S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 24th, 2017, 06:05 PM   #21
bjvircks
Major Trouble

total headcount Chicago '17 looks to be 157

total headcount Apostle '17 looks to be 350
Old July 26th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #22
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I was pretty bummed not to be able to skate this race this year. I messed up my shoulder two weeks out and am in a sling for a couple more weeks yet. The course change did look interesting. From all accounts, it was a beneficial change. I think this race puts off a lot of would-be participants because the roads are rough and it is usually pretty hot. I signed up for the rec division this year hoping to beat the heat. Looks like I missed out on skating with Roger Olson. Oh well. Maybe next year.
Old July 27th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #23
Jim

Too bad the numbers are dwindling because it looks like the organizer has finally figured out how to put on a skate race.

For the first time, I didn't see anybody skating around lost with their arms in the air saying WTF. That's because the course marking was stellar this year, making it almost impossible for anyone to skate off into the twilight zone.

Can't say the same for the signage that was supposed to be there to point us to the new parking area. That was a mess! But that was the only complaint that I personally had with this year's race.

I liked the new course. Lots of hills and turns. I'm not much of a fan of rough pavement, but I didn't choose this race to set a new PR either. It was fun!

It was also challenging. I think Chicagoland can now be considered "The Boston of skating marathons".

I realize it's not for everyone though, so skaters who like their marathon courses smooth, turn friendly, and hill-free better stick with Apostle. But for the fit, the fun loving, and the fearless, Chicagoland is your race!

As for me this year, I had problems that had nothing to do with the course or the organizer, but I fully intend to be back skating it next year as I usually do!
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2017, 02:28 AM   #24
kufman

I agree. The race organizers did a much better job this year. I fear that the race is too far gone to save. It might be able to ride on the coat tails of the color run for another year. We will have to see.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote