S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:07 AM   #81
Bill
Junior Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
to rwsz thanks and Mark is Jim's son. To Bill thanks it sounds like something Mark would do. I will try to talk to Jim and Suzie one day. Is Suzie still going to the rink in Redwood City? Tommy Andrews that's someone I haven't seen or heard from in about a good 10 years. I remember Tommy helping me get my OB camel, top bloke for spins.
Thanks and Cheers
Ron Martinez
Ron,
I sent you a message
Tommy said howdy, as did Antoine who I saw in the parking lot. My regular coach is out of town so Tommy is going to be my coach this weekend for a local contest.. Give the rink a call, I'm sure everyone would like to hear from you.
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 06:29 AM   #82
cmgarcia
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
Default

You know, i was here in Miami FL writing a letter to a skate shop in Texas that I recently purchased a set of Bont inlines from that were defective(The leather was tearing already and the stiching was coming apart at only three months old) and the owner of the skate shop (Luther Bernstein) aparently has been around the skating world for about forty years. Claims to know anything and everything about skating. So I go into this long story of how I first started competing when I was 4 (curently 33) and I was trained by this person and that person and skated out of this rink. Well when I was googlin my old coaches names to get the proper spelling I stumbled across this website.Wow memories. Tamy jeru when she would do the inverted and John would swing his leg over her and the whole Roy Rogers colloseum in Texas would "OOOHHHHH" at the same time!!Little Lisa Talias pulling 4 back to back double loops as a primary girl!!! Always had the same music though lol.I was actually coached by both Darlene and her sister Idale barile. Talk about scary!!! Darlene would pull me by the arm full speed across the floor and say " NOW JUMP!!!!" lol. Rick Monturo, Greg Smith, kevin Caroll. All time best skater though would have to go to south Florida local girl by the name of Jenny Rodriguez. Trained with her also when rinks started closing down here. It was the Bariles vs the Mannings vs the Gerigs. training out of the same rink at the same time. Crowded floor. but yeah this brings back memories. Every now and then ill pull out the national videos and feel young again.lol Its so coolhearing all these old names again.
cmgarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:05 PM   #83
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Ron,
I sent you a message
Tommy said howdy, as did Antoine who I saw in the parking lot. My regular coach is out of town so Tommy is going to be my coach this weekend for a local contest.. Give the rink a call, I'm sure everyone would like to hear from you.
Bill
a competition this weekend, good luck Bill and have fun, what events are you skating.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM   #84
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgarcia View Post
You know, i was here in Miami FL writing a letter to a skate shop in Texas that I recently purchased a set of Bont inlines from that were defective(The leather was tearing already and the stiching was coming apart at only three months old) and the owner of the skate shop (Luther Bernstein) aparently has been around the skating world for about forty years. Claims to know anything and everything about skating. So I go into this long story of how I first started competing when I was 4 (curently 33) and I was trained by this person and that person and skated out of this rink. Well when I was googlin my old coaches names to get the proper spelling I stumbled across this website.Wow memories. Tamy jeru when she would do the inverted and John would swing his leg over her and the whole Roy Rogers colloseum in Texas would "OOOHHHHH" at the same time!!Little Lisa Talias pulling 4 back to back double loops as a primary girl!!! Always had the same music though lol.I was actually coached by both Darlene and her sister Idale barile. Talk about scary!!! Darlene would pull me by the arm full speed across the floor and say " NOW JUMP!!!!" lol. Rick Monturo, Greg Smith, kevin Caroll. All time best skater though would have to go to south Florida local girl by the name of Jenny Rodriguez. Trained with her also when rinks started closing down here. It was the Bariles vs the Mannings vs the Gerigs. training out of the same rink at the same time. Crowded floor. but yeah this brings back memories. Every now and then ill pull out the national videos and feel young again.lol Its so coolhearing all these old names again.
more names from the past cmgarcia, thats cool. i have seen most of those skaters on tape and some in person. Jenny Rodriguez was an artistic skater and speed skater. she went to ice and has skated at the olympics and won some medals there too, but u probably know that. Greg is a sales rep for bones powell and at some meets and always at nationals, good people for sure. yes Luther has been around forever lol. hasnt been a nationals in Texas since 89. welcome to the message boards.
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #85
remsk8er
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11
Default

