S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old December 11th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #21
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

We had ice and snow, and it just got over freezing. It's been in the 20's and teens. Snow and ice, hell water of any type ruins my skate entirely. Cold is just a nuisance, condition if you will. Any kind of precipitation totally render's the skatepark unusable. In fact they typically close it.

C'mon sunshine!
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #22
Code Monkey

Now as SkateMO pointed out, I'm not just overflowing with common sense. So take that into consideration as you read on.

I loved it. And recommend it for a fun time. While skating you really have to be careful and you are always slipping so it is a task of slipping and rolling. You also can't expect to hold a straight line and you will tend to drift to a side depending on your traction. But it is fun and doable. But very tricky.

It sort of reminded me of being a kid and growing up in Michigan. I would go out and play in the snow and just be totally wet and freezing cold. Finally making it home where I would drink hot cocoa and get out of my wet clothes. But it felt great. Now it is much easier living way down south because it happens so rarely. It is just a new exciting experience. If I lived up North I wouldn't be so impressed by cold wet weather.

For instance, this weekend the temp is going to be in the mid fifties.

Skate on and have a great time.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 03:49 PM   #23
PBLsQuad450

I've posted before that I swear my wheels slow done... But I may be crazy. I feel like I push and push and just don't ever get going in a good rhythm. Like skating in the wet a little, where your push is inefficient compared to having normal grip. I swear the wheels get less grip when it gets cold. I've found I don't much like skating here in winter. Trails get crappy, wind is constant and painful when it's in the 20-30 degree range... Then if we get any snow or ice condition and you are skating where the trail or road has been cleared it's awful, the salt and sand build up. You can do it, but it's no fun... I love to XC ski so when it snows I'm all in. I'm also in the gym 4-5 days and 1 day each week of Plyos. In February I'll start on the spin bike to get back at endurance work... I like the change too, and I like just good old high intensity lifting. I do Plyos outside no matter what, so 1 day I'm in the cold, I like that, I also find Under Armor's cold weather compression gear to be an incredible first layer. Even compared to the same gear by competitors, it's big bucks, it is wonderful. I can't imagine skiing for a few hours without it.
Old December 29th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #24
evilzzz

I've done 24hr races at both LeMans and RAPS where the temperature has dropped to near freezing overnight, and the effect on your body and performance level can't be underestimated, for all of the reasons already mentioned. Everyone's lap times always drop off when it gets cold, and then start to speed up again around the morning when the sun comes back out.

Conversely, in hot temperatures your cadio system works a little harder keeping you cool so your heart rate is normally a little higher, but so long as you can handle it then these conditions are normally the fastest.
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #25
Code Monkey

It's gotten a bit chilly down here in Texas. Ok, nothing like up North. It was a steady drizzle out and 23 degrees and it was my time to skate so the dog and I go out for a three hour skate. I was rather cold but my dog just loves it so and it's so fun to skate with him because he opens up and runs at about the 20mph mark so I have to work to stay with him. Add some slippin and slidin and it makes for a full afternoon. No falls while skating to my surprise. However, as my dog is checking out a new smell, I do circles and crossovers and basic just rolling around doing squats and stretching.

Going about maybe one mph, I find a rock the size of a nickel and about 4mm thick. Hit is with my front wheel and slide a bit and down I go. Hit pretty hard because I was standing upright and my right elbow is nice and purple. That happened last weekend and it is now changing all kinds of weird colors but I can bend it now. I ordered some pads.
Old February 13th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #26
PBLsQuad450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
It's gotten a bit chilly down here in Texas. Ok, nothing like up North. It was a steady drizzle out and 23 degrees and it was my time to skate so the dog and I go out for a three hour skate. I was rather cold but my dog just loves it so and it's so fun to skate with him because he opens up and runs at about the 20mph mark so I have to work to stay with him. Add some slippin and slidin and it makes for a full afternoon. No falls while skating to my surprise. However, as my dog is checking out a new smell, I do circles and crossovers and basic just rolling around doing squats and stretching.

