S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 24th, 2012, 02:27 PM   #41
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXRskater View Post
If we want to save and grow the sport WE have to all make an effort.
I couldn't have said it better.

Honestly, I have been spending so much time training for Nationals that even my family wonders what I look like now. I came back from Nationals and my son said "Mommy, I like your hair. It looks so long now. I missed you!" LMAO

So because of all that training (and other promoting on Facebook and my own website and spreading the word locally by visiting local rinks) I haven't had time to spend on internet forums lately. Otherwise I would have been out here promoting and 'informing' my butt off. But at some point it was a matter of choosing to be in the rink training, or be on the internet. (Obviously, we know which one is the better choice LOL!)

I am not disagreeing with anyone really, there is a lot more that could be done, and if USARS had the man-power or money to do some decent web designing, it probably would have been communicated much better. But it just so happens that there are stigmas with quad skates that stick out in people's minds and that is going to be there for forever, I'm afraid. Just like how I'll have to put up with people always asking me if I'm a derby skater at session simply because "I'm such a great skater" and I'm on quads, so they assume that is my sport of choice. But I spend so much time training for speed there's no way I'd have time to invest in derby and all the volunteer work they do. Heck, if anything, they do more work for the roller skating world than any speed skater does. Derby knows what they are doing as far as advertising goes. I could only hope that we would have such awesome posters and shirts and stuff that centered around speed skating. (Yes, we do have some awesome stuff, but it's not out in the public as much as derby gear is.)

OK - I gotta get back to work so I'm jumping down off my soap box, but if I can take Quad Nationals this serious, and consider it an honor to compete against amazing skaters who are breaking national speed records, then I'm sure I'm not the only one. It's just a matter of everyone chipping in and doing something positive THEMSELF instead of sitting around waiting for others to jump in and do it. Ya know? I hear people at our rink complain about how bitter they are with the decreased number of quad skaters in the last decade, but I don't see them jumping out and setting up websites and forums and printing posters and tshirts.

At some point we need to stop wasting time focusing on negative feedback and start working on positive reinforcement for those who are doing everything they can for the sport like skatersplace did. I know the web feed wasn't amazing, but I did hear that a lot of that was a result of issues with the Ustream service and not necessarily HIS equipment. Not a whole lot he could do about that. Who knows, maybe I'll work on getting some fundraising for him next year and help him out so there will be more watching in 2013? Hmmmm. that's a thought...

Ok - back to my mundane, non-rolling, 40/hr a week job. *sigh*
Old July 24th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #42
kufman

I guess I am not sure what we can do to improve the exposure of the online information. If I Google "quad speed skating nationals" the very first result is a link to the USARS home page. On that homepage there is a big picture of a few speed skaters that takes you to a full page of information about nationals (note: this now shows an art skater since speed nationals are over). I always post information about nationals on my facebook profile and I usually e-mail people at work the link too, although this can sometimes backfire. At least all my coworkers got to see me skate 50 feet, lol!

There were also 2 or 3 threads here on Skatelog with links to Skatersplace. One in Speed Skating, one in Speed Events, and I believe one in the Quad Speed area as well. If we post any more times we will get in trouble for spamming! I am not talking down to anyone who couldn't find it, but I am not sure where to post it to make it more visible. Skatelog is one of last good forums now that the Hyper board is gone. Inline Planet is more of an outdoor page so I can understand why they don't post much about it. Facebook is useful as well, but by the nature of Facebook the information tends to stay within the normal skating crowd anyway.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 05:50 PM   #43
Redbeard
Vinland Rollers

Default Okaaaaay...

Jenne has captured a lot of my personal frustration.
I was trying to make it to Portland for the Oaks quad speed meet...as was the ENTIRE Foothill Speed Team from Sacramento, CA. My lady and I were driving an hour and a half each way AFTER WORK to attend practice. The kids and adults on the team were hosting car washes, and selling local coupon books for Sacramento merchants tor raise money for the trip to Portland. Ron Henry our coach has been battling recovery from the loss of ONE OF HIS LUNGS, and the state of CA's disability system...and was LOSING money coaching us, as the rink hosted us basically for FREE.
SO, what happened?
They cancelled the event.
Lame.
So, the kids look like idiots to those that supported them with money, and they were left with a huge sense of FAILURE...and the team has since imploded. There were twenty active members who now have a bad taste in their mouths. We were stuck with airline tickets, had to re-reschedule vacation times, and just felt burned.
Around this time we were HOLLERING for info from USARS...maybe their site is updated now, but in February is certainly was NOT. It had info from 2008.
So, did we train and schedule time off of work, buy tickets, book hotels and get ready for Nationals?
Of course NOT.
So, we look like raving jerks because we are trying to support a dying sport, and spend thousands to attend an event with NO rewards other than knowing we reached a personal goal.
The thought of having to chase info down is just RIDICULOUS. As was stated...where is the support from USARS on this site? My ad bar is displaying work jackets right now....
How is that helpful?
FXRSkater made a PILE of good points.
When we go to a rink, and it's dodging kiddies on roller/strollers while the DJ plays music with NO beat. Do we bother to ask about a speed team? Why would we, when the places are staffed with teenagers who have never even heard of quad speed. When we try to align with local speed teams that are all inline, and try to assemble a quad team, we are told we can drive two hours and pay to "watch inline practice"....
Really?
Who am I talking about? Ooooh, let's start with Milpitas Speed, out of San Jose. We can talk next about the folks training at Rohnert Park. That speed team? Couldn't even get in to roll with them..."INLINES ONLY...sorry."
We are having to rent entire rinks to show up with OUR coach to get some time in. Otherwise, it's sneaking a few minutes in after night time sessions and a three hour round trip.
How does this add up to a "sport" for us?
We are BUSTING our humps to make this work...and support rollerskating, from the rink, to the industry, to the event stage...and there is NO official support in anyway.
USARS needs to make specs available to the local rinks, and encourage the speed teams to take root. There a PILES of derby girls and guys who would LOVE to take their skating to the next level. Who sees them, and gets involved? Like FXR said...KIDS.
Hearts and Minds, people.
Hearts and Minds.
Roller skating is breaking my heart, and driving me out of my mind.
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #44
quadbob

Cool agreed

i agree about the inline thing, it's hard to get them to alow quads, some still have the old mentallity.
we went to the rinks and offered to recoat the floor once a year in exchange for floor time. it has worked out reasonably well but we are both inlines and quads. i hope this helps in some small way and good luck. quads are a tough sell.
quadbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #45
Redbeard
Vinland Rollers

Default Oh, and really...

Please read the above in non-angry tones, and understand..I love the sport, I want to contribute...but, it's become super tough to connect and make a difference.
Last week at Sunrise in Citrus Heights (Sacramento, CA area) we had a stream of little girls following my lady around all night after she did a couple of hotlaps against the guys...beating everyone but the one dude on inlines during their informal "race" portion of the night's session.
The kids want to roll.
Fast.
Let's find a cohesive way to let it happen....
Old July 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #46
Nevilove1

Default Quads only

I kind of envy you guys. Our team is QUADS ONLY, and I almost got kicked out one practice when I insisted that I wanted to practice on inlines. I drive an hour each way and miss three hours of work to practice inlines.

Why can't we support BOTH!?
Nevilove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #47
kufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevilove1 View Post
I kind of envy you guys. Our team is QUADS ONLY, and I almost got kicked out one practice when I insisted that I wanted to practice on inlines. I drive an hour each way and miss three hours of work to practice inlines.

Why can't we support BOTH!?
We can and many clubs do. It is an attitude problem not a real problem.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:07 PM   #48
Redbeard
Vinland Rollers

Default Yep...

People get ground down, and financially challenged. I get it.
It's hopeful when there are tender shoots of quad enthusiasm. I really hope we can communicate more, and understand when events are happening, and support one another on a meaningful level.
Any ideas on how to keep this discourse happening?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:53 PM   #49
rollinron

