S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 13th, 2016, 07:19 PM   #1
Gee

Default Seized bearing

Sometimes during a session, my Swiss Bones bearings will momentarily stop spinning. This may happen once or twice during a session. It usually happened when I am skating the turn as fast as I can. Usually I can feel the bearings lookup and quickly shift my weight back to the other skate. I think it only happens during consecutive crossovers and not during a progressive run. Once, I did not shift my weight quickly enough and I went flying half way across the rink. Other than that, they rolled smoothly. I can roll smoothly once and a half times around the perimeter of the rink on a single push. I could not find any evidence of damage. I do not seem to have this problem with my older Fafnir bearings. What may be causing this problem?
Old November 14th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #2
HeBeGB

Is it actually the bearings locking up or could it be boot bite?
Old November 14th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #3
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Oh ohhhhhh.
Back away hebe .This is docs place....He gets shirty .
Old November 14th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #4
HeBeGB

Sorry, Mia Culpa.
Old November 15th, 2016, 12:57 AM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Shirty eh?? :P

HeBeGB, you may be close to the answer. I wonder if there are burn marks on any of Mr Gee's soles??

I noticed he stared his bearings (plural) quit spinning. Interestingly, in my experience if the bearing actually locks up the wheel starts to spin on the outer race. Granted it feels like the brakes were slammed but I don't think that could launch someone..

I await the examination of the boot soles prior to digging deeper.
Old November 15th, 2016, 04:09 AM   #6
Gee

There are no burn marks on my sole. My Harlick boots still look brand new at the bottom. I was using Hyper Dance Plus wheels on an Atlas plate. There is more than 1/2 inch clearance between the wheel and the bottom of the boot. I do not see how I can possibly tilt the wheel into the sole. I do not think the trucks are capable of reaching that far. I also keep the action on my truck on the tight side so they return quickly to the neutral position after I take pressure off them.

I have only experiencing this when I perform consecutive crossovers rapidly. I have not tried it with my laser hardnose to see it I get the same result with a different boot, plate and wheel combination.

It seems my front wheels just stop spinning momentarily. I thought perhaps I lock things up by putting too much pressure on the front wheels. Usually, putting weight on the front wheels only decreases my speed.

Last edited by Gee; November 16th, 2016 at 02:03 PM.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #7
larryoracing

Default Hey Doc I know this is your forum, but I had a similar experience.

I notice a lot of weird stuff takes place with my new Roll Line "energy" and "dance plates, using my old FoMac Wheels Zephr and spacers between the bearing inside the wheels.

I was using the wrong size spacers inside the wheels. This allowed the bearings to shift inside the wheels. It was possible for the bearing to shift inside the wheels and allow the wheels to rub against the side of the trucks.

I was just wondering if the wheels are shifting just a little bit on the axel and rubbing against the side of the trucks and actually causing the wheel to lock up on hard leans..etc.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. So, what I did was put in the right size spacers between the bearings inside the wheels and space the wheels a little bit away from the inside of the truck so the wheel never ever will hit the inside of the truck. Also, sometimes your bearings can be a little sensitive to how tight you put the lock not on the axel to hold the wheels on. Don't put the lock not on so tight, to free up the bearings from binding up. Also, I had one bad wheel where the bearings go in and it was not true. It caused the bearings to bind and slow down. So I could not use that wheel.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #8
Gee

I do not think it is possible for my wheel to rub against the truck. I do not use spacers. I use Ranalli dust caps on the truck side of the wheel and Roll-Line dust caps on the axle side of the wheel. The Ranalli dust caps are thick and strong. The assembly feels very solid. I am not able to force the wheel against the truck, so I do not expect that to happen when I am skating. Also, there are no marks on the wheels or trucks. Hmm... I wonder if a certain angle can cause the Ranalli dust caps to lock both races together.

Last edited by Gee; November 17th, 2016 at 01:43 PM.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #9
Gee

Problem solved by placing a washer between the Ranalli dust cap and bearing.
Old November 25th, 2016, 08:07 AM   #10
larryoracing

Smile Awesome!

Good show mate...LOL!
How did you figure that out????

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote