S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old September 15th, 2016, 01:27 AM   #1
gearhead

Default Sure_Grip Classic

Hey Doc,

I recently got back into skating about two months ago. It's been over 30 years and have a some questions. I just bought a pair of Sure-Grip Classic plates (what are your thoughts on these plates?) and was offered the option of other cushions. Black (standard) Blue (72) Yellow (79) Purple (85) Red (93). No durometer rating was given for Black and not being sure if Black was the hardest or softest, I went with Black. I have read later after buying them that you pitch most if not all Black cushions that come your way lol. Where do the Black cushions fall on the durometer or quality scale? For someone my size 6'1 250 lbs would you recommend a harder cushion? I was hoping to get away with some that are a bit softer so i don't feel the dips valleys as much in my local rink.

After your durometer recommendation can you point me in the right direction for the proper cushion upgrade for the classic plate? Many I have found say NOT for the classic. I am going to be changing to the reverse kingpin upgrade when I upgrade the cushions.

Thank You
David
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2016, 04:31 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I recently got back into skating about two months ago. It's been over 30 years and have a some questions. I just bought a pair of Sure-Grip Classic plates (what are your thoughts on these plates?)

That is the kind of question you should ask before putting your money down.. I'm not a big fan. You will find out why momentarily.

and was offered the option of other cushions. Black (standard)

There are 3 different standard rubber cushions. Soft w/ a pink or red stripe, medium w/ a white stripe and firm with a yellow stripe if memory serves.

Blue (72) Yellow (79) Purple (85) Red (93).

Those sound like the SG Super urethane cushions. They are not a good fit on the Classic. The OD is too small..

No durometer rating was given for Black and not being sure if Black was the hardest or softest, I went with Black.

Look for the stripe... That will give you a hint.

I have read later after buying them that you pitch most if not all Black cushions that come your way lol.

I don't like rubber cushions. Some folks do, but not me. It's a personal preference thing.

Where do the Black cushions fall on the durometer

The durometer numbers are not comparable between rubber and urethane. They behave differently. Again look for your stripe.

or quality scale?

Two different critters. The Classic cushions are fine for rubber, but rubber has a shorter life expectancy than urethane.

For someone my size 6'1 250 lbs would you recommend a harder cushion?

I was never up to 250 but spent some time @ 240. I never ran much over medium / soft on 10 or 15 actions. Action adjustments are based on ankle strength more than anything else. Here is a good general rule. The stiffer the action, the less in control you are of your sk8s. A stiff action means the sk8 goes where it wants and you have to fight it to get it to do what you want.

On the other extreme, too soft of an action can be a hand full. You may find yourself fighting the sk8s, but for a different reason. Sk8s are inanimate objects. If you park them on a level surface they do not move or turn or what have you, they just sit. When you get in them the sk8s go where you tell them to. I cannot count the number of sk8rs that have borrowed mine, only to come right back saying "Your sk8s have a mind of their own.". On the contrary, they are doing exactly what you are telling them to do... You may not think so, but they are. What is happening is the sk8r is getting behind them and then the sk8r starts to over correct. The sk8s are still doing what you tell them, the sk8r is just not aware of the problem, so they blame the sk8s. So, you have to find the happy medium. My happy medium is soft cushions (those blue ones) with zero tension on the action. (DA45 action) I would be on yellows on a 10 degree or maybe purple barrels w/ blue cones.

I was hoping to get away with some that are a bit softer so i don't feel the dips valleys as much in my local rink.

Just remember, sk8 suspensions steer as well as absorb shock. Going soft to absorb bumps can lead to real squirrely actions.

After your durometer recommendation can you point me in the right direction for the proper cushion upgrade for the classic plate?

Other than the 3 choices of the rubber barrels, that is really about it. You can get some benefit from going to a urethane cone closest to the floor, but it is not an exact fit. It will work however.

Many I have found say NOT for the classic.

They are correct.

I am going to be changing to the reverse kingpin upgrade when I upgrade the cushions.
That will help but there is no easy answer to upgrading the Classic without a lot of work and expense. Sorry to bearer of bad tidings.

Years ago, I lucked out and found a set of Junior Classic trucks that actually had the right geometry and fit my plates. (Why they all do not is a long sad story that I am not going to get into here..) I ran those trucks and the original SG urethane DA cushions. Big improvement over the standard Classic suspension. Sold the sk8s about 5 years ago.

Hope this will help you go the right direction. Unfortunately there are no easy answers for this one.