S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum > Outdoor Quads
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Outdoor Quads Discussions about outdoor quad skates and any discussion relatd to skating on quad roller skatse outdoors.

Old July 31st, 2012, 08:19 PM   #121
1888bc
Aussie Italia

Default 72mm Super Mundo's...

measure out to 72mm x 36mm x 78a

Last edited by 1888bc; December 19th, 2012 at 11:22 PM.
1888bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2013, 10:59 AM   #122
Formerly Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotsk8s View Post
I had some Variflex outdoor wheels in the early `80`s that were awesome.
Now all I have are Hyper Rollo`s, Sure Grip Aerobics and some cheapos`s off ebay that are smooth as glass.
Had the same wheels back in the 80's to, best wheels I ever used indoors and outdoors. Would love another set
Formerly Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:44 PM   #123
gregor.b
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
These Variflex wheels?

65 mm diameter, ca. 85A.
I remember I had a set of these in yellow and a set in green. Also, the La Beda Bad Boyz. Then of course, the Hyper Strada of varying colours. And Dims, I think they were called. Still got heaps of them.

Faves were the bad boys followed by the Dims.
gregor.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:07 AM   #124
CARTchamp

Tom Peterson Hyper Strada's
Old July 6th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #125
Armadillo

Default 76mm Zombie Hawgs at Ebay today for $72/set of (8)

I finally had to pull the trigger on a set of my own 76mm Zombie Hawg wheels in the 84A turquoise color since at $36 per set of four, this was just too good to pass on.

Once I have narrowed them on the lathe, they will be my primary wheels for my latest outdoor heavy duty "Metro skate - Urban Warrior" build pictured below with the failed experiment flattened inline wheel setup.

Will post before anf after machining PICs.

These are the "Mini Hawgs" at only 70mm:

-Armadillo
Old February 20th, 2015, 09:19 PM   #126
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Bump.
Has anyone seen or tried these new wheels by Radar. They're called Flyers. 66mm 78a. OMG they look amazing
Old February 21st, 2015, 02:59 AM   #127
Armadillo

What is the hub diameter of these Radar wheels? weight?

If your plates can handle these, you will have a hard time finding a better performing set of outdoor wheels than the Zombie Hawg 76mm 84A orange with ~44mm hubs and narrowed to ~30mm width on the lathe.
These are now my fav outdoor wheels:

Nike Zoom Air BB shoes with glued on Dragonplate sole C_F laminate sole stiffeners as well as 100% glued-on Nova plate; suspension upgraded to Chicago Panther trucks with 100% threaded "7mm" Titanium axles and 100% internally threaded (9/32-32) chrome moly steel 8mm OD axle size adapter sleeves allowing for use of Acer Racing 608 SiN ball bearings ($79 per set of 16);
double barrel Nova translucent blue cushions with lower barrels undersized to ~.900" (23mm).
Near DA45 ease of sharp turning with a steeper and more stable kingpin angle.

-Armadillo
Old February 22nd, 2015, 03:29 AM   #128
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

I have no idea of the hub size or weight. They remind me of Heliums (shape), but with more urethane to bring them up to 66mm.

I've been using a combination of RD 70mm Twisters on the backs, Route 65's on the fronts. I can't fit 70's on my fronts, and the RD Twister 65mm's got chewed up quickly on some of our wonderful NYC streets.

Hey Dillo, a question. Those 76mm wheels... How is the control at high speed? Are they harder to control than smaller wheels? I had a pair of womens RD Aerial skates (where I got the twisters from), removed the composite plates and grinded them flat to mount on my next pair of high-tops. I can definitely fit 76's on them, but worry about safety.

Speaking of safety, I'm still recovering from broken ribs (2), from slipping on ice about a month ago. Boy does it suck not being able to skate!
Old February 22nd, 2015, 08:30 PM   #129
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyeddie View Post
I have no idea of the hub size or weight. They remind me of Heliums (shape), but with more urethane to bring them up to 66mm.

I've been using a combination of RD 70mm Twisters on the backs, Route 65's on the fronts. I can't fit 70's on my fronts, and the RD Twister 65mm's got chewed up quickly on some of our wonderful NYC streets.

Hey Dillo, a question. Those 76mm wheels... How is the control at high speed? Are they harder to control than smaller wheels? I had a pair of womens RD Aerial skates (where I got the twisters from), removed the composite plates and grinded them flat to mount on my next pair of high-tops. I can definitely fit 76's on them, but worry about safety.

Speaking of safety, I'm still recovering from broken ribs (2), from slipping on ice about a month ago. Boy does it suck not being able to skate!
The lathe-narrowed Z-Hawgs are very stable and easily controlled at high speeds, at least for me and all the other people I have made them for.
I suspect that the particular plate on which they are mounted dictates more about high speed control than the wheels themselves will. I advise steeper kingpin angle plates for outdoor skating.

Only negative on them I have is that, like your ice caused slip & fall, they slip laterally during the push, if there is any significant amount of water on the rolling surface.

-Armadillo

Last edited by Armadillo; February 24th, 2015 at 06:53 AM.
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2015, 09:57 AM   #130
Krew76
Banned

Airwaves or original Sims streetsnake
Krew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #131
Armadillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadyeddie View Post
... I had a pair of womens RD Aerial skates (where I got the twisters from), removed the composite plates and grinded them flat to mount on my next pair of high-tops. I can definitely fit 76's on them, but worry about safety.

