S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old March 16th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #21
CyCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdpf View Post
I will be there!..Also have a couple of people meeting me there for session from my rink.........hope that its a little busier than it has been.......gives me inspiration when other skaters from other rinks are there.

Sorry to hear that you are still falling........ but, keep practising, you'll be out there showing me how to do some of these dances......
(laughing) I don't plan to keep falling but I'm not going to worry about it. i think it goes with the sport.

I don't know how busy the sessions have been, I only went to that one at Christmas and that was very empty. The other members say it's becoming more crowded as we get closer to preR. I'll try to hang around tonight a little bit. I get really tired after shlepping around for an hour. But I'll go a little later and hopefully you'll get there a little earlier and we will meet up. I asked about you and apparantly everyone knows you, so I'll be the one you don't know. See you then (if I make it)

-Cynthia
CyCy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #22
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
(laughing) I don't plan to keep falling but I'm not going to worry about it. i think it goes with the sport.

I don't know how busy the sessions have been, I only went to that one at Christmas and that was very empty. The other members say it's becoming more crowded as we get closer to preR. I'll try to hang around tonight a little bit. I get really tired after shlepping around for an hour. But I'll go a little later and hopefully you'll get there a little earlier and we will meet up. I asked about you and apparantly everyone knows you, so I'll be the one you don't know. See you then (if I make it)

-Cynthia

Hm, dont know if that is good or bad.

Have to stop for a bite to eat and then will be there.....
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #23
CyCy

Default DAY FIVE: I am humbled

DAY FIVE

I am thinking of writing someone to suggest an event with two footed figures since they seem to have everything else. (that might be considered a joke).

My edges are coming along. My feet are sort of cooperating. But I'm still chasing my center, trying to find my balance. Not lungeing so much but still feeling rather ape like, all upper body issues. Not breaking at the waist but not holding strong either.

It's funny..skating for me used to be so intuitive. I didn't think about it, at least in terms of standing upright, etc.

Now I have to think about what I'm doing where I am, where my balance is, every single second Im out on the floor. For the first time in my life. It's very humbling.

I'm okay with it but as I was telling someone, I feel so good at moments I could almost do a quick turn and start skating backwards (this happens whenever a blues comes on particularly) and then I have to laugh at such audacity. I'm still catching my right inner front wheel edge on the floor so I don't think this would be a bright move. My brain has already informed me that if I did that, there's a very good chance I would fall and hit my head, my back and possibly really hurt myself. So I'm not going to do that yet. Oh but how I'd like to.

All in time.

I loosened my trucks and now I'm playing hard with edges. Since they just did the floor for preregionals there are fresh circles all up and down the rink and the floor is fabulously fast, so as I stroke, I stroke the circle edges and I can do some killer two foot figures . Superb tracing. (hahahahha)

It give me hope. Once I find my balance, I can work on take offs. I do love my figures.

But oh that blues.....I feel it calling. And that back to front (after the outer back swing) is a chocktaw. outer back to inner forward. It's a sweet little dance. I promise me, I will do it again. I FEEL it.

ONWARD!
Old March 17th, 2011, 01:07 AM   #24
Ancient1

Cynthia,
It will happen. Give it time.

Quote:
DAY FIVE

I am thinking of writing someone to suggest an event with two footed figures since they seem to have everything else. (that might be considered a joke).

My edges are coming along. My feet are sort of cooperating. But I'm still chasing my center, trying to find my balance. Not lungeing so much but still feeling rather ape like, all upper body issues. Not breaking at the waist but not holding strong either.

It's funny..skating for me used to be so intuitive. I didn't think about it, at least in terms of standing upright, etc.

Now I have to think about what I'm doing where I am, where my balance is, every single second Im out on the floor. For the first time in my life. It's very humbling.

I'm okay with it but as I was telling someone, I feel so good at moments I could almost do a quick turn and start skating backwards (this happens whenever a blues comes on particularly) and then I have to laugh at such audacity. I'm still catching my right inner front wheel edge on the floor so I don't think this would be a bright move. My brain has already informed me that if I did that, there's a very good chance I would fall and hit my head, my back and possibly really hurt myself. So I'm not going to do that yet. Oh but how I'd like to.

All in time.

