S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 22nd, 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
LisaMarie

Default New to: skating, weight loss, & to this forum

Hi I'm new to this forum and it's been a big help. I don't know if this is the right forum to post this but....

I've been skating outdoors for a little while at a bike trail by where I live to try to lose weight because running sucks for me. The skates I have are the Moxi Skates that I had to have because they are leopard print. (for shame, right?)

I want to buy new skates that would be a bit more ideal for faster outdoor skating. I don't have much money to spend on them at the moment so I was thinking to get the Volt skates and to change the bearings to Reds and use the wheels from the Moxi skates because I think they might be a little better. I was also thinking of switching out the plates, the ones on the Moxi are metal. I only want to do this until I can get better ones.

What do you guys think?
LisaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Salamanda

First of all welcome to the forums!
Second of all avoid the Volts like the plague. The plates you have are actually better, the ones on the Volts are made out of putty.and there's nothing wrong with leopard print skates. In truth I'd been eyeing off a pair of Moxie skates in the pink Zebra print..
What do you like and dislike about your current setup? Is the boot comfortable? Have you adjusted the trucks at all?
Old August 22nd, 2013, 09:46 PM   #3
LisaMarie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda View Post
First of all welcome to the forums!
Second of all avoid the Volts like the plague. The plates you have are actually better, the ones on the Volts are made out of putty.and there's nothing wrong with leopard print skates. In truth I'd been eyeing off a pair of Moxie skates in the pink Zebra print..
What do you like and dislike about your current setup? Is the boot comfortable? Have you adjusted the trucks at all?

I don't have much to compare the Moxis to because they're my first skates since I was 13 and those were the same style of boot. My feet do hurt the first 20 minutes of skating so I was thinking that it might be that the heel is so high. I just wanted something a bit easier and better control.

What do recommend? Do you know something in the same price range? I know it's a cheaper skate but I just want something for now until I can save up for better ones.
LisaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4
cass38a

For outdoor skating nothing is safer and faster than inline skates. If you have to skate quads then there is a sub forum for outdoor skates where you will find a wealth of info on the best set ups for skating outdoors.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:22 PM   #5
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
For outdoor skating nothing is safer and faster than inline skates.
I've heard that. I get the faster part, but why are they considered to be safer?
Old September 11th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #6
crashpants
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaskates View Post
I've heard that. I get the faster part, but why are they considered to be safer?
Probably because there is a much smaller 'footprint' on the ground and hence less area to run into road debris. Inlines also span across gaps in the surface better. And, inline wheels are usually larger in diameter, so they are less likely to drop into crevices in the first place.

Think railroad track crossing through the pavement. The front two wheels of a quad will drop into the gap between the railroad track and the surrounding asphalt, causing the skate to come to a complete stop. A large enough inline wheel will make it across the gap, then the rest of the wheel frame will act as a bridge across the entire gap.
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #7
MiltonChris
bOoGie -, bOoGie

Default Hey..

Nice crashpants dude..
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #8
ursle
Street Skater

I think "safer" is a relative term here.

More stable at speed, yes, but more speed is more dangerous

Any skate has to be picked up to avoid accidents(RR crossings), an inexperienced skater won't necessarily be "safer" on blades that restrict ankle movement and require balancing on one edge, whereas a quad skate allows good balance from the get-go.

Any exercise for the heart and lungs is excellent(rollerblading), mixing in an exercise for flexibility "the ability to scratch the back of your head" is also in my opinion a good idea(roller skating), and regulating what goes in the stomach is going to do the most for weight loss, irregardless of any exercise.

So, keep rollerskating, grab some used inlines or possibly a bicycle, which is another excellent way to work the heart and lungs, but which also doesn't really offer "flexibility".jmho,ymmv
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:48 PM   #9
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashpants View Post
Probably because there is a much smaller 'footprint' on the ground and hence less area to run into road debris. Inlines also span across gaps in the surface better. And, inline wheels are usually larger in diameter, so they are less likely to drop into crevices in the first place.

Think railroad track crossing through the pavement. The front two wheels of a quad will drop into the gap between the railroad track and the surrounding asphalt, causing the skate to come to a complete stop. A large enough inline wheel will make it across the gap, then the rest of the wheel frame will act as a bridge across the entire gap.
This makes sense to me.
Old September 11th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Any skate has to be picked up to avoid accidents(RR crossings), an inexperienced skater won't necessarily be "safer" on blades that restrict ankle movement and require balancing on one edge, whereas a quad skate allows good balance from the get-go.
So does this. I have an old pair of Spiritblades. Although I can skate in them, I feel much more in control of my quads.
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #11
slowsk8

Quote:

Any skate has to be picked up to avoid accidents(RR crossings), an
Just a note that that you don't need to pick up skates to cross RR tracks on inlines unless they are raised above the road.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 03:46 PM   #12
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsk8 View Post
Just a note that that you don't need to pick up skates to cross RR tracks on inlines unless they are raised above the road.
Err, especially if your on a bicycle (yer avatar)
Really, you glide over tracks, I jump them on a bicycle, step them on skates.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 04:35 PM   #13
slowsk8