To Bill, Good Luck on the weekend. Do you skate at Redwood City?
If you do, do you know Lori Pearson Clifford? She has 2 daughters
Candice, and Ashley who look like they are going to have a great future
in skating. Anyhow tell Tommy, Lorry, Kenny, Jim, and Suzie I said Hi.
All the best in your future Skating.
Cheers
Ron Martinez
remsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #86
Bill
Junior Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
To Bill, Good Luck on the weekend. Do you skate at Redwood City?
If you do, do you know Lori Pearson Clifford? She has 2 daughters
Candice, and Ashley who look like they are going to have a great future
in skating. Anyhow tell Tommy, Lorry, Kenny, Jim, and Suzie I said Hi.
All the best in your future Skating.
Cheers
Ron Martinez
Hi Ron
I'm at RWC now, so I see them everytime I'm at the rink. I've posted photos from the past 2 Gold Skates and a few other events at www.skaterbill.com . I think you'll recognize a few faces. When I mentioned your name Tommy asked if you still living in Australia.
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:40 PM   #87
pacificsk8r
Senior Member
 
pacificsk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Hi Ron
I'm at RWC now, so I see them everytime I'm at the rink. I've posted photos from the past 2 Gold Skates and a few other events at www.skaterbill.com . I think you'll recognize a few faces. When I mentioned your name Tommy asked if you still living in Australia.
Bill
Hey Bill,

Yes, good luck at the contest Bill. I think it's figures and dance only, am I correct? I won't be skating this one. By the way, tell Tommy and Jim I say hello!

Wanda
__________________
[COLOR="Blue"]Have fun, and skate 'til you can't![/COLOR]
pacificsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #88
remsk8er
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11
Default

Hi Bill, Yes still living in Perth, West Australia. Tell Tommy I'm back into Coaching. I've been back about a year and enjoying it more then ever.
I have around 40 regular students in figure, dance, and freeskating, and around another 50 coming through Star classes so the future is looking OK.
All the best for the Comps. and Gold Skate
Cheers
Ron Martinez
remsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #89
rwsz
Senior Member
 
rwsz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: mass
Posts: 6,874
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
Hi Bill, Yes still living in Perth, West Australia. Tell Tommy I'm back into Coaching. I've been back about a year and enjoying it more then ever.
I have around 40 regular students in figure, dance, and freeskating, and around another 50 coming through Star classes so the future is looking OK.
All the best for the Comps. and Gold Skate
Cheers
Ron Martinez
Ron sounds like your doing a good job in Australia, helping skating and making a living at it at the same time. cool
__________________
Ciao Rick
rwsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #90
Bill
Junior Member
 
Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
Posts: 2,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
Hi Bill, Yes still living in Perth, West Australia. Tell TommyI'm back into Coaching. I've been back about a year and enjoying it more then ever.
I have around 40 regular students in figure, dance, and freeskating, and around another 50 coming through Star classes so the future is looking OK.
All the best for the Comps. and Gold Skate
Cheers
Ron Martinez
Cool !!!
I'll let Tommy know what you are up to. I could tell Tommy liked you by the way he talked, he even told me a few stories... I think Tommy has stories about everyone he has met skating. I think he should write a book!

btw, I'm going to call Lori and vollunteer to help her with the breakfast tomorrow, I'll tell her you said howdy.
*edit* Lori said a big HI!, and that she was happy to hear you got to see the video clips of her girls skating. She was also very excited to hear you are back coaching.