I loosened my trucks and now I'm playing hard with edges. Since they just did the floor for preregionals there are fresh circles all up and down the rink and the floor is fabulously fast, so as I stroke, I stroke the circle edges and I can do some killer two foot figures . Superb tracing. (hahahahha)

It give me hope. Once I find my balance, I can work on take offs. I do love my figures.

But oh that blues.....I feel it calling. And that back to front (after the outer back swing) is a chocktaw. outer back to inner forward. It's a sweet little dance. I promise me, I will do it again. I FEEL it.

ONWARD!
Old March 17th, 2011, 02:53 AM   #25
emtdpf

Quote:
DAY FIVE

All in time.

ONWARD!
Nice to meet you, wish you would have stayed a bit more and been able to watch some warm ups for preregionals..
Team from Schenectady was there, WC womans solo was there........

Floor is fantastic...... even that corner by the snackbar..... he filled it nicely.

From what I saw of you on the floor, your off to a good start
Old March 17th, 2011, 07:47 PM   #26
CyCy

bless your heart. that is so sweet (and really much needed. I feel like such a cluck)

great meeting you too don!

in a few weeks maybe sooner I'll start hanging out for session. I'd already told my husband I'd be home after practice and not stick around. to be honest, I have to ease HIM into this new thing of going off without him and hanging out in rinks like a hussy. (silly man that he is)

however, I will be doing weds sessions once I get my stamina. I gotta confess that today I'm poop-ped. next week will be better. and the week after that, better still. promise.

and you come back!
Old March 17th, 2011, 08:28 PM   #27
emtdpf

Quote:

bless your heart. that is so sweet (and really much needed. I feel like such a cluck)

great meeting you too don!

in a few weeks maybe sooner I'll start hanging out for session. I'd already told my husband I'd be home after practice and not stick around. to be honest, I have to ease HIM into this new thing of going off without him and hanging out in rinks like a hussy. (silly man that he is)

however, I will be doing weds sessions once I get my stamina. I gotta confess that today I'm poop-ped. next week will be better. and the week after that, better still. promise.

and you come back!
I'll be back, just not as often as........I would like.

Money... the big ticket item that I dont have while the wife is on disability.......but maybe once more before Preregionals, and then a couple of Sundays with my dance partner to get ready for Regionals......
Old March 18th, 2011, 01:15 AM   #28
CyCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtdpf View Post
I'll be back, just not as often as........I would like.

Money... the big ticket item that I dont have while the wife is on disability.......but maybe once more before Preregionals, and then a couple of Sundays with my dance partner to get ready for Regionals......
well whenever you can get here, I should be around. or let me know when you're coming down. right now, I'm working on getting up early for weekend practice and getting out the door.

(aside from the usual, we have dogs and they're used to me doing everything for them before I do anything. no way am I going to hang out with them for a couple of hours before I leave at 6:45 am. I love them but not that much.)

looking forward to seeing you and your partner and shooting the breeze otherwise. you take care. great meeting you!
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:10 AM   #29
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool Sure is, Murder that is..

Quote:
Jim MOLESKIN!! Right! thanks for the idea. I'll pick some up tomorrow. I gotta do something. This is murder!
I stopped skating the first time and was off for 15 or so years, and made a comeback at the ripe old age of 38!! The minute I stepped back on the floor, it almost like I hadn't stopped at all. In a few days I was back up to speed.. For whatever crazy reason, one usually doesn't record those things, but I stopped skating again in 1999??? And nine years later, decided to skate again.. Well at 68 the challenges, this time around, were much more a problem then I imagined.

Every-time I lace'em up now days it seems a lot more depends on the Weather, The Planet Alignment, and where my brain and pain level are at.. Age presents a few more challenges, and just a few limitations, like I doubt there are any doubles in my future, at least none with out a protracted hospital stay!! BUT I still get a thrill, just walking in the door of a skating establishment, just like I did when I was a nine year old heading to a Saturday session!!!

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #30
CyCy

Default Days 6, 7, 8 and 9

DAY SIX

Saturday was a wonderful practice. I started seeing it's possible to work towards pullng my foot through at the top of the circle (or anywhere for that matter). I was up on skates for I guess two hours so the stamina is slowly coming... As for the pulling through, at this point I can only think about doing it. Still not able to pull through on my right foot. Left, getting it with my outer edges, but inner edges...still skating entirely on two feet. My tracing is pretty hot. I MAY just write that letter about creating two foot figure events. (my idea of a joke)

DAY SEVEN

Monday, tired. Went anyway as I did not practice Sunday. Did not so much practicing but fooled around on the circles anyway. First half hour, right ankle killing me, the blister is now a hole in the skin on my ankle bone. The rink operator Jason, offered to punch the boot out again, this time overnight. I gratefully accepted.

DAY EIGHT

Tuesday, still tired. Went anyway.

(*Hey...I'm six minutes away. I don't have an excuse!)

Got my punched out boot, acccomplished not so much but worked on breaking in the boots, and feeling my balance. Still trying on the circles, still wanting to pull that foot through.

(learned about 112 and 113. interesting figures.)

DAY NINE

Today, still pooped. I don't know what's up but I don't care. Went to practice. Between allergies and getting more snow today, I'm about ready to go to bed and pull the covers up over my head for a week.

Rebecca at rink suggesting rolling around in the opposite direction. YES!! Clever woman!! Very good for working on those boots, balance and edges. Still tooling on the circles. I can balance on my left foot for maybe half a circle but right is impossible.

Conclusion: Not up to snuff but I'm better than I was yesterday. I wish it moved faster but I suppose this is all I can expect.

(starting using the Wii fitness for balance...here's hoping it will help!)

ONWARD!
Old March 24th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #31
CyCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
I stopped skating the first time and was off for 15 or so years, and made a comeback at the ripe old age of 38!! The minute I stepped back on the floor, it almost like I hadn't stopped at all. In a few days I was back up to speed.. For whatever crazy reason, one usually doesn't record those things, but I stopped skating again in 1999??? And nine years later, decided to skate again.. Well at 68 the challenges, this time around, were much more a problem then I imagined.

Every-time I lace'em up now days it seems a lot more depends on the Weather, The Planet Alignment, and where my brain and pain level are at.. Age presents a few more challenges, and just a few limitations, like I doubt there are any doubles in my future, at least none with out a protracted hospital stay!! BUT I still get a thrill, just walking in the door of a skating establishment, just like I did when I was a nine year old heading to a Saturday session!!!

Ah Ray, your post made me smile!

It's true about planet alignment...and THIS WEEK WAS THE BIG MOON!! perhaps that was why I was so tired! (how's that for a crappola excuse!?)

I think I worked so hard last week and possibly overdid it. But you know what...it's all paying off slowly.

I know what you're saying about walking in the door...it's so true. that smell, of wood and clearcoat and funky rental boots and old cruddy rugs and the dust of a million million children.

yes, it is a great smell.

it reminds me of art school. when I first walked in the door of the Art Students League on 57th St, after not taking a painting or drwg class for maybe ten years, that smell of oil paints and turps hit like a mac truck. For me, it's the smell of home.

like a rink. I can remember my first time. I was such a little girl, maybe eight or nine or ten. and I fell in love with the beautiful Eastern Parkway Roller Rink in Brooklyn, now of course long gone. But it hooked me for life. Fifty odd years later, I'm still there, still loving this beautiful sport.

And so grateful that I am healthy enough, strong enough to be coming back.

And I WILL come back. That much I know. (If I don't fall on my head and break it like Humpty Dumpty)
Old March 27th, 2011, 08:58 PM   #32
CyCy

Default DAY TEN

DAY TEN

Well it would be sweet if ten were the charm. Not charming ten today, my tenth practice. Because all I know is my knees are sore (don't know why), I'm sluggish and poopy (don't know why), this morning thought to myself "self, I don't know why I'm doing this except I gotta, I love it (I think) and I set a goal for myself and I will do it.".

By the time I finished practicing today, almost almost almost able to place one foot in front of the other and push off. Almost almost almost able to hold my foot in position for an entire circle. ALMOST is becoming my new mantra.

Left foot is good, getting better, getting there, almost very strong. Plus I think, my left leg is longer than my right! I believe my last pro and I established that a million years ago because that is the sort of thing that can throw you off when you're doing certain things, like pulling the left foot through on a right forward inner edge.

Figures is SO SO SOOOOooo about subtleties and nuance. As I recall now my right foot was always a problem, in terms of weight distribution. In order to deal with the shorter right leg/longer left leg, the right hip or something was either out of whack...the shoulder, the height of a hand, even a flick of the fingers.....something had to be accommodated or adjusted for it.

