S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old January 13th, 2019, 02:24 AM   #1
fierocious1

Default Terminology

Doc, is there any specific truck terminology? Correct use of specific terms or descriptions that the manufacturers use that we do not?
Old January 25th, 2019, 10:11 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default I cannot say for certain.

The biggest confusion seems to come from a divergence between the quad vs skateboard world. Want to have some fun?? Hunt back through the old patents.
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:15 PM   #3
nickajshelden
Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
The biggest confusion seems to come from a divergence between the quad vs skateboard world. Want to have some fun?? Hunt back through the old patents.
That brings up an interesting topic. It might be more appropriate to post on the OT forum, but...could we take a moment to compare/contrast the tech/terms of quads vs skateboards? A very brief lookup on google did not deliver concise results.
Old March 6th, 2019, 12:21 AM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Quad vs Sk8board

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickajshelden View Post
That brings up an interesting topic. It might be more appropriate to post on the OT forum, but...could we take a moment to compare/contrast the tech/terms of quads vs skateboards? A very brief lookup on google did not deliver concise results.

I have found the best place to get reliable quad terminology is from the old Snyder manual. That is what I go by. You would think that using the terminology developed by one the grandfathers of the American quad sk8 would be sufficient.

I keep running across folks calling trucks hangers. They are not. Now most modern quad plates do not have hangers, but they all have trucks. Past that there is not much else in common.

Skateboards have decks, quads have plates. Even the BMW StreetCarver had want appeared to be hangers. Any quad that has hangers riveted (or otherwise attached to the plate) is pretty much the same critter as the a skateboard. Monocoque plates like the Labeda Pro Line do not have hangers, but all of this stuff has trucks.

Past that the terminology is not of real importance in my book. Suspension cushions / bushings / rubbers and king pins vs king bolts?? What ever.

Feel free to pitch back in.
Old March 6th, 2019, 12:12 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

These are patents from the early 50's for skate Hangers.
Google "roller skate hanger",
https://www.google.com/search?q=roll...obile&ie=UTF-8
I'm rather sure skate hangers are settled science.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2494019

Description

Jan. 10, 1950 R. R. WARE, JR 2,494,019

ROLLER SKATE RESILIENT HANGER STRUCTURE Filed Jan. 5, 1945 a @g INVEN TOR.

jwewz z zmm J7? m wwmt/ Patented Jan. 10, 1950 5:.

U M TED TATES PATENT OF F l CE 2,494;019 I Ron-me SKATE RESI LI ENT HANGER STRUCTURE I I Robert R. Ware, Jr.,'-0hicago, Ill., assign'or-to Chi- -cag0 Roller Skate Company, Chicago, -Ill., -a

corporation of Arizona Application-January 5, 1945, Serial No. 571,391

5 Claims. (c1. 280-11.19)

The present invention relates to a roller skate, and more particularly to a resilient hanger structure therefor.
Old March 8th, 2019, 05:30 AM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
These are patents from the early 50's for skate Hangers.
Google "roller skate hanger",
https://www.google.com/search?q=roll...obile&ie=UTF-8
I'm rather sure skate hangers are settled science.

1)Settled science is an oxymoron. One of the modern era's preeminent practitioners of physics and cosmology said not to long ago (saw him on TV saying it) "I would rather have a question I cannot answer than an answer I cannot question." Answers one cannot question qualify as religion, not science.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US2494019

Description

Jan. 10, 1950 R. R. WARE, JR 2,494,019

ROLLER SKATE RESILIENT HANGER STRUCTURE Filed Jan. 5, 1945 a @g INVEN TOR.

jwewz z zmm J7? m wwmt/ Patented Jan. 10, 1950 5:.

U M TED TATES PATENT OF F l CE 2,494;019 I Ron-me SKATE RESI LI ENT HANGER STRUCTURE I I Robert R. Ware, Jr.,'-0hicago, Ill., assign'or-to Chi- -cag0 Roller Skate Company, Chicago, -Ill., -a

corporation of Arizona Application-January 5, 1945, Serial No. 571,391

5 Claims. (c1. 280-11.19)

The present invention relates to a roller skate, and more particularly to a resilient hanger structure therefor.

2) https://patents.google.com/patent/US2510722 Snyder says truck. & I quote from said patent:
Quote:
a. A roller skate comprising a foot plate, a hanger secured to said foot plate adjacent the respective ends thereof and each having adjacent its inner end a downwardly extending screw threaded socket member, a truck beneath each end of said foot plate, each truck including a frame having a transverse axle receiving member and an arm extending inwardly from said axle receiving member, said arm having an opening therethrough, a headed bolt extending through the opening in said arm-and having a threaded upper end adjustably mounted in the socket member of the corresponding hanger, a nut on said threaded end of said bolt,
So you have presented us with a patent from a dead company. All that is left of the original Chicago brand is the name and the last time I looked, an abandoned building. The one I present is from a company that is still building sk8s and still builds the model shown in the patent.

Merbler's patent 4596396 lists #s 31 & 32 as "wheel trucks".

Poe's Sunlite patent 4345774 shows all 3 versions of the original Sunlite trucks on figures 14, 15 and 16 all referred to as trucks @ the top of the 4th column of the patent text in the original format.

Now, for a loop, Brandner's Laser patent calls the aluminum Chicago SA trucks he originally used.... let me quote the patent again...
Quote:
Each of the notches 22 and 24 has an axle anchor of known construction there being a rear anchor 30 and a front anchor 32. These anchors are of unitary construction and are cast of aluminum or steel and each includes a spur at 34 having a ball 36....
To be honest, Chicago's original 1919 patent calls them hangers as well... So let's look @ Dan Miller's patent 8550473 for the Arius. #158 is called a "truck support" as he calls the entire plate a truck.

I have excellent references to back up my use of my preferred nomenclature. I have also shown some examples of other nomenclatures being used. This is why I suggested "Hunt back through the old patents". I have been doing it for decades and have ~ 100 downloaded on my hard drive. I submit this is far from being "settled science" as you put it.