I'm thinking of vacationing to see worlds this year, maybe we will see you there.
Have fun with your club!
Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM   #91
kenkendebit
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3
Default

THANKS KATHIE FOR THE REPLY. i'M TEACHING AT SKATE WORLD, IN SAN DIEGO.

i'VE READ MORE DEEPLY INTO THE SITE AND SEE THAT THE '70S HAVENT BEEN NEGLECTED.

I'D ALSO LIKE TO THANK EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO MY FIRST POST, TERRIBLE SPELLING AND ALL.

I AM IMPRESSED WITH THE ELOQUENCE OF THE MOST FREQUENT POSTINGS.

I THIND PACIFICSKTR WILL REMEMBER CAROLEE KNESS. SHE SKATED FOR MIKE GLATZ, SR. I TAUGHT HER ICE SKATING FOR A FEW YEARS.

THIS IS MY VERY FIRST COMPUTER/ CHAT ROOM EXPERIENCE.

NUMBERS! OF COURSE THATS WHAT OUR SPORT NEEDS! i AGREE THAT THE RISING COSTS IN RUNNING A RINK HAVE DECIMATED THE SPORT. eVERY TOWN THAT HAD A BOWLING ALLEY, HAD A ROLLER RINK; BACK "IN THE DAY"
IN '73 MY SIS AND I SKATED AGAINST 106 SOPHOMORE DANCE TEAMS. WE GOT 18TH THATYEAR. I'M REALLY PROUD OF THAT 18TH PLACE. THOSE '70S GOLD SKATES WERE AWESOME! SHANNON GENTILE, I HEARD WITH A LITTLE HELP FRON TOM PANNO, MADE JIMMY BREA A STAR. SHANNON IS OF COURSE A FORMIDABLE WOMAN.

I STILL HAVEN'T MADE IT TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SITE. I'T JUST GREAT TO REMEMBER ALL THOSE TIMES THAT THE FAMOUS NAMES BRING BACK.

K dB
kenkendebit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #92
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
Hi Bill, Yes still living in Perth, West Australia. Tell Tommy I'm back into Coaching. I've been back about a year and enjoying it more then ever.
I have around 40 regular students in figure, dance, and freeskating, and around another 50 coming through Star classes so the future is looking OK.
All the best for the Comps. and Gold Skate
Cheers
Ron Martinez
Ron, great to hear!! Good luck... we need more people like you in our sport over here! How do u manage so many students? OMG! I have 3 and that is my maximum ... wow!

Jayson
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 05:29 AM   #93
pacificsk8r
Senior Member
 
pacificsk8r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 181
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenkendebit View Post
I THIND PACIFICSKTR WILL REMEMBER CAROLEE KNESS. SHE SKATED FOR MIKE GLATZ, SR. I TAUGHT HER ICE SKATING FOR A FEW YEARS.
K dB
Aaahh, sorry to say I can't recall Carolee Kness, of whom you speak. I was around in the 60's, then not again until the early 80's for only a couple of years, and then most recently from about 2002. But my recollections of the 60's are by far my best years. I just wish I'd been older to appreciate it more. But, I will not lose heart, there may be many more fun and memorable times to come? I am really enjoying my 2nd (well
3rd really) go around too, but just in a different way than I did when I was young(er). Many of the names may not have necessarily been "famous" per se, but they certainly conjur up many memories for me. In fact, the so-called famous ones are only famous amongst (is that really a word?) "us" skaters...(maybe), which I find disheartening.

I recall Elmer and Ellie Ringiesen from the San Diego area I believe, when I skated. Also, Tim Jones, who now attends the university where I work also skated out of the San Diego area in the not-so-distant past.

And you're right about every town having a bowling alley and a skating rink back then. That's funny.
__________________
[COLOR="Blue"]Have fun, and skate 'til you can't![/COLOR]
pacificsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 03:37 PM   #94
remsk8er
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11
Default

Hi Jayson, thanks mate still reckon You are one of the best skaters Australia
has ever produced. I still remember the days of you and Simon skating against
each other. That was good to watch. Make sure you keep up a bit of coaching Australia needs you! Now on to Bill thanks for saying hi for me to everyone at RWC some of my best times were spent at the rink. I'm hoping to get to Worlds. If I do we'll catch up. Talk to you later. Now to kenkendebit
You jogged a few memories Micheal Glatz, skating against Dean Maynard back in the mid 70s. Glatz had some nice triples, and Dean had one of the best heel camels in the business. I think everyone who skated in the 70s remembers JIm Bray. Does anyone remember when Jim brought Linda Blair
to a party at regionals? That was funny. A bunch of teenagers going crazy.
Thanks for the memories!
Cheers
Ron Martinez
remsk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:39 AM   #95
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by remsk8er View Post
Does anyone remember when Jim brought Linda Blair
to a party at regionals? That was funny. A bunch of teenagers going crazy.
Ron Martinez
Now we're talking.. do tell, I wanna know all about that!
When Jim came here to promote Roller Boogie, he did a demo at one of the rinks here in Melbourne (out in the sticks mind you) and another girl was there posing at Linda Blair, and skating.. it so wasnt her!!!

rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2007, 10:17 PM   #96
smiller03
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
Now we're talking.. do tell, I wanna know all about that!
When Jim came here to promote Roller Boogie, he did a demo at one of the rinks here in Melbourne (out in the sticks mind you) and another girl was there posing at Linda Blair, and skating.. it so wasnt her!!!

Now was that for Roller Boogie or for the Jim Bray's Travelling Show thing?
__________________
[URL="http://www.susan-a-miller.com/skate/home.html"]Classic Artistic Roller Skating[/URL]
smiller03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 12:36 AM   #97
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left
 
Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Youngstown, Ohio, USA
Posts: 3,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted View Post
I skated in the 70's - 1980, and belonged to the Levittown Skating Club ...... Jane Puracchio....
Last I knew, she was coaching out of Painsville, Ohio. Her last name has changed due to a marriage. Also, last I knew, her brother Jim is involved with running (or at least working) at the rink.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 06:58 AM   #98
oceanangel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 24
Default old champs

here are a few names i remember so very well (30 years!) Silvia Hafke (i still have the program she signed for me!) David Tassineri, Diane Kerns, Edger Watrous,Pat Fogerty, Michale Jaques, Pat Bergin, Pat Shannon, Mary Sue Wilcox (who is now a national champion ballroom dancer) Earlene Hardy, Cindy Davis, DonWilson, Ron Butler, Chuck Hartloff, Jim Collyer, Dave Berg, Dave Jergstad,DeeDee Marino,Penny Martin (who challenged Darlene Barille every year from juvi up to senior) Darlene, (cant rember who always got 2, but it was always a chnge off between that girl and Penny). Karen Marshall and my self competed at nationals in intermediet ladies freestyle. how about John Gustfson and his brothers Ron and Rick. then there was Bill Dokken, Gary Lintz. Dave, Dale, & Darrel Naro. Debbie & Christy Hills. i also skated agains April Allen in my senior year. Natalie Dunn was a year behind. what about that cute little Anselmi, i loved to watch her skate! AND Dale Sprague Jr. Tim , Terry, and Gary Lapoint. Larry Lisk, anyone remember the year Natalie Dunn was skating and a giant spider was crawling across the floor? how about Karla Blair, Patty Jefferson, Jeno, and Jana Jensen huh? does anyone remember little Tara Lapinski, or Cassie Davis? and last but not least, Anna Conklin. now thats just to name a few! see you next time. Good night!
oceanangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 07:02 AM   #99
oceanangel
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 24
Default old skating friends

can anyone tell me how to get in touch with mr. Dayney, or Randy, or Robin?
oceanangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:01 AM   #100
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller03 View Post
Now was that for Roller Boogie or for the Jim Bray's Travelling Show thing?
Hi, how are you? that was for RB! it was good otherwise, and Jim appeared on the 'Don Lane' show and performed 4 double loops in a row on a mock rink they set up especially for him...
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.