S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old March 30th, 2018, 04:56 PM   #1
kufman

Default Chicago 2018?

I don't see a date on their webpage. Is this event dead?
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2018, 07:56 PM   #2
Jim

I don't remember them having a date at this time last year either, so probably not dead, just slow.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2018, 07:53 PM   #3
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

I heard at the Team Rainbo meeting that the event will be going forward but AT&T has been sold, so they may be looking for a new venue. This would explain the lack of a date at this point. While it has seen dwindling numbers, I don't know that this race is dead yet.
Old April 9th, 2018, 05:28 AM   #4
gopherfan

The course was the biggest problem in my opinion so this could end up being beneficial.
gopherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2018, 05:46 PM   #5
gopherfan

Registration is open. The website has the same course as last year. July 22.
Old July 13th, 2018, 04:56 AM   #6
ese002

Default Shower availability after ChicagoLand?

I'm flying back that evening and checkout time is before the awards so I won't be able to go back to the hotel after the race. I know there are showers at the airport but my flight isn't until 8pm. Given the expected heat and humidity I kind of think a post-race shower is recommended.

What options are available?
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2018, 03:33 PM   #7
bjvircks
Major Trouble

hey ese002.... my regrets that I'm not planning on doing Chicago this year. would be good to say Hi.

The race site has lots of somewhat remote areas you might consider for cleaning up afterwards. Actually, I don't think anyone would have a problem if you cleaned up right out in any of the parking lots or inside one of the covered parking ramps. Buy a jug or two of water on the way to Hoffman Estates. Just keep a pair of athletic shorts on and I think no one would care at all. Yeah, its not a nice shower, but better than nothing.... and I'm sure your seatmate on the flight back would appreciate it!
Old July 16th, 2018, 06:37 PM   #8
ese002

A couple of minor logistics questions:

1) Does anyone have an accurate reading for the lap distance, ideally from a Garmin Forerunner 920? I'd like to punch that number into my Garmin for autolap purposes.

Unfortunately, just dividing 26.2 by 6 probably isn't good enough. Many races aren't exactly 26.2 miles and when they are, it is frequently accomplished by adjusting the start location independently of the end location. It would be a non-issue if we still had autolap-by-position but in their infinite wisdom, Garmin decided this wasn't an important feature and declined to implement it for the last two or three generations.

2) Also, is there no packet pickup prior to race day? Race day is the only schedule shown on the website. Further, the map shows an expo but there is no other mention of an expo.

Last edited by ese002; July 17th, 2018 at 06:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 17th, 2018, 02:06 AM   #9
gopherfan

Though I'm not attending, I previously concluded from the website that the expo has been eliminated.
Old July 17th, 2018, 05:30 PM   #10
bjvircks
Major Trouble

It is a 2 day "wellness expo" thing... run/walk on Sat, skating on Sun.

Since the numbers of participants and spectators for running/walking on Saturday are far greater apparently that is when the "expo" happens. Seems that the skate has such small numbers that most exhibitors don't bother showing up.

for the 2017 course I came up with 26.24 miles. of course, your mileage may vary

edit... as best I recall it is a 'single wire' system and so it would seem to me that the start/finish/lap are not offset.

Last edited by bjvircks; July 19th, 2018 at 11:09 PM.
bjvircks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2018, 10:23 PM   #11
gopherfan

Results. Only 11 elite skaters? 33 rec marathon. 72 half. 13 one lap skaters. Ouch.
Old July 23rd, 2018, 02:07 PM   #12
bjvircks
Major Trouble

no kidding, OUCH!

so ese002.... what did you think of the race?
Old July 23rd, 2018, 08:58 PM   #13
SkateMO

Can't say I'm too surprised since the numbers have been dropping year after year (at Chicago), or so it seems, and the course has been going downhill. The course was always somewhat challenging in terms of conditions, but I think it's only gotten sketchier in the last year or so. Although, I did hear some skaters comment that the course last year was good.

On a different note, I'm interested to see what the turnout is at NSIM. The reason I say that is because this is a weird year with the World Championships having already taken place. Usually, Worlds is around NSIM, either slightly before or after. So, with IDN over, ODN over, Worlds over, I could see NSIM going one of two ways. Either there will be a ton of elite skaters there who are well trained because they focused a lot more attention and effort on NSIM, since there wasn't much else on the calendar. Or, I could see some of the elite skaters hanging up their skates and taking the rest of summer / early fall off.