Quote:
Err, especially if your on a bicycle (yer avatar)
Really, you glide over tracks, I jump them on a bicycle, step them on skates.
Yes, one foot forward good knee bend and weight more on the heals. The same form you should use when you need to run off in the grass (grass stop)
Here comes the hard part: Will not work well if you are going to slow. If the tracks have the rubber stuff you need to be ready to feel the jerk when you hit it.
I'm old jumping things hurts
Old September 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #14
WJCIV

Quote:

Also, when the front wheel of an inline would go into a gap, it won't drop because of the weight distribution. On the back-forward dimension of quads, you only have two points of contact, which means they will always conform to the terrain. On an inline, you have at least three (and usually 4). If one stops making contact with the ground, the others will take on the extra weight.

Another thing is the wheel base. A wider base it more stable. What I am talking about here is not the wheel base of a single skate; it is the wheel base of the skater. Very few people remain on one foot when they start to lose their balance. Between quads and inlines, you have a shorter wheel base side to side on inlines, but your feet are already shoulder width apart. The extra few inches don't mean much. On the other hand, you gain several inches back-to-front, which makes a pretty big difference since the wheel base in that direction is relatively small.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #15
MiltonChris
bOoGie -, bOoGie

Default ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie View Post
Hi I'm new to this forum and it's been a big help. I don't know if this is the right forum to post this but....

I've been skating outdoors for a little while at a bike trail by where I live to try to lose weight because running sucks for me. The skates I have are the Moxi Skates that I had to have because they are leopard print. (for shame, right?)

I want to buy new skates that would be a bit more ideal for faster outdoor skating. I don't have much money to spend on them at the moment so I was thinking to get the Volt skates and to change the bearings to Reds and use the wheels from the Moxi skates because I think they might be a little better. I was also thinking of switching out the plates, the ones on the Moxi are metal. I only want to do this until I can get better ones.

What do you guys think?
Lisa Marie I don't know much about skating.. but I have done some training and can help you with some technical knowledge: most people don't know this but if your trying to burn fat you have to workout for more than 45 minutes. after you burn up all the sugar in your blood working out for 30 - 40 minutes your liver kicks out a hormone that at that time: "burns fat stores in the body," this is called the second wind and only at that time do you start to loose wieght.. and you need to be sweating..

Good luck dear, sounds like fun..
Old September 11th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #16
cass38a

The other benefit of inlines is when you hit a small stone they tend to just flick out of the way where on Quads the skate can stop dead and put you on your face.

Small sticks are similar but an inline skate can chop them in two instead of stopping dead.

You can just roll over things like tram tracks on inlines providing you go straight across them. The only hazards where quads seem to be better than inlines is tar snakes. These can cause a inline to slip a bit but quads can bridge them. Cracks that are long and straight in the same direction you are skating are also less of a problem for quads.

Its fun to skate Quads outdoors, I do it (see my avatar pic) and if you set the skates up properly then they can be much better and safer than using a package skate. I normally only skate in controlled areas with good surfaces which I have scoped out when on quads. On inlines I am happy to hit the road knowing that the small things that can ruin your day on quads will not cause me any problems on inlines.

Any skating can help you lose a bit of weight so there is no need to get to technical about things like heart rates or time spent skating. Yes you can lose weight faster by having a set training program but enjoying yourself and making it fun will probably have the most benefit in the long term.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #17
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Cass,

You make a very good argument for learning both quads and inlines. Maybe I'll dig out the Blades and see if I can learn to like it. -Maybe.

Lisa Marie,

I totally would have bought the Moxie "Lolly" purple boot, had I wanted a tall boot. They're cute

I got comfy Rollerblades on Ebay for $20, that look like they've never been skated. That may be an affordable option to look at, -in case Cass made you think about it, too. Used skate gear of all kinds can be found there, as well as here in the for sale forums. Please let us know what you try and how you like it.
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #18
crashpants
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Any skating can help you lose a bit of weight so there is no need to get to technical about things like heart rates or time spent skating. Yes you can lose weight faster by having a set training program but enjoying yourself and making it fun will probably have the most benefit in the long term.
This.

I have burned off a lot of weight while having fun while skating inlines outdoors. Quads might have worked too, but inlines seemed right at the time. I just wish there was an upper body exercise that was as much fun so I would do it as frequently. Rowing is a possibility but arranging for that seems like a lot of effort. Someone suggested juggling to the point that if you can juggle bowling pins you will be in good shape.
Old September 12th, 2013, 01:14 AM   #19
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
Someone suggested juggling to the point that if you can juggle bowling pins you will be in good shape.
While on inlines? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LdhKXpdX6c
Old September 12th, 2013, 04:20 AM   #20
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonChris View Post
Nice crashpants dude..
I just noticed your location, should we be car pooling?