S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old December 16th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #1
Dr. McCrackin

Default Snyder Royal Questions

Hello Doc,
After four years in roller derby as referee, and now being to play a little I'm interested in going top shelf with my plates and have settle on Royals. My questions: how interchangeable are the components in the Snyder line? I'm curious about the click action adjustment of the Advantage, but after researching I've come up with conflicting info as to whether you can modify a Royal plate with the click action. Is it possible? Also, I was wondering if you could post a Advantage parts diagram, or direct me somewhere I can download one.
Thanks, and I've read through a many of your posts, and have learned a ton of great info!
Dr. McCrackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McCrackin View Post
Hello Doc,
After four years in roller derby as referee, and now being to play a little I'm interested in going top shelf with my plates and have settle on Royals.

Interesting choice. What boot are you planning on??

My questions: how interchangeable are the components in the Snyder line?

Very.. I do it all the time...

I'm curious about the click action adjustment of the Advantage, but after researching I've come up with conflicting info as to whether you can modify a Royal plate with the click action. Is it possible?

Unless special ordered, the Advantage does not have a click action. Let's get this straight. A big hex nut with numbers is more often than not a micrometer adjustment, not a click adjustment.

My Advantage with the Snyder aluminum micrometer nut.

Snyder makes a click action but it is not something you see very often. I have seen dozens of Advantages but never one with a click action and I know Snyder does not advertise that option.

Can a true click action be put on a Royal?? Certainly. I have done a grand total of one since the Royal was re-released and that was because I had the parts lying around.

Correct me if I am wrong, is this the Royal version you are thinking of??

Also, I was wondering if you could post a Advantage parts diagram, or direct me somewhere I can download one.

I am not aware of one. Be advised there were 2 different versions of the Advantage. Only the later one could be easily converted to the click action.

This is as close as I have ever seen. It is a World Dominator, which is first attempt to bering the Super Deluxe up to more modern standards The advantage was the next step.

Thanks, and I've read through a many of your posts, and have learned a ton of great info!
Now back to the question about the Royal. The titanium king pin I used to make the uber lite Royal in the pic above is no longer available from Snyder. That kind of precludes using the big adjuster and grub screw without going to the steek figure / click action king pin.

Hope this does not add to the confusion.
Old December 17th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #3
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

wes makes some ti pins for royals. some of us have several sets of spares in a drawer (kennedy and I ).
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2014, 11:20 PM   #4
Dr. McCrackin

Default Snyder reply

Hey brother thanks for the fast reply and ignoring all the typos (I was on my phone). Right now I have Riedell Blue Streaks, that I'm very pleased with, I have difficult feet!
Up until this Saturday I had mounted the Bont Infinity plate, until it snapped a kingpin while refereeing a bout. Kennedy (Steve) had fun analyzing the break! I really liked the action on the Infinity none the less, and have read and been told many times that the Infinity action is appropriated from Snyder. I also remember bask in the 70s and early 80s seeing Snyder plates (I'm 44). So a bit of nostalgia and and research has lead me to Snyder Royals.
So, Doc are you trying to sell me those shiny, Snyder plates? It would depend on thee axle distance of course!
Dr. McCrackin (Alston Hall) Ohio Valley Roller Girls
Dr. McCrackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2014, 04:00 AM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McCrackin View Post
Hey brother thanks for the fast reply and ignoring all the typos (I was on my phone). Right now I have Riedell Blue Streaks, that I'm very pleased with, I have difficult feet!

Very nice. Happy feet are the most important ingredient in a happy sk8r.

Up until this Saturday I had mounted the Bont Infinity plate, until it snapped a kingpin while refereeing a bout. Kennedy (Steve) had fun analyzing the break! I really liked the action on the Infinity none the less, and have read and been told many times that the Infinity action is appropriated from Snyder.

Yeah, there are rumors to that effect.

I also remember bask in the 70s and early 80s seeing Snyder plates (I'm 44). So a bit of nostalgia and and research has lead me to Snyder Royals.

Yeah I had a blast convincing Snyder to bring those back into production.

So, Doc are you trying to sell me those shiny, Snyder plates? It would depend on thee axle distance of course!

I can sell you any size shiny Snyder Royal you want. But so can Frank Necrosis. He is much closer to you than I am, and between him and Elemental, they have the necessary Ti king pins I am out of..

Of course, we can also fix the Infinity. The Snyder king pins screw right in.

Dr. McCrackin (Alston Hall) Ohio Valley Roller Girls
Here is a thought. Make the trip to Mars and check out all the possibilities (there are many ways to skin this cat) then figure out what you really want to do.