With that being said, my prediction is we're about to see a huge number of inline skaters cross over to ice this fall or next. I think a lot of the girls, such as Erin Jackson and others, really took the spotlight last year, as far as catching the attention of some of the younger skaters. I think that crowd saw how quickly she was able to transition over, and my guess is that there will be at least 10 elite male inline skaters (18 to 24), who have had very little time on the ice, that will be gunning for the Olympics in 2022. So, it will be interesting to see how that group balances the ice season with races like NSIM in the future.

On the bright side, I think the lines between ice and inline will be much more "blurred" in the future because I think even the ice crowd is recognizing that inline training is important. So, if anything, we should get a few more elites from the ice world. But, my concern is that those skaters won't actually compete on inlines, but rather, use inline as a way to train during the summer months.

It's hard to deny that our sport is struggling to grow. We are losing more people than we are gaining...but, that's just my perception. I don't have any data to back that up. I still skate a lot, but I haven't competed in a couple years, just because my life has changed and I use skating to stay in shape versus as a means of fulfilling goals. To be honest, it's easier to fulfill my personal goals in other sports such as cycling, only because those sports are more accessible on the local level...who really wants to travel all over to race. Not only does that get old, but it gets expensive and challenging for a family to maintain. Skating is a great sport...but the racing component is tricky for a lot of different reasons, I think.
SkateMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2018, 03:52 AM   #14
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Results. Only 11 elite skaters? 33 rec marathon. 72 half. 13 one lap skaters. Ouch.
No. Only 9 elite skaters. Two advanced, including me.
Old July 24th, 2018, 03:56 AM   #15
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
I
for the 2017 course I came up with 26.24 miles. of course, your mileage may vary
For what it's worth, the laps turned out to be right at 4.4 miles and the full distance came in at 26.45 miles.

Last edited by ese002; July 24th, 2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 24th, 2018, 04:12 AM   #16
ese002

Quote:
no kidding, OUCH!

so ese002.... what did you think of the race?
The course is not as bad as it looks but it looks really bad. It probably took five or six laps, including the pre-race survey to figure what line to take on the danger points. The rain made things worse but it would still be tricky when dry. I didn't crash but I also skated the whole race solo. I don't know how many laps it would take many to feel comfortable taking them in a real pace line where I couldn't see everything that was coming up or choose my line. Even solo, my pace was limited more by caution than power or endurance.

Chicagoland has the advantage of being part of a larger, well-funded event. If it had to stand alone, I have a hard time believing the race would happen again.

Last edited by ese002; July 24th, 2018 at 05:20 PM. Reason: missing word
Old July 30th, 2018, 01:47 PM   #17
bjvircks
Major Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
For what it's worth, the laps turned out to be right at 4.4 miles and the full distance came in at 26.45 miles.
so... was this year's race a single wire (start/finish at same spot)? I wonder how you ended up with .21 miles (1109 feet) more than I did last year. I wonder if other folks got similar results.

I counted the number of turns and figured that if the extra 1109 feet were evenly distributed between all... you might have traveled an extra 8' 5" every turn. Did wet conditions result in cautious cornering?

Last edited by bjvircks; July 30th, 2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: add course map
bjvircks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2018, 11:57 PM   #18
ese002

Quote:
so... was this year's race a single wire (start/finish at same spot)? I wonder how you ended up with .21 miles (1109 feet) more than I did last year. I wonder if other folks got similar results.

I counted the number of turns and figured that if the extra 1109 feet were evenly distributed between all... you might have traveled an extra 8' 5" every turn. Did wet conditions result in cautious cornering?

I'm sure there was some of that but most turns were sketchy enough (semi-broken cement ledges, tar ridges, etc) to need cautious cornering anyway.

Was last year the same direction? We were on the left side of the street most of the time.

One thing I noticed is that the exit from the parking lot was moved North from the paint that was present the day before. Straight-> left -> right -> exit -> left instead of Straight -> exit -> left. It adds two turns.

Different devices and my pokey pace could also factor. (GPS will usually record a longer distance if you go slower)

Start and stop were in the same place.