S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old December 16th, 2017, 01:21 PM   #1
BPTS
I made your Mom blush....

Default Aluminum Avenger truck adjustment

G ' morning Doc-
Seeking some of your wisedom.
If you recall I have been skating 265's with XK-4 S/A plates, Halo wheels.
I'm getting my legs back under me quite well and it's starting to come back
I did discover that my foot is no longer 18 years old, especially after breaking my left foot twice within 6 months (ice hockey, defenseman, blocking shots)
The 265's were killing my feet from the arch forward regardless of lacing, sizing was good.

Xmas bonus came in and I pulled the trigger on a pair of Solaris boots paired up with aluminum Avengers. I will be rolling either white Shamans or narrow Varsity +.

Totally ignorant on D/A tuning. What are some good starting points for tuning the trucks?
Of particular interest is pivot ball adjustment, I am not sure how to adjust it for the correct action, especially the way I am sure I will be adjusting the kingpins.

Current S/A setup is stock cushions, trucks are pretty loose for snappy, quick agility.
Session skater, no real speed skating (all inlines in my area).

Thanks in advance.
Old December 17th, 2017, 10:22 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTS View Post
G ' morning Doc-
Seeking some of your wisedom.
If you recall I have been skating 265's with XK-4 S/A plates, Halo wheels.
I'm getting my legs back under me quite well and it's starting to come back
I did discover that my foot is no longer 18 years old, especially after breaking my left foot twice within 6 months (ice hockey, defenseman, blocking shots)
The 265's were killing my feet from the arch forward regardless of lacing, sizing was good.

Xmas bonus came in and I pulled the trigger on a pair of Solaris boots paired up with aluminum Avengers. I will be rolling either white Shamans or narrow Varsity +.

Those wheels are 2 different critters.. Switching between wide and narrow can be a real "experience"..

Totally ignorant on D/A tuning. What are some good starting points for tuning the trucks?

Most folks I put on the purple cushions and adjust the trucks to zero lash, or just tight enough that you can still turn the retainers w/ your fingers but no rattle.

Of particular interest is pivot ball adjustment, I am not sure how to adjust it for the correct action, especially the way I am sure I will be adjusting the kingpins.

This has been covered many time in the forum. Use the search feature and you should score. The fundamental is when you have finally gotten the action where you want it, adjust the pivot ball until it just touches the bottom of the cup.

Current S/A setup is stock cushions, trucks are pretty loose for snappy, quick agility.
Session skater, no real speed skating (all inlines in my area).

Thanks in advance.
You will be in for quite a shock. The DA45 will let you make suspension adjustments by mixing and matching cushions that are impossible on a single action, even when you can scare up some of the "good" (urethane) old cushions.