Default it helps

to be seen skating on quads and going fast.
during sessions, big parking lots, get your quad friends together and be seen by kids, grown ups, the media, I'm trying to put something together and pitch RollerKing about a quad team, the floor at the other rink we were using is too narrow to get any real speed going and has a couple of dips right where you don't want them. 18 months ago when I started to put together our quad team here in Sacramento I went to sessions at every rink around and if I saw a skater with their own skates and I thought they could balance themselves and were not intimidated by the skates I gave them a flyer and told them about quad speed skating, we had times when we had 27 skaters at a practice, some were derby skaters, some were old school champs from the 80's back for a night of re-living some fun. some were young kids who liked quads because thats what the other kids were skating on during the sessions they skated. we also had times when we only had 5 or 8 peolpe show up and I was out of my pocket for the rink fees. after the first 8 months the rink cut the fees in half to try and keep us going after we proved to them that we were serious about this. derby skaters were keeping us going for a long time but as derby skaters get better they advance on their teams and then they have derby practice the same night we have speed practice and we end up loosing them. I will welcome any thoughts and ideas about getting quads into the public eye and will help anyone who wants info and ideas about starting quad speed in their town .
rollinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #50
TONY KISSING

Default First practice castle skateland

The first practice i held at castle skateland back in
september of 1975 had 75 racers of all ages both male and
female.
All were racers who had skated state meet and
invitationals. No beginners. They came later on.
Quad speed skating was at it's height then. Only yo have
usac ruin it. Powder should've been taken out of the
sport but any wheel should've been legal to use.
This old man has many memories of the great days of
quad roller speed skating!!!
TONY KISSING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #51
NorCal03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Jenne has captured a lot of my personal frustration.
I was trying to make it to Portland for the Oaks quad speed meet...as was the ENTIRE Foothill Speed Team from Sacramento, CA. My lady and I were driving an hour and a half each way AFTER WORK to attend practice. The kids and adults on the team were hosting car washes, and selling local coupon books for Sacramento merchants tor raise money for the trip to Portland. Ron Henry our coach has been battling recovery from the loss of ONE OF HIS LUNGS, and the state of CA's disability system...and was LOSING money coaching us, as the rink hosted us basically for FREE.
SO, what happened?
They cancelled the event.
Lame.
So, the kids look like idiots to those that supported them with money, and they were left with a huge sense of FAILURE...and the team has since imploded. There were twenty active members who now have a bad taste in their mouths. We were stuck with airline tickets, had to re-reschedule vacation times, and just felt burned.
Around this time we were HOLLERING for info from USARS...maybe their site is updated now, but in February is certainly was NOT. It had info from 2008.
So, did we train and schedule time off of work, buy tickets, book hotels and get ready for Nationals?
Of course NOT.
So, we look like raving jerks because we are trying to support a dying sport, and spend thousands to attend an event with NO rewards other than knowing we reached a personal goal.
The thought of having to chase info down is just RIDICULOUS. As was stated...where is the support from USARS on this site? My ad bar is displaying work jackets right now....
How is that helpful?
FXRSkater made a PILE of good points.
When we go to a rink, and it's dodging kiddies on roller/strollers while the DJ plays music with NO beat. Do we bother to ask about a speed team? Why would we, when the places are staffed with teenagers who have never even heard of quad speed. When we try to align with local speed teams that are all inline, and try to assemble a quad team, we are told we can drive two hours and pay to "watch inline practice"....
Really?
Who am I talking about? Ooooh, let's start with Milpitas Speed, out of San Jose. We can talk next about the folks training at Rohnert Park. That speed team? Couldn't even get in to roll with them..."INLINES ONLY...sorry."
We are having to rent entire rinks to show up with OUR coach to get some time in. Otherwise, it's sneaking a few minutes in after night time sessions and a three hour round trip.
How does this add up to a "sport" for us?
We are BUSTING our humps to make this work...and support rollerskating, from the rink, to the industry, to the event stage...and there is NO official support in anyway.
USARS needs to make specs available to the local rinks, and encourage the speed teams to take root. There a PILES of derby girls and guys who would LOVE to take their skating to the next level. Who sees them, and gets involved? Like FXR said...KIDS.
Hearts and Minds.
Roller skating is breaking my heart, and driving me out of my mind.
Prob a little late to jump in on this topic but reading this I felt the pain... I just got back into skating and would love to do some quad speed (even at my age) BUT, called several rinks (NO can do) and spoke to some team leaders, I guess they were leaders?, anyhow Red is correct Milpitas said "No Quad, Inline Only" and then I talked with some people at redwood and San Ramon (you would have thought quad speed was a ___ contracted disease) So, even if you take the organized race out of the equation just a time to do hot laps isn't available. How are you going to drive an increase in participation or interest like that. {Lastly, who knew you could watch Nationals? I have been reading this forum like crazy and I didn't know - I had even talked to the wife about attending just for the nostalgia and such}
Old August 26th, 2012, 06:37 AM   #52
Redbeard
Vinland Rollers

Default Yep!