I have owned many of the RD Aerial skates, purchased only for their wheels, but did skate one pair long enough to know that heir suspensions are crappy and their internally threaded axle tip scheme, which relies on nylon coated bolts to hold the wheels on, is dubious at best, and a definite safety threat.

Have you ever lost a front wheel on the push foot while rolling at decent speed? Say hello to a face plant and perhaps a few more broken ribs when that happens. In my case it was only rib cage muscle tear and ligament damage, but the few sneezes I endured as things healed felt exactly like a sword going right though my body.

-Armadillo
Old February 24th, 2015, 12:40 PM   #132
jbgerman

I tried several wheels, but for recreational outdoor skating I still rely on vintage Kryptonics Impulse wheels, 58 mm diameter, 78A.

Most important criteria: The polyurethane has very high rebound. And I can skate with the small wheels very agile. For rougher surfaces I sometimes use the Sure-Grip Motion 62mm. In my opinion underrated outdoor wheels, with also higher rebound, than most other currently available alternatives.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 03:34 AM   #133
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
I have owned many of the RD Aerial skates, purchased only for their wheels, but did skate one pair long enough to know that heir suspensions are crappy and their internally threaded axle tip scheme, which relies on nylon coated bolts to hold the wheels on, is dubious at best, and a definite safety threat.

Have you ever lost a front wheel on the push foot while rolling at decent speed? Say hello to a face plant and perhaps a few more broken ribs when that happens. In my case it was only rib cage muscle tear and ligament damage, but the few sneezes I endured as things healed felt exactly like a sword going right though my body.

-Armadillo
Thanks for the tip. I thought those bolts looked suspect. I have some old Marathon trucks that may fit, but after reading your thoughts on their suspensions, I may be back to the drawing board.

I never lost a wheel at full speed, but I did implode a wheel doing a jump. I was going backwards and did a simple 1/2 revolution, and the front pivot wheel imploded. Didn't get hurt, just embarrassed. Embarrassed, because at first I didn't realize that the wheel imploded, so as I got up to skate away, I fell again.

Oh, and the sneezes... More painful than the actual break. At least I'm at the point where I can sleep laying down and not sitting up in a chair.
Old February 28th, 2015, 12:29 PM   #134
steadyeddie
Ed Stednowski

Imploding wheel.

Old March 11th, 2015, 11:04 PM   #135
Bunny_Hop

I currently skate on super-cheap wheels that come with these cheap art/outdoor/recreational skates called Starfires (I don't have those skates, but there is a place in Australia that sells the wheels). I bought them initially because I'd just spent over $400 on skates and wanted to try outdoor skating without another huge cost outlay. They are surprisingly quite good (I mean, they're the only thing I've skated outdoors but I certainly don't find it difficult to skate in them) and I've bought another set. They are 58mm "high-rebound polyurethane", no specified hardness, about 35mm wide I think.

I use them for path skating and practicing art outdoors, as they are similar dimensions to my indoor art wheels. When I have the money I'd love to upgrade to Atom Pulses for cycle path skating, as some of the paths are quite bumpy in the Starfires, but they would probably be too wide for any art practice. And I wouldn't want to change my wheels that much - I have a phobia that it'd damage the axles somehow - yeah, I think I am getting to the limit of what's realistic in one skate. :/

I'd love to get another pair of skates the same as my current ones (Variant M + Edea boot, for the heel plus their sizing works for me which is rare), and have them with Atom Pulse wheels in the mixed colours, just for cycle path skating. The more "realistic" version of this is I am keeping my eye out for anyone selling off old Starfires as the plates aren't bad apparently (it is a $120-ish skate but the plates are metal!!), then sticking those plates onto a better boot, probably a low-end Edea, and eventually Atom Pulse wheels. Working my way up to the dream haha.
Old March 12th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #136
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Has anyone skated the hyper strada hellboys? I was thinking about trying a set.
Old March 16th, 2015, 01:39 AM   #137
pvasques
PVasques

Default Some respect for TOM!!!!

NUMBER ONE - Hyper Strada Tom Petersons
NUMBER TWO - Krypto Classic K - 76mm 78A

Hands down

The rest impossible to find!

Try Hellium or the Zombies.... nice canadian made wheels!

Cheers
pvasques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #138
oldspeedskater67
"Old school style"

Has anyone skated these. They are cheap, but they look so much like the old velocity race wheels. I was thinking about trying a set.

http://www.rollerskatenation.com/hea...B#.VQhy6Ef3arU
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #139
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldspeedskater67 View Post
Has anyone skated these. They are cheap, but they look so much like the old velocity race wheels. I was thinking about trying a set.

http://www.rollerskatenation.com/hea...B#.VQhy6Ef3arU
No, but at that price, it is certainly worth a try. Thank you for the link!
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:45 PM   #140
HoneyBeeoftheValley
Return beginner

Keep us posted if you try them out. A good, cheap outdoor wheel would be nice to know about.
HoneyBeeoftheValley is offline   Reply With Quote