Ah the body.

Whats nice is that it's coming kiddies, whatever it is, it is. When I get tired I stumble around like crazy but I know that now. So I stop. I even start again for a while until I finally tell myself GO HOME. I'm not trying to kill myself. Every day it gets better, different, stronger, more confident. YAY me!

I'll tell you, I'm am CRAVING to fool around and do a simple turn and maybe some backwards dance and relax a little. Except that's egotistical folly.
Don't get me wrong. I could. And I could fall on my head too.

Thing is, I WILL fall again. I'm not afraid of falling. It's silly to be in this sport and be afraid to fall. I'm GONNA fall. But I don't want to fall doing something unnecessary when I'm not strong, which to be honest, I'm not. I can't buffer my falls. And I really don't know where I am or even how to right myself.

You know what I'm talking about. My muscles aren't there yet, to buffer a fall. To right a fall. Or even prevent one. <--love that little guy. pretty much sums me up right now.

So right now I'm preventative skating. Not defensive, but I'm in "wrist guard/defensive" mode. At least for a few months, until I have my balance. That's what I'm missing most, my balance. Once I have it, I will turn and dance and do figures and skate like a human being and not worry so much.

ONWARD! (there should be a little raised fist emoticon)
Old March 28th, 2011, 03:09 AM   #33
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Keep it up! You will get there. . I'm just getting to the point after a year where turning around comes easier and skating backwards is a reality.

S
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #34
CyCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
Keep it up! You will get there. . I'm just getting to the point after a year where turning around comes easier and skating backwards is a reality.

S

thanks Sarah.

I know I will and yuppp...it does take time. I was talking to my son last night (the one who skated) and he asked how I was and I said, "terrible!". we both laughed.

Of course I'm terrible. But that can't last forever. (or can it???? ) (que: twilight zone music)
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #35
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

Quote:
thanks Sarah.

I know I will and yuppp...it does take time. I was talking to my son last night (the one who skated) and he asked how I was and I said, "terrible!". we both laughed.

Of course I'm terrible. But that can't last forever. (or can it???? ) (que: twilight zone music)
Nah, it can only last forever if you give up. I want MORE MORE MORE out of myself, too. In another few days I will officially be at one year of skating seriously (minus a month out for the sprained ankle) and taking lessons and I have made a lot of progress. But not as much as I would like.

S
Old March 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #36
CyCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slhallford View Post
Nah, it can only last forever if you give up. I want MORE MORE MORE out of myself, too. In another few days I will officially be at one year of skating seriously (minus a month out for the sprained ankle) and taking lessons and I have made a lot of progress. But not as much as I would like.

S
thanks Sarah. Yes...always wanting to do more than....

(don't I know that?)

-Cynthia
Old March 29th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #37
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Default One WORD, Boot Covers!!

Quote:
I actually felt almost good. Still tripping along, still surprising myself with how much trouble I'm having with balance and feeling my center. Yet.........I could casually roll around the rink, slowly, talking, looking elsewhere, looking up, here there down...I was even able to fool around on the circles. Not one footed of course, but almost. Could feel the tracing, could almost....well...almost. Kept it short. Still doing only an hour plus or so. I think the struggling is what's so exhausting. That and of course, the tension of being so wary and aware of my shortcomings and difficulties.

Covered the bad ankle with a foam pad, a soft sock AND a stocking over it (didn't have time for moleskin search yesterday).

Boot felt better. Not great. I suspect these will end up being my figure boots and I'll start looking around for a nice soft dance boot because these are STIFF and they're not ever going to not be stiff. I'm surprised. Maybe in a year I'll feel differently. I'm not even thinking about how I'm going to deal with an Atlas with no toe stop. The thing is, toe stops mean nothing to me at this point.

Oh yeah, I fell again. This time forward, on my knee. (laughing) So I'm laying down and I rolled over and just lay there on my back looking at the roof and laughing. Ridiculous is how I felt. Not too much damage, only to my pride. Everyone there was mortified of course. One woman asked me if I knew why I fell. I didn't have a clue.

