S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old June 18th, 2016, 08:20 PM   #41
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Correct.

9/32 x 32.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:18 PM   #42
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

How about the old-school loose-ball axle threads? Are these also a 9/32-32? I ask, because I have installed some longboard wheels on my Snyder Advantage plates for outdoor skating. The bearing spacing on the longboard wheels is wider, so there is less axle protruding through the wheels.

As a result, I cannot do the standard, which is tighten the nylock nuts down until just loose to allow for free-rolling of the wheels. I had to install bearing spacers, flip over the nylock nuts, and tighten them down to the bearings to allow for free-rolling. But, I do not think that any of the aluminum threads are threading onto the axles, so I am a bit nervous.

I was intending on trying to use the loose-ball lucking nuts to tighten down to the bearings.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:27 PM   #43
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
How about the old-school loose-ball axle threads? Are these also a 9/32-32?

They are... but they are not exactly the same diameter. The loose ball axles are slightly larger in diameter, standard 7mm bearings will not fit on the axles.

I ask, because I have installed some longboard wheels on my Snyder Advantage plates for outdoor skating. The bearing spacing on the longboard wheels is wider, so there is less axle protruding through the wheels.

Uh huh, about 0.10" to be in the ball park.

As a result, I cannot do the standard, which is tighten the nylock nuts down until just loose to allow for free-rolling of the wheels.

Let's pause here for a second. What you described as "standard" is not optimum. Radial bearings are not designed to be run that way. They are designed to be run with the balls in the center of the race. Tightening them to the point you describe pulls the balls from the center of the races and holds them on the sides of the grooves. Not ideal to say the least.

I had to install bearing spacers, flip over the nylock nuts, and tighten them down to the bearings to allow for free-rolling. But, I do not think that any of the aluminum threads are threading onto the axles, so I am a bit nervous.

I was intending on trying to use the loose-ball lucking nuts to tighten down to the bearings.
Wish you had told me you were going to do this. I would have put longer axles in the trucks.
Old June 23rd, 2016, 05:31 PM   #44
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Wish you had told me you were going to do this. I would have put longer axles in the trucks.
I actually wanted to use my older skates for outdoors. I ended up getting wheel bite on the 70mm wheels anyway, so the new skates are going back to indoor duty. No worries.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote