S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old May 13th, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Hazelnut

Default Bakersfield CA news story on men returning to Freestyle

Here are two links to the same story:

This is the local news station's website. The video story is in the local news section and titled, "Two Men Hoping for a Roller Skating Comeback".

http://www.kget.com/default.aspx

The Skaters Newsflash club on facebook has this story, too. It looks as though it's recorded off of a television set.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....75119&comments

The two skaters featured are Leroy Hicks and Alan McNamee, both in their mid-50's. Coach Natalie Dunn Fries talks a little about coaching them.

Hazel
Hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #2
snyder-dude
"DRUMMING FOR JESUS"

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnut View Post
Here are two links to the same story:

This is the local news station's website. The video story is in the local news section and titled, "Two Men Hoping for a Roller Skating Comeback".

http://www.kget.com/default.aspx

The Skaters Newsflash club on facebook has this story, too. It looks as though it's recorded off of a television set.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....75119&comments

The two skaters featured are Leroy Hicks and Alan McNamee, both in their mid-50's. Coach Natalie Dunn Fries talks a little about coaching them.

Hazel

Awesome !!!!!
Old May 13th, 2011, 04:42 PM   #3
KMA

Many of their practices are "televised" on line similar to how the worlds were.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
DanSchallock

Wow, I gotta give it to them for having the courage to try. Being able to watch the training videos is pretty cool too.
How freaking cool is it that they have Natalie DUNN as their coach right now!!????
I bet that means they will all be at regionals together this year. I am totally going to go and see if I can score some autographs.
-Dan
DanSchallock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2011, 11:01 PM   #5
Donnylutz

Just awesome! I keep thinking I'm past my prime for freestyle and I"m not yet 30. This just shows that skating stays in our blood forever, and that you are never too old!
Donnylutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:23 AM   #6
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

I saw that today. Very cool, indeed.
Old May 14th, 2011, 01:34 AM   #7
Ancient1

I wonder if Natalie would coach me...
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:03 AM   #8
rwsz

Donny one world class man in singles is 31 and the other older one i think is 29 or 30. so your not too old
Old May 15th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #9
srknurse

Default televised skating

Saw the video. Think it's AWESOME and very inspiring! Kudos, too, to Natalie Dunn-Fries for coaching non-World-Class-track skaters (although I think these 2 are skating World Class due to their past status, correct?). As a young adult, I skated for a World-Class coach, and although I am a national figure medalist, she blatantly stated that she didn't like coaching adult skaters. UGH!

I hope that this video inspires many skaters to return to our sport. Clearly these skaters have so much to give back, and I read that their video on KGET's website was garnering more hits than the news story about Osama Bin Laden!

I lived in Bakersfield from 2000-2004. Darnit, too bad that these guys weren't there when I was there!

These guys make me want to create my own skating "vision quest", too...
srknurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #10
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Wink I think both Leroy and Alan are ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Donny one world class man in singles is 31 and the other older one i think is 29 or 30. so your not too old
I think both Leroy and Alan are, considerably older then that.
But I am enjoying their quest..

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #11
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
I think both Leroy and Alan are, considerably older then that.
But I am enjoying their quest..

yes Ray they are 20+ years older then that as are others i seen in the older divisions of singles and some of them pretty good too. but leroy and alan arent going to skate world class i dont think. good luck to them but it seems like its been a tough road so far.
Old May 16th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #12
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

After watching the video of these professionally trained guys in their 50's; at age 67, and mostly self-taught, I'm very happy with where I am. I think if our rink had an artistic club over the past 20 years I would have learned the skills to beat them. One thing for sure - I'm in much better shape than they.
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:47 AM   #13
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool I haven't asked the specific question to either of them, BUT

Quote:
yes Ray they are 20+ years older then that as are others i seen in the older divisions of singles and some of them pretty good too. but leroy and alan arent going to skate world class i dont think. good luck to them but it seems like its been a tough road so far.
I haven't asked the specific question to either of them, BUT I believe that World Class is their goal???

Old May 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #14
rwsz

Quote:
I haven't asked the specific question to either of them, BUT I believe that World Class is their goal???

Ray that is what they said initially but i really cant see it so far. i just hope they dont seriously hurt themselves.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #15
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Talking Just got an answer back from Alan!!

Quote:
Ray that is what they said initially but i really cant see it so far. i just hope they dont seriously hurt themselves.
Just got an answer back from Alan!! With the injury and surgery Leroy had to his knee, and I'm sure due to the realities of the situation, Alan said they will both be skating Sophomore A and Novice A at the West Coast Regional.. They do want to get to nationals..

The original intent was WC, but reality sometimes requires a bit of time to be realized!!!

I love there attitude, and the interest their quest had generated.. Best of luck to them both!!!
Old May 19th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #16
rwsz

Quote:
Just got an answer back from Alan!! With the injury and surgery Leroy had to his knee, and I'm sure due to the realities of the situation, Alan said they will both be skating Sophomore A and Novice A at the West Coast Regional.. They do want to get to nationals..

The original intent was WC, but reality sometimes requires a bit of time to be realized!!!

I love there attitude, and the interest their quest had generated.. Best of luck to them both!!!
thanks for the info Ray, kind of like i thought, at least they are smart enough to know not to over push it. reality and age make a huge difference, singles is really a young mans sport. not that you cant do it but 2 axles and triples are tougher after the age of 40 or 50. although i know some 40 year olds that can still do triples, but they never really stopped skating fully.

i wish them well also.
Old May 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #17
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Unhappy Say it's not so???

Quote:
thanks for the info Ray, kind of like i thought, at least they are smart enough to know not to over push it. reality and age make a huge difference, singles is really a young mans sport. not that you cant do it but 2 axles and triples are tougher after the age of 40 or 50. although i know some 40 year olds that can still do triples, but they never really stopped skating fully.

i wish them well also.
Say it's not so, Double Axels, and Triples are only for the younger set??? And I was so looking forward to unleashing a Triple Toe, flat backed of course, one day soon... So you are trying to tell me that 70 is too old for free style!!!

Come on Rick, say it ain't so!!!

Old May 19th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #18
CyCy

One of the most frustrating aspects of this sport is how humbling it is.

Here I was, all up in my own deal, figuring maybe six months or so and I'd be juuuuuuuuust about ready to get myself back to skating comp and giving these dames a run for their money. I saw me coming back to dance, relatively slowly, maybe working on my silvers again. I saw a lot of things.

Then I put on skates and rolled around. And hello reality.

But these Bakersfield guys, they're not alone. There's you, me, a number of people here that write about their struggles and limitations and it doesn't matter. we're pushing like mad. It's good to see it. I'm with those guys. I think I know where they are. I'm gonna guess they're falling a lot. I don't envy that. But I love the struggle. It's a frustrating struggle, to hit the age wall. I hope they push past it. I'm trying like crazy myself.
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #19
rwsz

Ray i have to say 70 is so lol,,,,,,,,so is my age 62. lets face it, its hard to go back and accomplish what you once could do when you havent done it for so long. i am not trying to put anybody down here, just facing reality and the truth.
Old May 20th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #20
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Unhappy I totally understand...

Quote:
Ray i have to say 70 is so lol,,,,,,,,so is my age 62. lets face it, its hard to go back and accomplish what you once could do when you havent done it for so long. i am not trying to put anybody down here, just facing reality and the truth.
I totally understand... When I first laced up my Snyders again, in September 2008.. I was really expecting and quick get back to my old abilities, and be back doing Gold Medal Dances with ease!!! NOT

It's heading on to two and a half years back, sore knees, time off to heal them, blood clots, and the realities of trying to get back on form at 70 now, have really hit home..

And today I'm heading back to the rink after about two months off for the problem with my Left Knee, and I a bit worried about how this session will go????

Today will just be a roll around day, and hopefully no issues!!!

Wish me luck!!!