We just decided to do our own thing. Private coach, renting rinks, and working w owners to make speed sessions quietly.
It's a big commitment. Financially, and time wise...but I am unable to skate on my knees!
Old September 12th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #53
sommemi
Evn my Redbloodcells roll

You know, I'm not sure why inline and quad can't alternate at practices... I mean, I admit we are mainly a quad team, but we DO have inline skaters layering their races in between quad races. However, if someone wants to do both, it's pretty tough. It would be nice to have a simpler solution. (If I had one, I would suggest it... I really would. It's just one of the hazards of having too few rinks nowadays, really. More rinks=more options. )

But I hate to admit it, I agree with others when they say that USARS is really just not doing the best job of promoting... well.... anything. Although even from my own experience trying to promote a skating FESTIVAL, that was hella hard work, and it really does rely on good word of mouth. Anything else is really expensive. I have no idea who runs their website or if they have to operate within some kind of guidelines of US sports (since it seems it is a division of that now). I'm sure they could find someone with a little web-smarts to try to resolve some of those issues. Although, I'm sure that would require them hiring another person, and who knows where THAT budget money would come from.
Old September 13th, 2012, 03:04 PM   #54
princessfluffhead

" There a PILES of derby girls and guys who would LOVE to take their skating to the next level. Who sees them, and gets involved? Like FXR said...KIDS.
Hearts and Minds."

I agree with a lot of what Redbeard says in this thread. If we don't encourage kids and lead by example skating will be a dying sport and quad speed will go with it. I skated some speed as a teenager ane my current best friend was an art skater. We met when we both started playing derby years later because there wasn't anything else that was a team sport on quads left around our area.

Between us we have 3 kids that are amazing skaters. My son is ten and has been skating since he was five. The kid is a natural on skates and he begged me to find a speed team or junior derby team he could join. There isn't a single speed team that I could find in the state of Florida that uses quads. Heck, the closest inline team is 150 miles away. He only wants to skate quads though.

If skating organizations like USARS can't help, then who can? Our most frequently skated rink won't even do races anymore during session because they say it is an insurance risk. We know the problem, but what are the solutions?
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #55
JandKLarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessfluffhead View Post
There isn't a single speed team that I could find in the state of Florida that uses quads. Heck, the closest inline team is 150 miles away. He only wants to skate quads though.
Not sure this is of any help (as I am not familiar with the geography of Florida), but did you see this thread?

http://www.skatelogforum.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45786

It does appear that quads are welcome.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM   #56
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

looks like it would be a 3 hour drive, 187 miles, 1 way
Old September 13th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #57
princessfluffhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
looks like it would be a 3 hour drive, 187 miles, 1 way
It is a little over three hours, you are correct! {sigh}
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:42 PM   #58
Ohlingsrus

I was watching quad nationals, third year in a row but missed most of it because of work. Redbeard, so sorry to hear about the impact that the oaks meet getting canceled caused for your team/group. The quad skaters on the oaks speed team really wanted to make it happen and were volunteering our time to help out. Rink management decided to call it off. I do not know why. I do think that quads are coming back, slowly. Rogua is making plates again. There are more options for wheels, meets are starting to happen and there seems to be more marathons that are allowing quads. Yes we need more kid involvement. I coach a junior derby team and run a "speed" style practice once a week for adults and kids. I've got kids and adults who are now willing to make the 1.5 hour drive to practice at the oaks. Oaks allows quads and inlines to practice at the same time. I know of at least three Quad meets in the PNW. The Gresham meet I learned about last night, see seperate post, Oregon state games, Washington state games and there was a meet in Linden Washington last year, I think. Now we have the NC meet over thanksgiving. I'm not going to make that. Family comes first. Troy, the gresham speed coach, puts on the Oregon state games. It is outdoor and on a bank track none the less. THe track is old and not the best but it is loads of fun. Troy has made every effort to include quads in this event. Washington added quads to their state games this last summer. I did not know about it in time. It was indoors. I am going to try and post every Quad meet I hear about in the quad speed forum. Hope this will help people out. To add to already mentioned issues, I had no idea about the live stream of nationals until I became a member of SLF. That's a shame. If more people knew, more would watch.