S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old June 4th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #1
SkatasaurusJeff

Default Sure Grip 93 Century vs Riedell 220 Epic vs Riedell 172 OG

I think I have narrowed down my skate package choices to these 3....

I believe the price range of these 3 shipped are between around $390 to $440 with OG at the top and the SG in the middle.

Most places seem to list higher than msrp, ie most sites have the OGs for $459-479. Are they adding on to account for the free shipping ? I was quoted best price compared to MSRP for the SureGrips.

I thought for sure I wanted the OGs and really liked the loose look but after staring at everyone elses in a session I went to last night I think they might be a little too loose.

OG
Boot: 172 Black
Plate: PowerDyne DynaPro Aluminum
Wheels: Radar Varsity 57mm Black
Bearings: KwiK ABEC-9
Toe Stop: Jam Plug
Sizes: 4-13 Full & Half - Wider "D"
MSRP: $429

Epic
Boot: 220 Black or White
Plate: PowerDyne Triton Aluminum
Wheels: Radar Varsity Plus 57mm Black or White
Bearings: KwiK ABEC-9
Toe Stop: PD Round Gray
Sizes: White 4-10 Full & Half - Narrow/Medium/Wide
(11 is only available in a medium width)
Black 4-13 Full & Half - Narrow/Medium/Wide
(14 is only available in a medium width)
MSRP: $389

93 Century
93 boot is leather on the outside and soft neoprene on the inside. Boot is strong and supportive with no break in time. Stiff counters help the 93 perform tighter loops and faster spins than the competition. Soft sterling lined tongue will give you better feel while not sacrificing comfort.

The Century plate is one of our more popular plates. Solid fogged aluminum make this the strongest plate in its class. Adjustable toe stops and standard Sure-Grip trucks.

Spirit wheels are unique to skating because of their material and hardness. Sure-Grip started as a wheel company and things haven't changed much. The Spirit wheel encompasses everything we have learned about artistic skating in the last 75 years.
Skate package features the all leather model 93 boot, Century plate, Spirit wheels, QUBE Gold bearings, and a Web toe stop. (I'd replace these with jam/dance plugs)
SkatasaurusJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:45 PM   #2
Sidewinder
UFO

What kind of skating you looking at doing?

The 172's are mainly for people that want the loose skate so it will perform what is essentially an ankle break without their foot coming out of the boot. It allows things like doing toe toe spins where you aren't actually all the way up on your toes. Your feet are essentially 30-45 degrees to the floor as opposed to 75-80 degrees. Much easier center of gravity to work with. Also allows some kick moves that aren't possible without ample movement out of the toe.

I own 220's, bunch of them. Love them all.

JSDarling has the 93's. Not as good as the 220's in many respects imo. Little harder leather, less craftsmanship all around I think.

The plates/wheels/bearings are pretty much all kind of mediocre except for the Qube gold ones. That's package skates for ya though. Would get you started.

My 220's. V cut and the bigger heavy duty speed hook have been added. Otherwise stock.

Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:52 PM   #3
SkatasaurusJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
What kind of skating you looking at doing?

The 172's are mainly for people that want the loose skate so it will perform what is essentially an ankle break without their foot coming out of the boot. It allows things like doing toe toe spins where you aren't actually all the way up on your toes. Your feet are essentially 30-45 degrees to the floor as opposed to 75-80 degrees. Much easier center of gravity to work with. Also allows some kick moves that aren't possible without ample movement out of the toe.

I own 220's, bunch of them. Love them all.

JSDarling has the 93's. Not as good as the 220's in many respects imo. Little harder leather, less craftsmanship all around I think.

The plates/wheels/bearings are pretty much all kind of mediocre except for the Qube gold ones. That's package skates for ya though. Would get you started.

My 220's. V cut and the bigger heavy duty speed hook have been added. Otherwise stock.

Thanks Sidewinder for the informative reply. Quick question - the 220s being sold today, are the tongues fleece (wool) ? Thanks for the pic, they look great. Do you have one if the inside/tongue?
Old June 5th, 2015, 12:53 AM   #4
Sidewinder
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkatasaurusJeff View Post
Thanks Sidewinder for the informative reply. Quick question - the 220s being sold today, are the tongues fleece (wool) ? Thanks for the pic, they look great. Do you have one if the inside/tongue?
Tongues are shearling. Lemme get you a good pic. One of the things that is different from older 220's to now is the padding on the heel counters. The older ones didn't have it. Much much more comfy now.

Gimme like 5 min.
Old June 5th, 2015, 01:06 AM   #5
Sidewinder
UFO

Here's my set that I use currently. I think this will be 2 years on them, maybe 2 and a half. Still in great shape. I mink oil them and clean them regularly.

Here's what a relatively new set looks like. I got them mounted and drilled so that they are identical to my current setup without having to do anything other than tighten bolts. Even had my local cobbler do the V cut and stitch in them and add the extra speed hook. Wore em for one session just to get the fit right.

Old June 5th, 2015, 04:00 AM   #6
SkatasaurusJeff

Thanks - awesome pics
Old April 21st, 2017, 06:27 PM   #7
SkatasaurusJeff

I ended up with Dominion Sweetness Package, which I was not happy with . The Dominion boots were uncomfortable and I ended up replacing the wheels.

I recently ended up selling them through Amazon though there was some size confusion and they may get sent back. My guess is that Amazon satisfied the buyer and I won't see those skates again.

So now in the market again and strongly considering the 220s. The 220s are unisex right ? On some websites I see them marketed as woman's skates.

When I sold the Dominions I put back the wheels so I have wheels/bearings/jam plugs. So I really need just the boot and the plate. However it seems like the packages with the wheels etc are not much different in price than buying the boot/plate individually and having them mount it.

Depending on where you buy the Epic package now includes
at US Skates - PowerDyne Reactor Neo Aluminum and Connies includes the Powerdyne Rival Aluminum plates - not sure if those are same plate or how they are different. If I bought separately I was researching the Avanti Magnesium plates, but those are about $190 and boot is being listed as $275 plus Connie's charges a mounting fee.

Thoughts/Suggestions ?