I think it may have been the fact that I'm starting to DO things I have to do to move along. I have never been overly cautious. I don't move that way, I like to move. I've always had this thing for the feeling of speed, not exactly, but that wind on you as you pick up speed. And doing backwards dances...like ( I think it's) the Southland Swing?. One of my all time favorite dances...that strong inner after stepping forward from the back swing lift. I have always loved doing that particular dance solo. I swear I will do it again. It was all I could do to NOT try to skate backwards yesterday. For all my nervousness, I feel sort of unafraid in a way now. (almost) I know what i have to feel I'm doing to do what I want to do, if you follow what I'm saying. (YES I HAD ON MY WRIST GUARD THANK YOU SHELLY!!) (and it felt good to have it there as I rather softly hit the deck!)

There is a knee scrape but nothing serious. No bruises, just a couple of raw scrapes. I iced it, just to be sure and took a couple of naproxins before I went to bed but no soreness or swelling today. Just knee scrapes like a knuckleheaded kid would have, except I'm no kid. All this flopping around is killing my beautiful white boots that don't crease for anything. I'm glad I'm an artist because I can touch up with acrylic paint and then polish. But it's sad to see them getting worn down on the toe.

battle wounds, is what I call em. fighting the good fight.

ONWARD!!!

PS. hoping to meet don later. hoping to meet all of you at some point or another!
One WORD, Boot Covers!! I, nor my partners practiced or took lessons wearing Boot Covers, but we always wore then in competitions.. Our boots looked trashed, but a cheap set of boot covers made everything pretty again...

I grew up doing all the dances with partners.. Seldom if ever were solo's allowed to skate the Dance Specials, and any of the rinks I frequented.. Lessons were always taught in Partnership. And I really liked skating with a partner.. I guess that was just how it was done back in the day??? The Southland Swing was one of my Novice Dances, and it was also one of the Classic Danes I was doing in the 80's when I came back to skating.. Unfortunately a Heart Attack cut short my aspirations to return to competitive Dance skating!

The one aspect I miss now days is hat there aren't any ladies to skate the dances I want to do.. Since I left Detroit in 2008, I haven't seen anyone do the harder Gold Bar and Gold Medal dances, except for the occasional meet or on the live feed from Nationals and Worlds.. Sad indeed, where did everyone go????

Old March 29th, 2011, 05:53 PM   #38
CyCy

Default Day eleven

Monday was a good practice. Not great, not even particularly good but I started working on dance steps because my figures are stalled in "can't balance my stupid foot" mode. So I'll work on balance skills in the wii and work on swings and chasse's.

DAY ELEVEN

Subtle tension now that preregionals is a couple of weeks away. My tactic is to try to be as polite and flexible as possible which means not getting much done for myself except being on skates, which at this stage of the game is about all I can do anyway with any consistancy. (<---love that guy)

I was run off the circles all through practice yesterday and I expect it will be that way until mid April and THEN to June when regionals takes place. The solo dancers are working it and they're competitive and expecting to go to Nationals, so I'm happy to accommodate them. I intend to be right there to cheer them on.

And to be completely honest, it doesn't bother me in the least because I know when I'm competing again and practicing for my events I will be just as obsessive and pain in the ass and won't budge and people will look out for me and go around, or we'll work out how we'll do it because that's how it's done. Everyone gets nuts and everyone needs their practice.

In the meantime, I'm really proud of them.

I can report I stayed upright, did my chasse's, did my swings, kept my legs bent, did some deep edging, kept working on the "and" position, kept my free leg extended and away, my dance feels better than my figures. Except I can't remember any dances that I can do anyway. I didn't even recognize the Denver Shuffle.

oh well.

ONWARD!
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM   #39
CyCy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footwork View Post
One WORD, Boot Covers!! I, nor my partners practiced or took lessons wearing Boot Covers, but we always wore then in competitions.. Our boots looked trashed, but a cheap set of boot covers made everything pretty again...

I grew up doing all the dances with partners.. Seldom if ever were solo's allowed to skate the Dance Specials, and any of the rinks I frequented.. Lessons were always taught in Partnership. And I really liked skating with a partner.. I guess that was just how it was done back in the day??? The Southland Swing was one of my Novice Dances, and it was also one of the Classic Danes I was doing in the 80's when I came back to skating.. Unfortunately a Heart Attack cut short my aspirations to return to competitive Dance skating!

The one aspect I miss now days is hat there aren't any ladies to skate the dances I want to do.. Since I left Detroit in 2008, I haven't seen anyone do the harder Gold Bar and Gold Medal dances, except for the occasional meet or on the live feed from Nationals and Worlds.. Sad indeed, where did everyone go????

