S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #1
slowsk8

Default What happened to quads?

All the talk about wanting more quad racing, now we have Nationals and no one talking about it and not many watching.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Recovry4x4

This is just one man's opinion. They are trying to grow a new head on a snake that had it's head chopped off. That head was chopped off in 1977. Roller speed skating used to be a blistering fast, highly competetive and highly attended sport prior to that. The atmosphere was speed, the sound was speed and the attitude was speed. There was a transission period in 77 until probably 80 where new wheels would come out monthly. As the market struggled for the ideal style of wheel, it was those with the cutting edge wheels that held an advantage over the folks who either didn't have access or the financial means to keep up with the latest wheel technology. That coupled with changes in the then "RSROA" cut the sport right to the quick. It's just never regained that spirit that it had back then.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 05:08 PM   #3
Mark1975

Quad speed took a second seat to inlines once they became the standard for speed events in the early 90's. In my opinion quad speed was fairly popular atleast in the US until it changed over to inlines. Unfortunately, quad speed in the US has really come down to one big event (Nationals) in the year. I watched most of the Quad skating on Skaters Place and only about 150 people were watching. With those numbers I doubt it will be streamed next year, which is a shame.
Mark1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:53 PM   #4
kufman

It is hard to get kids interested in quads. They love them for session skating, but after they get blown past by inlines at speed practice, their interest in quad speed flies out the window. Inlines also have the advantage that they more easily work outdoors. Don't get me wrong, you can quad skate outdoors, but quads just are not nearly as fun outdoors as inlines are. Plus, the industry really doesn't support outdoor quad skating. They make outdoor wheels but most of them are pretty poor.

Unfortunately, I predict that quads nationals may cease to exist in the next few years. We typically have more skaters at a league meet than showed up for quad nationals.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:37 PM   #5
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
It is hard to get kids interested in quads. They love them for session skating, but after they get blown past by inlines at speed practice, their interest in quad speed flies out the window. Inlines also have the advantage that they more easily work outdoors. Don't get me wrong, you can quad skate outdoors, but quads just are not nearly as fun outdoors as inlines are. Plus, the industry really doesn't support outdoor quad skating. They make outdoor wheels but most of them are pretty poor.

Unfortunately, I predict that quads nationals may cease to exist in the next few years. We typically have more skaters at a league meet than showed up for quad nationals.
Yes and I think we have nearly as many on our team (inline and quad) as showed up at Nats (quad)

What I was realy asking, after seeing so much talk on here about wanting to bring back quad racing, why are not more people watching?
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:56 PM   #6
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I had to work and couldn`t
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:18 PM   #7
Jenne

Where was it shown?
Jenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:25 PM   #8
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

I was watching until my laptop took a dump. Then I watched on my phone until I finally decided it wasn't worth it because of the video quality. When I got home yesterday evening with my new laptop all the racing was done.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:38 PM   #9
online inline

i watched a bit of it.
would have probably watched more if getting at a schedule was a little easier.
online inline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Jenne

Where was it advertised? Was it one of those things that you just had to know about to be able to watch it? How did you find out where it was shown?

I just got back into quad skating a couple of months ago and have interest in getting faster and watching other people skate fast. I knew Nationals were going on because of the thread on this forum asking people what wheels they were using (or would use,) but have not easily found information on where it was streamed. People can't watch if they don't know where and when to find it. Even if I, personally, could have done more to track down that information, that doesn't help get the word out to people who have casual interest-- it doesn't help to make it obscure and difficult to find.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 11:51 PM   #11
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

It was on USARS website, plus some just know that skatersplace.com is going to stream the event.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:15 AM   #12
Jenne

I'm just trying to say that just because people aren't watching doesn't mean they're not interested...
If I search Quad Speed Skate National on Google, I get a page with scores from 2008.
If I search USARS, the first link is not USARS and the second link is for downloading forms.
If I just take USARS and add a .com to the end of it (which is a common strategy), I get a search spam placeholder site.
(The rest of the links that show up for me on a Google search are shaky You Tube videos apparently taken by a cell phone.)

If the question is why didn't people who know about this watch it-- I can't answer that. But if they wanted people who didn't already know about it to find out and watch, they didn't try very hard.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:35 AM   #13
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
I'm just trying to say that just because people aren't watching doesn't mean they're not interested...
If I search Quad Speed Skate National on Google, I get a page with scores from 2008.
If I search USARS, the first link is not USARS and the second link is for downloading forms.
If I just take USARS and add a .com to the end of it (which is a common strategy), I get a search spam placeholder site.
(The rest of the links that show up for me on a Google search are shaky You Tube videos apparently taken by a cell phone.)

