt is the day after tomorrow and interested to hear what course of action the therapist recommends.
????
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #12
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
When doing exercise like derby/skating or anything that tends to aggravate it, remember.to warm up, not stretch. .stretching prior to workout is bad, it.causes the body to have a reaction that limits your workout.

What I mean by warming up is begin to move around and become aerobic, your bodys muscles will loosen up, as they do you can start to increase your range of movement slowly throughout your workout. Never apply loads to you muscles when your flexibility limit is close to being reached.

When you are done working out, as you cool off, do your stretching. A stretch shoukd be held around 15-20 seconds without problems of intensity causing you to stop the stretch early. Flexibility cannot be rushed. The only way to do it is take it slow. Else you trigger the bodys defenses for injury and it will tighten up.

Try to be aerobic every day with a focus on the muscles you need improvement on.

One other way to get a good stretch is the target muscle you want the most work on should be the second one stretched. The first one should be on the opposite side of the target muscle. This makes the muscle which is not being stretched first become a bit more relaxed.

Always stretch hot, never cold.
Agree, stretching cold muscles is problematic, but why stretch?

Err, why tear at the tendons and ligaments? Yes cat's stretch, they haven't tried a roller, till you try one you won't understand how well they work, no muscle tear, no ligament or tendon tear, just the muscle is involved, it get's flattened, stretched, it's the perfect way to rejuvenate a tight muscle, and stretching a tight muscle is going to tear it, it's ligament and it's tendons.

The best thing about a roller, you can roll a cold muscle.
Rolling put's all the body weight on it, a stick is great if you can get it at what you need getting at.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #13
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Hey Ursle, we kinda agree on something. lol

I think the biggest problem with stretching is people drastically overdo it. Pain caused whike stretching be it cold or hot, is damage starting to happen. A stretch should be something you can easily hold, for 20 seconds. Reasons to not hold it longer are simple. Diminishing returns.

A guy I did TKD with was pretty flexible, way more them me thats for sure, but he had gotten to a point where gains were nonexistent. He eventually got to chat with "superfoot" Bill Wallace. He followed his stretching advice and made significant progress again. Also stretching should be done often, correctly, everyday, same with exercise. If you overdo it your body tends to trigger a safety mechanism to keep you from damaging it, essentially throttling your strength and flexibility.

I can definitely see how a roller would stretch out a muscle group, and probably never generate enough tension to ever cause damage.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itb