S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old August 14th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #1
Spencer.Berry

Default Flanders Grand Prix

Flanders Grand Prix: August 12-14

Three days of road and track racing in Belgium.
Lots of great photos, videos and results here:
https://www.facebook.com/flandersgra...ref=ts&fref=ts

And now for my usual 125mm comments

125's were legal for the road race.
Bart won the men's 30k road race with a big lead on 125's. Strangely, Felix ended up way back in 8th place on 125's. I think everyone else in the top 10 was on 110's.
Sadrine Tas dominated the road race (and almost every women's race) on 3x110+100. Bianca Roosenboom got 2nd place on the road with 125's, but nearly all of the other top women were on 3x110+100 or 4x110. I think even Erin Jackson was on 3x110+100.

Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #2
kufman

Until 125's are allowed in all events and the top skaters train on them all the time, I don't think we will have a clear picture of their capabilities. 125's seem to favor skaters with longer strides and more glide which is the same thing that happened with 110's back in the 2008-2009. In the midwest, the most successful marathon skater so far this year has been an ice skater skating with ice technique on borrowed 125's.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2016, 10:30 PM   #3
spdkls

I find it interesting that Bart is on the new profile Blue hubs vs new G13's. I have both and like the wide blue hubs better. IMO I hope PS stops making the thin profile.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 12:11 AM   #4
Spencer.Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
Until 125's are allowed in all events and the top skaters train on them all the time, I don't think we will have a clear picture of their capabilities.
I agree. That is definitely true. A few more generations of wheel/hub development will also help.

On the other hand, Felix has many years of experience on 125's, and quite a few lesser known skaters beat him in the road race on 110's (of course anyone can have a bad day). People have been frequently claiming that with current technology and current regulations, it's difficult or impossible to keep up on 110's, and I keep hearing that the guys/gals on 125's are just "walking away" from the others on 110's. I'm just a little bit skeptical about some of these claims.

On a completely different note...
It's great to see a few race reports, photos and videos in the "speed events" section. I miss the old days of racereports.net.
Spencer.Berry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:08 PM   #5
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kufman View Post
In the midwest, the most successful marathon skater so far this year has been an ice skater skating with ice technique on borrowed 125's.
Lets not forget that he is also a word class professional athlete. Same with his sister.
theDonnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote