S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 8th, 2016, 01:07 AM   #1
QUADSK8ACE
aka Shaun4BigBlocks

Default Qube 8-Ball Ceramic- What The Dilly Yo?

Sir- I just now stumbled across these…

-Patterned after the world famous "Fafnir" bearings from the late 70s, the QUBE 8-Ball has been re-engineered using patented 3D modeling technology and manufacturing techniques.

-The QUBE Ceramic bearings have 8 ball bearings instead of the traditional 7. The additional ball bearing helps spread load evenly over the entire bearing instead of just one or two points.

-The 8 ball bearings help ensure greater lateral load capabilities while turning.

-The deeper groove inside the Qube Ceramic bearings reduces the chance of a 'blow-out' in highspeed sharp turns.

-Ceramic material can take more heat than conventional steel making them last longer and perform better under harsh conditions.

I about shat myself and definitely floated a pudge... I have either not seen a review on SLF yet, or overlooked one. Watcha think Bossman? Is this the perfect combination? Is this the best thing since sliced bread? Is this a “game changer”? I am overexcited at the moment and wanted to get your endorsement before I impulsively empty another fbenjamin from my wallet. Do I make the move or are my standard Qube 8’s more than sufficient (of course they are?

**Thanks Doc**
Old November 8th, 2016, 06:03 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default OK....

Basically, your steel Qube 8 balls w/ Si3N4 (the good ones) balls. So, what do you get?? Well the balls sure don't wear out from normal use. The races, well that is a different story. Since the balls are too hard to get pitted etc from dirt, the races take full abuse from it. That said, I have a couple of sets of the prototypes. They were actually built in the Juice races. They have been rolled hard and put away wet. After a lot of abuse, they are noisy as hell but still roll better than a lot of cheap new bearings I have. Why is that?? Well, close as I can tell the balls are still round and smooth. Nicked up balls and races would appear to roll less well than just nicked up races.

I have a couple of production sets in my sk8s as well.. Seem to be just fine, but then again almost all of my bearings seem to be fine. I have more issues with hub to bearing fit than plain bad bearings.

Are the ceramic 8 balls worth the money?? I would say depends on what you pay for them. Many of the ladies on the local derby league run the plain 8 balls and get more than one season out of them. Again depending on pricing, you could get 3 sets of the steel 8 balls for one set of the ceramics.

Since I see so much variability in care and use of bearings from sk8r to sk8r, I cannot really say if the bang for the buck is there in your case.

One other thing. Somewhere in my big hoard of quads, I have a set of the very first Bones Swiss ceramics I got in Y2K. A couple of them are a bit noisy after all these years. How do the new Qubes compare to my old Swiss?? Can't really tell any difference.

Let me be honest here. Very seldom do I ditch a set of bearings for failure to roll. I find wheels are much more influential in the roll fast and easy equation.