If the question is why didn't people who know about this watch it-- I can't answer that. But if they wanted people who didn't already know about it to find out and watch, they didn't try very hard.
I get the point you are trying to make and it makes more sense than you know. I wouldn`t have known of the link to the live stream if it hadn`t have been for this site but there are scores of people out there that DON`T do SLF and would have no clue about the live streaming. They could go and do alot of reaching out but I think the quad speed skate manufacturers go do some more on their own as well.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:39 AM   #14
Jenne

I thought about that, too. The skate shops could help, too. I've bought a lot of skate gear online in the past month or so, so I get a lot of ads for skate shops. If info about this event had been included in the ads targeted to me, that would have gotten my attention. Instead, their ads focused on trying to get me to buy something I'd already bought. It's in their best interest to promote the sport.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:46 AM   #15
Low-boots

QUAD SPEED SKATING: "Reports of my death are highly exaggerated."
THANKS to the younger sister of an old quad skating friend of mine, I'm back in racing... but not in good enough shape to go to Nats this year (as much as I would've liked to... if I couldn't be competitive, I wasn't going). I am going next year. I raced from 61 to 75, when I went into the military, got married, had kids, and couldn't afford a loaf of read, let alone skating. I'm sure there's a TON of things that contributed to the decline in quad speed, including all the issues mentioned earlier in this thread. The one thing that sticks out in my mind though, is that the RSROA, SSU, pick a name, never introduced age groups past senior men until retired racers had been long gone. Racers jumped to inlines or switched to coaching. If there wasn't a 55 and up age group now, I wouldn't be coming back. I believe as word gets out, skaters will come back to the sport they once loved and excelled at.
Btw... I made a donation to the webcast and it got kicked back to me.. dunno why.
I'll be in New Mexico next year, because I'm training for it in the months bentween now and then. Because I will be as competitive as I can ever be, I'll be happy with however the races end... I'll be racing in the sport I loved and a child and still love today.
Low-boots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 12:57 AM   #16
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low-boots View Post
QUAD SPEED SKATING: "Reports of my death are highly exaggerated."
THANKS to the younger sister of an old quad skating friend of mine, I'm back in racing... but not in good enough shape to go to Nats this year (as much as I would've liked to... if I couldn't be competitive, I wasn't going). I am going next year. I raced from 61 to 75, when I went into the military, got married, had kids, and couldn't afford a loaf of read, let alone skating. I'm sure there's a TON of things that contributed to the decline in quad speed, including all the issues mentioned earlier in this thread. The one thing that sticks out in my mind though, is that the RSROA, SSU, pick a name, never introduced age groups past senior men until retired racers had been long gone. Racers jumped to inlines or switched to coaching. If there wasn't a 55 and up age group now, I wouldn't be coming back. I believe as word gets out, skaters will come back to the sport they once loved and excelled at.
Btw... I made a donation to the webcast and it got kicked back to me.. dunno why.
I'll be in New Mexico next year, because I'm training for it in the months bentween now and then. Because I will be as competitive as I can ever be, I'll be happy with however the races end... I'll be racing in the sport I loved and a child and still love today.
This was my plan too and is my plan for next year. And if all pans out like like I plan you and I will be competing against each other lol
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:04 AM   #17
JandKLarson

We weren't talking about it here because we were at the event Although only one of us raced on quads. Both of us competed on inlines earlier in the week. At quad Nationals yesterday, it seemed to us that the older age groups (classic, master, veteran and grand veteran) actually seemed to have more numbers this year than last with heats in several divisions, more people in the heats, and a number of relay teams.

@Jenne, just for future reference in the years to come, if there is a thread posted in the main speedskating forum about Indoor Nationals being streamed (which there is/was, there were 2 separate threads actually) the same link will apply to Quad Nationals. However, as someone mentioned above, it may not be streamed in the future due to lower numbers watching and donating to support the live feed. Time will tell in that respect.
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:12 AM   #18
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

But why isn`t it advertised elsewhere other than here? If everyone that raced quads were on here then yeah, that`d be ideal or alright but that isn`t the case. Manufacturers, shops and rinks need to step up to the plate I think.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:34 AM   #19
DiscoStu
中 Red Dragons 中

My experience is that quads (generally speaking) do not get any respect from the younger speed generation. And realistically speaking, why should they even care about quad speed. I have found that only those folks who skated speed before inline revolution are the only ones who really seem to care. This year's quad Nats seems to solidify that theory with all the older divisions actually having heats.

I went to my first speed practice since 1987 last November...that's 25 years between practices. I had both quads and inlines in the bag, but couldn't skate at all on inlines. When I pulled out my quads a guy skating the Elementary division actually laughed and questioned how I silly I was for even thinking I could skate speed with those today. Yet his father sat down and actually talked about my skates and how my setup really took him back to when is skated speed. Hell, even the coach told me unless I could cut a 9 second lap, that I shouldn't even consider the quads. So I decided to put the inlines on and haven't touched my quads since then.

But it does appear that at the Thanksgiving meet this year in Greensboro, NC they are going to give quads a go. Now the question is whether or not skaters will embrace this opportunity or laugh at it.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 02:42 AM   #20
Redbeard
Vinland Rollers

Default What Jenne said...

basically covers most of my gripes.
My lady would have been at Nationals this year on quads, but we couldn't find DEFINITIVE information on very much at all in respect to events, training, specs of the track...nothing.
Sooooo, we are doing our homework this year, and will be blazing in 2013.
But, if ANYONE out there is listening, USARS, for example...how about getting the word out, and updating your site?
Redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote