S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old February 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Default Are we the only ones?

Just a thought here...

I've been mostly lurking in this particular forum without posting until today and have a question:

Are my friends and I weird in the world of Quad Speed?

We skate 80's-style ice hockey boots converted into quads (mostly Bauer Turbo with some on Roces etc) with hockey wheels (Belair hockey), to counteract the narrowness of the wheels we fit ACS651 skateboard hangers on there...

If I could afford a set of skates like the rest of the world seem to use then I would try them out but the above is the "norm" for us in Wigan

Just wondered if there were any other people out there that skate speed in unusual setups?
Elysarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Null Object
Forward Mounted

Well I have a typical Ozzie setup but from a trip I did to london in 2005 it would seem you are rocking exactly what I saw everyone wearing when I was there. I went into some big park (cant remember the name) and there was a crew carving through some cones and basically roller dancing. they all had the setup you are describing. I dont know how styles happen like that but it's interesting.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #3
TimeKeeper_CYMRU
John

Default Some Big Park .. .. like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Null Object View Post
Well I have a typical Ozzie setup but from a trip I did to london in 2005 it would seem you are rocking exactly what I saw everyone wearing when I was there. I went into some big park (cant remember the name) and there was a crew carving through some cones and basically roller dancing. they all had the setup you are describing. I dont know how styles happen like that but it's interesting.
Hi
I wonder if the clip at the far end of this link might be similar to what you saw?

If so, this might also bring back memories.

Regards, John,
South West Wales, UK.
TimeKeeper_CYMRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM   #4
TimeKeeper_CYMRU
John

Default Quad Speed Skating in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysarian View Post
Just a thought here...

I've been mostly lurking in this particular forum without posting until today and have a question:

Are my friends and I weird in the world of Quad Speed?

We skate 80's-style ice hockey boots converted into quads (mostly Bauer Turbo with some on Roces etc) with hockey wheels (Belair hockey), to counteract the narrowness of the wheels we fit ACS651 skateboard hangers on there...

If I could afford a set of skates like the rest of the world seem to use then I would try them out but the above is the "norm" for us in Wigan

Just wondered if there were any other people out there that skate speed in unusual setups?
Hi Elysarian,

Just curious, what is the level of speed skating on quad rollers in the UK?

I can't recall seeing any mention of Quad Speed on the UK's Speed Skating website (FISS), are you Racers, Recreational, or somewhere in between?

John, South West Wales, UK
TimeKeeper_CYMRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #5
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKeeper_CYMRU View Post
Hi Elysarian,

Just curious, what is the level of speed skating on quad rollers in the UK?

I can't recall seeing any mention of Quad Speed on the UK's Speed Skating website (FISS), are you Racers, Recreational, or somewhere in between?

John, South West Wales, UK

Pretty much recreational only (at least in the group I roll with) - Our rink will only be re-opening in a couple of months after a 20-year absence

I'm hoping that we'll get enough interest to get together on a more formal basis for speed skating though once the rink is established again .
Old February 10th, 2010, 09:34 PM   #6
Null Object
Forward Mounted

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKeeper_CYMRU View Post
Hi
I wonder if the clip at the far end of this link might be similar to what you saw?

If so, this might also bring back memories.

Regards, John,
South West Wales, UK.
Yeah this is the kinda stuff I saw in England.
To be honest - I would love to skate as simply as this. Switching from forward to back etc and without any care. I can go round and round ok but I'm really looking forward to the day that my skates are an extention of my feet and I can just cruize around.
Old August 24th, 2012, 12:56 AM   #7
Fronts

Default Better late than never...Converted Skates

Thought I would post a reply from 2012. No your not alone and I am sure there are plenty on this forum nowadays. I will look though I have only been here a few days.

This is my setup I skate at rinks and with sims on the street.
Bauer flexlite 1.0, playmaker plates, belair wheels - indoor only and fronts.
I like this setup because they were easy to convert, inexpensive plate and boot compared to most, looked pretty good...to me and felt great when I broke them in. The other plus just for me is I have honking great wide feet and Ice skates come in widths like DD - EE etc. I love the cheaper Boot as less protection meant more flex.

Used to skate Bauer Turbos when I was a youngster and started up again around two years ago. Don't think I'll ever stop, Don't think I'll ever change my boot type. Most of London and surrounding areas that skate this style are a mix of jam skaters,shuffle skaters, hockey players and a whole lot of people who like a good skate and dance.

Gotta love skating
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ic31a1p80s...20plugs%20.JPG

Last edited by Fronts; August 24th, 2012 at 01:01 AM. Reason: link invalid for some reason.
Fronts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
Elysarian
Ex-Pat Wiganer

My how things have changed in the 2 years since I started this thread

I'm still wearing my converted hockey boots (Bauer RX-05's now) but I've switched wheels - went through trying a set of SG Zooms (not a good wheel, they're on the wife's skates now as they are actually an upgrade for indoors over her old wheels!) to my current wheels which are in my avatar pic

Like a good portion of my rink buddies I've moved away from nylon plates too - a good mix now at Wigan but my plate of choice is the SG Avenger in Magnesium which is lighter than my old nylon Variflex.

Next stage for me is to upgrade my boots to Bont QRC's - need to save up for those then order them (may have to go at least semi-custom, possibly full custom as I have flipper feet) - quite a number of the guys are coming off their hardshells and moving to better boots now (even a Reidell R3 is a major upgrade for us lol... though I'm seeing Vanillas and Rebels around the Rink and there's chances of the pro shop getting some Labeda boots in soon).

Now with added Daughter!
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #9
cass38a

I have been looking everywhere for a link but cant find it. I saw a clip from an old pommy TV show where they did a segment on Quad Speed Skating. The skates in the video were all NTS clip axle low cut speed boots.

One of the men was wearing a pair of sluggos/budgie smugglers which was pretty funny.

Based on this video alone I would guess that the racers used skates just like the Italians and aussies.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #10
HK47
Roll Player

The Quad Squad do speed skating and mostly have Bonts (the bigger guys use Vanilla Curves), and they're very very British.

Historically, quad speed skaters in the UK used low-cut speed boots; Dexter and Beadles both made those in the UK. Dexter sold lots of wide speed wheels in the US, and Beadles sold their top-end plates there too (and in Aus). I think this went out the window when inlines took over for serious speed skaters and there was a massive dip in quad use, then when people came back all they could easily find for sale was Bauers
Old September 15th, 2012, 04:01 AM   #11
cass38a

Found the video on facebbook.....................I shared it in November last year but it is not on youtube and I dont know the source.

The only options the video has is share or embed but I dont know how to get it working from here.

If anybody knows please fill me in.

If you really want to see it PM me and I will add you to facebook and share the video again.
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 12:36 AM   #12
Speedy Dave
Jammie Dodger #76

In the late 80's early 90's most of us in the UK were on low cut Risport boots (the black ones with a green 'R' on them) and short forward Boens.

This is a good place to see some old quad skating. http://www.britishskatinglegends.com/
Speedy Dave is offline   Reply With Quote