S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #1
scrapdaddy

Default kangoroo

how can you tell if a boot was made with the infamous kangoroo leather.......
Old November 9th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #2
scubask8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
*Kangaroo
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 03:37 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Hmm,

I used to think I knew but now I'm not so sure... Seems every time I turn around someone else comes up with a new way to tell..

Unfortunately there is no real way to tell that I know of..

Here are some facts.

Importation of Kangaroo hide was banned in 1974... I have no idea how much was available on shore at that time.

I have a 1976 Riedell Ad that shows what appears to be a 285 speed boot with no mention of what they are made of...

In 1979 ALL the high end Riedells were listed as Kango Tan..

Now, that presents a problem..okie had recently stated a early redline 395 was all kangaroo, however, there were no front flap 395s in 1979... The 395 was styled like a European track skate boot.. and the flap came later..

There is some mention of the ban being lifted briefly in the 80s..but I cannot find any details..

Based on what I have found out from checking history, I'm beginning to doubt any of the good Riedell (or Oberhamer, or 8 Wheels) speed boots were ever made with kangaroo leather..

I'd love for someone to show me documented evidence to the contrary....
Old November 9th, 2011, 04:13 PM   #4
scrapdaddy

Default thank you

i have a 695 that the interior leather that im used to seeing in a creme or tan or brown color, in this boot it is black, and i can tell at some point the boot was dyed white, originally black, and is mostly black once again, but the interior shows no sign of dye, but it is a blackish toned leather, i have seen leather like this before, and know it to be from animals other than cows, but this boot has me stumped, and at that, the leather is incredibly soft, like no other boot i have held........
Old November 10th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #5
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Default Tommy told me

I had these made about 10 years ago but never put them to use Tom told me there Kanga .I have a used Pair that also have Croc around the rim(Yellow bit)
Leather just looks like a much finer grain
Old November 10th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Poobah

I recall reading somewhere that the kangaroo leather boots had twelve eyelets rather than ten or eleven. Though I really can't say that I know that to be true. I have taken to counting eyelets on all the boots claimed to be kangaroo leather on eBay.
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #7
Grandpa
Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdaddy View Post
I was around back in the days of Kangaroo boots and the 295's had a stitchless sole in those days. If there is stitching on the sole, then it's a pretty safe bet that they're not kangaroo leather.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:05 PM   #8
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
I was around back in the days of Kangaroo boots and the 295's had a stitchless sole in those days. If there is stitching on the sole, then it's a pretty safe bet that they're not kangaroo leather.
As we have all been told or heard.. Can anyone show me something in print that says the boots were Kangaroo...
Old December 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM   #9
Grandpa
Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
As we have all been told or heard.. Can anyone show me something in print that says the boots were Kangaroo...
The only thing that I know with absolute certainty, and this is coming from Riedell, is that the kangaroo leather was used up until the early 80's. According to Riedell, anything in the 295 model that pre-dates the period when they started using the 'Kango-Tan" moniker in the early 80's is kangaroo. They did not specify a date when that change took place.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #10
Nathan_

Has anyone bothered to call Riegelman and ask him directly ?
Old December 8th, 2011, 06:13 AM   #11
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan_ View Post
Has anyone bothered to call Riegelman and ask him directly ?
Folks, I think we are missing the point here.. While myths and legends are fine for around the campfire..oh wait...., I meant snack bar, I want to see it in print... I have been lead down the primrose path too many times believing what some old head has stated as fact..

This is not a slam on anyone here.. I have known folks that are certain of one "fact" or another only to find out there is contradictory evidence in print.. I follow a maxim for an old Sinbad movie..."Trust in Allah, but tie up your camel." Or to coin another phrase "Show me the money"...

As it stands, I cannot validate any Riedell speed boot was built in Kangaroo leather.

BTW: Asking someone that advertises the R3 "Derby" sk8 as "No better way to get started in derby" is not someone I would necessarily have complete confidence in..