S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Aggressive Skating Forum > Quad Vert
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Vert All kinds of aggressive skating on quad roller skates including quad vertical roller skating, quad bowl skating, quad skatepark tricks, and street skating tricks in quad skates.

Old April 3rd, 2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Blizz

Question Skate set-up for skatepark?

Hello guys
I got into skatepark stuff last summer and managed some quarter pipe and some half pipe, complete beginner style. Loved it and I want to get a little better this summer. I have all sorts of questions about skate set-ups, hoping you could help? I play derby and skate outdoors with my usual set up which is Bont boots, Avenger DA45 alu plates, Roll-line Formula 88 wheels or Juke wheels.

1. If you have one set of skates - is it the same set-up for all skatepark stuff, from vert to shallower bowls, boxes and other usual features? Or do people optimise for quad vert skating (which I've found I enjoy the most)?

2. How does the wheelbase matter, is short or long better? Mine is about the shortest it gets, size 0 which is 130mm. Got small feet and went for agility set up.

3. How do cushions matter, are soft or hard better for skatepark/ramps?

4. I've gathered wide trucks are for balance, is this the only reason? Do people mostly side-surf on them or skate the normal style? I'd worry about clipping wheels with wide trucks, when not side-surfing.

5. My skates have got an agile set-up for derby (short wheelbase, agility mount, DA45 plates, narrow wheels) - is agility and small turning circle not desirable for ramps and stuff? Are there any benefits from it? Jumps maybe easier? Are there things I can't do because of the set-up? The skates I have seen here on the forum don't look very agile at all from the pictures.

6. Is it likely I'll break my plates/trucks if I carry on skating at skatepark with these...? Photo here. I've tried does the plate catch on the coping but it sits on that upside-down V section quite nicely. I guess I shouldn't even think of grinding or stalls with these as they would break... or what do you think?

7. These are my old skates Riedell She Devil - any potential there building ramp skates from these? They've got Triton 10 degree aluminium plate.

Thank you!
Blizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Blizz

I think most of the answers are already somewhere here...so I'll try to answer some of my own questions

1. I guess when people decide what they want to do, they'll start going towards special gear...but to start with standard skates are just fine..

2. Width is discussed, not sure of length, but I guess longer is better.

3. It appears that firmer cushions are better suited

4. Hmmm...? I'm learning to side-surf. It appears it's the 'thing', quite essential for speed on ramps?

5. Hmmm...

6. Hmmm...

7. I'd say yes, because they're my old skates and I'm not so worried about trashing them. The wheelbase is longer than on my current plates. What would be one change that I could do to them to make them better suited for ramps? Smaller wheels? Wider trucks?
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:22 PM   #3
Lil Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
Hello guys
I got into skatepark stuff last summer and managed some quarter pipe and some half pipe, complete beginner style. Loved it and I want to get a little better this summer. I have all sorts of questions about skate set-ups, hoping you could help? I play derby and skate outdoors with my usual set up which is Bont boots, Avenger DA45 alu plates, Roll-line Formula 88 wheels or Juke wheels.

1. If you have one set of skates - is it the same set-up for all skatepark stuff, from vert to shallower bowls, boxes and other usual features? Or do people optimise for quad vert skating (which I've found I enjoy the most)?

2. How does the wheelbase matter, is short or long better? Mine is about the shortest it gets, size 0 which is 130mm. Got small feet and went for agility set up.

3. How do cushions matter, are soft or hard better for skatepark/ramps?

4. I've gathered wide trucks are for balance, is this the only reason? Do people mostly side-surf on them or skate the normal style? I'd worry about clipping wheels with wide trucks, when not side-surfing.

5. My skates have got an agile set-up for derby (short wheelbase, agility mount, DA45 plates, narrow wheels) - is agility and small turning circle not desirable for ramps and stuff? Are there any benefits from it? Jumps maybe easier? Are there things I can't do because of the set-up? The skates I have seen here on the forum don't look very agile at all from the pictures.

6. Is it likely I'll break my plates/trucks if I carry on skating at skatepark with these...? Photo here. I've tried does the plate catch on the coping but it sits on that upside-down V section quite nicely. I guess I shouldn't even think of grinding or stalls with these as they would break... or what do you think?

7. These are my old skates Riedell She Devil - any potential there building ramp skates from these? They've got Triton 10 degree aluminium plate.

Thank you!
I wouldn't even think of skating ramps or parks with a pair of Bonts, far too pretty to be wrecking if you bail hard! I've not read much good about Triton plates (though I've never skated one, so I can't really give you any advice), if they don't hold up to well with Derby, you'll wreck them sharpish if you're doing big jumps and stalling on them. It makes me cringe thinking of them Mag Avengers getting hammered into copings

From the advice I've been given here in the past, Sure Grip Super X is the plate of choice for Quad Vert. Wide trucks (skateboard trucks in particular) are better for grinding, and give you a little more stability. I used to skate ACS651's as a kid, though they do take some getting used to, and I don't really side surf when skating ramps.

I've just upgraded to these, but they'll stay indoors. My Bauers will get all my ramp time in the summer, the long wheelbase is what I'm used to, and I prefer the ankle support they offer. IMO you don't need the turny DA45's for ramps, but then it's what you're comfortable in...

As for wheels, 88a is a good starting point for ramps but you're better off with a solid wheel, skateboard wheels are best depending on what surface you're skating (and how hard). Harder wheels obviously mean you go faster, but I found 95a skateboard wheels were sliding me here, there and everywhere on concrete parks...

If you do get in to it, you could always build your own aggressive boot. Logger BiffSk8er is a beast Vert Quad skater, and has posted quite a lot of info in the past about his boot building, and what he (and others) think
works best on ramps.
Old April 4th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Blizz

Thanks! My skates don't stay pretty for long, I play hard but I take your advice and not go wrecking my Avengers!

Just remembered that I have (another) spare set of Triton plates that are slightly bent and were destined for the bin. I could use those and see if I can wreck them. They are heavy and haven't got very good reputation, they bend and break. I'll put the standard hard cushions in, and try and find some skateboard wheels. I'll use my old Riedell boots.

I don't want to turn them vert-only skates because I'd like to enjoy skating on the street as well (aggressive?), so maybe that's enough modifications to make them work for both? I want to learn to jump a bit and vert set-ups don't look agile at all.
Old April 4th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Blizz

Bear with me, I'm new to all this

Found a thread that says it's either ramp or street skate - can't really combine those two. I want to learn more ramp stuff so will build something more suitable for that than my Bont+Avenger, and will 'save' my Bonts for street/jumps/generic skating and derby of course (my logic here is that French street skaters seem to use short fw mount similar to what I have, and as I've got my skates I might as well use them rather than keep them scuff-free - which they're not!)
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Lil Rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizz View Post
Bear with me, I'm new to all this

Found a thread that says it's either ramp or street skate - can't really combine those two. I want to learn more ramp stuff so will build something more suitable for that than my Bont+Avenger, and will 'save' my Bonts for street/jumps/generic skating and derby of course (my logic here is that French street skaters seem to use short fw mount similar to what I have, and as I've got my skates I might as well use them rather than keep them scuff-free - which they're not!)
I use my Bauers for both, but don't have wide trucks (tend to ride vert in front stance). Your current setup is fine for street with some soft wheels of course. I still wouldn't be keen on skating bonts outside, but that's just opinion, whatever works for you works! And I guess if you're playing derby in them, they won't stay pristine forever! Most important thing is you feel comfortable and have fun.