S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old March 29th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Zafira

Default Sk8Strong DVDs

Hi all,
Hope I am posting this in the correct forum.

Has anyone tried the Sk8Strong off-ice training DVDs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzX2MXFLRbA

I'm thinking about buying the one for adults. Sitting all day at a desk, I'm sure I could use the conditioning.
Zafira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2014, 08:36 PM   #2
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I think that off-skate should be a big part of training. I don't see anything wrong with what they are selling. However, if you don't want to buy anything, I think you can program a lot of this on your own. Do you have a specific idea of what you want to do with a program? What are your goals? Do you have access to exercise equipment? If so, what kind? Is there any area you feel that needs specific work?

Last edited by theDonnybrook; April 1st, 2014 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Better response on further consideration
theDonnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2014, 06:52 PM   #3
Zafira

theDonnybrook,
I want to work more on balancing on each leg, and strengthening or stretching whatever I need to get rid of some recurring shin splints and hip pain. Both on the left. Hip pain is related to an injury from 2008 and it was no longer an issue until I started skating again. I think that the regular session direction of CCW which puts more weight on the left during crossovers has started aggravating it.
And of course my core and arms always could use work.
I have hand weights and a mini-trampoline, that's about it.
Thanks for any ideas!
Zafira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13206462

This is an excellent foam roller, rolling out the muscles pulling on the ligaments and tendons is something you can do cold or hot and legs and lower back are it's specialty, holding yourself in position for the back of the legs will work your arms, shins are easy, just kneel and roll,balancing at all times will work your core, fairly inexpensive.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #5
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zafira View Post
theDonnybrook,
I want to work more on balancing on each leg, and strengthening or stretching whatever I need to get rid of some recurring shin splints and hip pain. Both on the left. Hip pain is related to an injury from 2008 and it was no longer an issue until I started skating again. I think that the regular session direction of CCW which puts more weight on the left during crossovers has started aggravating it.
And of course my core and arms always could use work.
I have hand weights and a mini-trampoline, that's about it.
Thanks for any ideas!
Tell me more about your hip pain. Where, exactly, do you get it? Does it happen while you are skating, or when you are done? How long does it last? What was the nature of the last injury?

Also, what are your long term fitness goals?

My suggestions are just a starting point working with what you have to make some initial gains. What you do from here really depends on what your long term goals are. I race marathon in speed boots, so I am always training technique, functional strength and endurance. My work outs reflect that, and my program is built around my goals. You need to identify your goals before you can start and stick to any exercise program. I don't think anyone can provide more help unless you know what your goals are.

Shin Splints: Work on calf flexibility. I like standing on steps with my toes on the steps and lowering my heels as far as I can. Now, that doesn't work for me so I use this stretch.

Core: Planks are the answer. You can do crunches 100 different ways, but planks tend to be safer and get what you need. This from a former gymnast. Core is important for skating, but you don't need to go crazy. My favorites are the standard plank (prone push up position, wide or narrow feet), McGill Side Planks, and Torsion Control. Hold each for time. Start with 20 seconds and build up by 5 from there.

Arms? How do you use your arms during skating? All kidding aside, grab your free weights and do curls for biceps, over-head presses for shoulders, and bent-over bent and straight arm kick-backs for your triceps. If you can do 20 without any burn, buy more weight. Don't neglect chest exercises, like push-ups. Do bent over rows to get your back.

Legs: Start with air squats, the 200 squats program is a good start. Focus on form. One leg dead lifts are a great body weight starting point for the rear lower string that includes your hamstrings and glutes. Wall sits, if you are a masochist, are good, too.

Balance: Stand on one foot a lot. If you are in line, alternate between standing on one foot, then the other. Also, do this on your trampoline or in your skates. Learn to glide on one foot as long as possible with a single push. More of an on-skate exercise, but it needs to be.
Old April 9th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #6
evilzzz

Lots of off-skate exercises you can try here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/dinobott71
evilzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #7
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilzzz View Post
Lots of off-skate exercises you can try here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/dinobott71
Evilzzz, great resource! Thanks for sharing.