Going about maybe one mph, I find a rock the size of a nickel and about 4mm thick. Hit is with my front wheel and slide a bit and down I go. Hit pretty hard because I was standing upright and my right elbow is nice and purple. That happened last weekend and it is now changing all kinds of weird colors but I can bend it now. I ordered some pads.
That's been my story on crashes... When I'm screwing around, not skating for real... Oh man, sorry to read that CM, good luck!
Old February 17th, 2014, 02:10 PM   #27
Code Monkey

Hey PB,

Well I am back at it and did the weekend warrior thing and basically really sore. Good sore.

No cold weather skating this weekend. Mid fifties and low sixties. So beautiful. I was out most of the weekend skating and it was like being a kid, just out playing. No time limit which I usually have to adhere to, just out with the dog playing speed skater. Even took food for us so we could just hang out.

Where I live you have to really take advantage of the days like this because soon it gets really hot and humid. During the summer, it is up at 5:00am to go skate because that is the coolest time of day and it will be 95 F with 95% humidity. The evening sometimes you get a bit of a breeze but by then the pavement gets so hot that you just are hot. So when it is perfect out my family knows and adjusts to the fact I will be out almost all day. Saturday I started at 9 and didn't finish till 4:30. Sunday, 9 to 5. I love doing that, what a treat of life.

Hope you are doing well with all the snow.

Take care.
Old February 17th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #28
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Hope you are doing well with all the snow.
I want to be nice, but with the death of the Roller-Dome at the end of 2013, I am really struggling to be nice about this kind of thing... I have really been missing skating, and no amount of weights, bike time, or slide board is making up for time in my speed boots. Time to kill that groundhog...
Old February 17th, 2014, 05:39 PM   #29
Code Monkey

Hey Donnybrook,

Do you have outdoor ice rinks?

It's fascinating how I can't remember to get an item at the grocery store that I wrote down on a list but I can remember skating as a very young kid on an outdoor rink in Mt. Pleasant MI. Gliding along, big snowflakes falling. It was beautiful.

Wish you could take a quick break in Texas, you could stay at my place. The weather is turning beautiful here. Sure there may be an occasional rain but nothing one can't skate in easily.

I was thinking about all the exercises, slideboards, etc., and how doing the exercises in skates is so much better. A few years back I was in the Texas Road Rash and happened to get passed by Joey Mantia twice, would have been more but he finished. Anyway, when he went by his bearings made this nice ringing sound. Mine are quiet. I hear urethane but no bearing ringing. So I talked about it to some bearing gearheads and they said it is because he puts down a lot of side force on his pushes and I don't. So this weekend I really tried to push sideways really hard and still no ringing, however my legs are really sore, plus my upper back. Just goes to show me, Joey's side force is phenomenal. So even though you're wanting to get back on wheels just keep in mind doing those squats and such build up the muscle power in your legs so maybe your bearings will ring when the weather turns.
Old February 17th, 2014, 08:36 PM   #30
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Do you have outdoor ice rinks?
We do, but it has been too cold to spend any appreciable amount of time on outdoor ice. There is an indoor ice rink close, but open skate isn't at an opportune time, and there isn't really a speed team that I am aware of. Regardless, on that count, I don't have short track gear. I am hoping as things warm up, I will be able to get out to the rink close by (it is really small), or hit the one close to where we start our long skates during the summer (full sized hockey rink). Next year, I am planning on keeping an oval cleared on the big lake close by. I didn't get out their to clear snow early enough this year.

Quote:
Wish you could take a quick break in Texas, you could stay at my place.
Me too.

Quote:
So even though you're wanting to get back on wheels just keep in mind doing those squats and such build up the muscle power in your legs so maybe your bearings will ring when the weather turns.
Something I will be looking forward to with the squat set planned for the evening. Joey is way ahead of me, though. I remember him passing me the first year I skated the Chicagoland. He cruised by in the rain at 20mph looking like he wasn't even trying. I was on my last lap, skating alone, totally dead. To be fair, that was my first marathon and first time racing in speed boots, rain notwithstanding. The warmer weather is coming, I am just struggling to be patient. Maybe I can get out to the roller rink soon, but session skating is barely skating.