S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #1
one_eyed_slugger

Default Best Skates For Long Skate Paths

Hi,

I do backpacking trips on Rail Trails with my skates. I skate about 20 miles, find a place to stay that night then continue on the next day. Everything I need for the trip I carry on my back. I've optimized how and what I carry and the feel of my skates over time for this, but I was looking to see if I can optimize further. I have a pair of 4 wheel recreational Rollerblade brand, ABT Lite Skates. Wheel size = 78 mm. Hardness = 82A. Can anyone think of a better skate or wheel for long duration trail skating, which includes skating with about 13 lbs on your back?

Thanks for your opinions!

Melanie
one_eyed_slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #2
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Pretty much any marathon or fitness class skates with 90-100mm wheels would suit you well for really long distances. A Team Rollerblade skater named Kacie skated across most of the USA a couple of years ago on Rollerblade Tempest 100s, I think. Soft boots will be a lot more comfortable, but hard shell boots will give you more control. It sort of depends on what your preferences are.
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #3
Code Monkey

Hey one eye.

Interesting you mentioned this because just last weekend I tried a trail skate by Powerslide. Go look at their website to get an idea of what you can get. I skated on the XC Trail and I now want one bad!

I went to a place called Davy Crockett National Forest and the trails were dirt and it was so much fun. It was beautiful and beyond fun. I was able to roll over all kinds of stuff.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:47 AM   #4
one_eyed_slugger

Oh yea! I remember learning about those a couple of years ago. I should look into getting a pair. I would love to go "off road". Thanks for the reminder!
one_eyed_slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 05:10 AM   #5
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
Hey one eye.

Interesting you mentioned this because just last weekend I tried a trail skate by Powerslide. Go look at their website to get an idea of what you can get. I skated on the XC Trail and I now want one bad!

I went to a place called Davy Crockett National Forest and the trails were dirt and it was so much fun. It was beautiful and beyond fun. I was able to roll over all kinds of stuff.
I'm a believer! Here's a video that shows how much fun a human can have with a pair of Powerslide Vi SUV's.

Although, I think he could have spent less time picking himself up off the ground or grabbing trees if he had a brake system like on the XC Trail.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 02:05 PM   #6
Code Monkey

The type I used only had two wheels and they were pneumatic like bicycle tires. Extremely stable and fast. I didn't have poles. The trail I went on was much better than his. I went with my dog and it was so much fun skating in the woods.

At one point we were going down a rather big hill and I was really moving but felt extremely stable and had no issues at all. I am seriously looking into getting some. It adds a whole new dimension to skating. Skating on a dirt trail deep in the woods with just your dog is so different then normal skating that I can't describe it in those terms.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rai trails