I don't even want to think about where they are...

I've noticed a lot of women wear tights that go down and cover the boot, instead of stockings. At least for practice. I'll have to see what they're wearing at PR. I ordered a couple of pairs of tights that I'll cut the bottoms open, sew in elastic and make them combination boot covers/tights. If not for comp, they're great for practice. I'm practicing in jeans anyway now.

The new thing is flesh colored boots, like ice skaters wear. I have always loved them. Gives such a clean line. I love the white boots too, but there's something very elegant about the beige. So when it comes time for the new boots...I'm gonna get the beige ones.

Ray, I was thinking about dying these boots flesh colored and wear covers when I practice.

Can't wait to see what the styles are.

I know I do NOT like the skirt style. Looks like an unpinned diaper. uck.
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:13 PM   #40
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Wink Well I understand that!!

Quote:
DAY TEN

Well it would be sweet if ten were the charm. Not charming ten today, my tenth practice. Because all I know is my knees are sore (don't know why), I'm sluggish and poopy (don't know why), this morning thought to myself "self, I don't know why I'm doing this except I gotta, I love it (I think) and I set a goal for myself and I will do it.".

By the time I finished practicing today, almost almost almost able to place one foot in front of the other and push off. Almost almost almost able to hold my foot in position for an entire circle. ALMOST is becoming my new mantra.

Left foot is good, getting better, getting there, almost very strong. Plus I think, my left leg is longer than my right! I believe my last pro and I established that a million years ago because that is the sort of thing that can throw you off when you're doing certain things, like pulling the left foot through on a right forward inner edge.

Figures is SO SO SOOOOooo about subtleties and nuance. As I recall now my right foot was always a problem, in terms of weight distribution. In order to deal with the shorter right leg/longer left leg, the right hip or something was either out of whack...the shoulder, the height of a hand, even a flick of the fingers.....something had to be accommodated or adjusted for it.

Ah the body.

Whats nice is that it's coming kiddies, whatever it is, it is. When I get tired I stumble around like crazy but I know that now. So I stop. I even start again for a while until I finally tell myself GO HOME. I'm not trying to kill myself. Every day it gets better, different, stronger, more confident. YAY me!

I'll tell you, I'm am CRAVING to fool around and do a simple turn and maybe some backwards dance and relax a little. Except that's egotistical folly.
Don't get me wrong. I could. And I could fall on my head too.

Thing is, I WILL fall again. I'm not afraid of falling. It's silly to be in this sport and be afraid to fall. I'm GONNA fall. But I don't want to fall doing something unnecessary when I'm not strong, which to be honest, I'm not. I can't buffer my falls. And I really don't know where I am or even how to right myself.

You know what I'm talking about. My muscles aren't there yet, to buffer a fall. To right a fall. Or even prevent one. <--love that little guy. pretty much sums me up right now.

So right now I'm preventative skating. Not defensive, but I'm in "wrist guard/defensive" mode. At least for a few months, until I have my balance. That's what I'm missing most, my balance. Once I have it, I will turn and dance and do figures and skate like a human being and not worry so much.

ONWARD! (there should be a little raised fist emoticon)
Well I understand that!!, the preventive mode that is.. Fortunately I have never been much for falling, but I do skate fairly aggressively.. People used to ask me, "Aren't you worried about falling"?? No not ever, and least in my former life in skating.. I told myself when I came back in 2008, that, if I couldn't skate the way I wanted to or somewhat close to the way I'd like to skate I would hang'em up for good.. My worse enemies right now are my knees, they are both shot.. And I still have to see the doctor about what I did to my left knee in NYC two weeks ago??? I used to tell the people worried about falling, and me falling, that I feel that I have to fall once a year, whether I need it or not!! Into my third year of my comeback, and having only fallen once, I guess I'm ahead of the power curve a bit!!

But this comeback thing is a bunch harder then I originally imagined.. And right now my desire is to just skate dance comfortably.. I will never get back to comfortable and confidently skating Gold Medal Dances, but all I hope for is a few laps of some of the old dances, just enough to put a big smile on my face again.. Such a simple request, but the hill to that achievement, is still pretty steep, for a Seventy year old with bad knees???