S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 9th, 2016, 08:19 PM   #1
marksundell
Blade or Die.

Default Distance skating and Knee Pads?

Ok guys and gals, I'd like some feedback here.
I'm a pretty seasoned skater. almost 30 years on skates.
I did aggressive for most of that and I'm getting out of it, mostly into distance skating these days.

I do anywhere from 10-30 miles a week and I've had the pleasure of taking some high speed spills due to the fact I skate on goofy trails and roads...

So, after my last digger I'm thinking about investing in some knee pads.
What do you guys do? It seems most speed guys don't wear them? It is just because there aren't any good ones out there?

But man... it sure sucks to skate 15 miles home when you just jacked up your knee and are dripping blood everywhere. haha.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
marksundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #2
TimeZone3

I've done the skate home with blood dripping down my leg, over the sock, onto the skates, etc. Never again. kneepads, elbow pads, wrist guards, helmet, everytime.

The trails I skate on sometimes have debris on them, or wet spots, or slippery wooden bridges, not to mention bicyclists, pedestrians, and dog walkers. Protection is paramount. Anyone who thinks they don't need pads because they can handle whatever is probably underestimating what life can throw their way. When you get out on your skates, you have to accept that you don't control everything in the environment. Control what you can - your own behaviour. Which includes gearing up.

For the record, I have no problem with speed skaters in a rink (which I do consider to be as close to a controlled environment as you can get) going without pads (I still think a helmet is a good idea). Trail skating is a whole 'nother thing.

</soapbox>

TZ
TimeZone3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 12:25 AM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

Knee pads add warmth, a white plastic shield is all you need.

At what point is the trail so bad that "you" get on a bicycle and also get an excellent workout, with no gomer activity (gomer's go to ground)
or
Why not find a good spot to skate, and get a road bike to go to the "bad trails"
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #4
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksundell View Post
Ok guys and gals, I'd like some feedback here.
I'm a pretty seasoned skater. almost 30 years on skates.
I did aggressive for most of that and I'm getting out of it, mostly into distance skating these days.

I do anywhere from 10-30 miles a week and I've had the pleasure of taking some high speed spills due to the fact I skate on goofy trails and roads...

So, after my last digger I'm thinking about investing in some knee pads.
What do you guys do? It seems most speed guys don't wear them? It is just because there aren't any good ones out there?

But man... it sure sucks to skate 15 miles home when you just jacked up your knee and are dripping blood everywhere. haha.

any feedback would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
I skate about 120 miles per week and I wear knee pads.

I am currently using 187 Killer Fly Knee Pads.
http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/187_K...age-187FK.html

They stay on reasonably well in a crash and do not restrict movement. They are, however, a bit hot and bulky. Based on how warm they felt in winter, I thought they would be unbearable in summer. However, they seem to be OK.

Lizard Skins Softshell knee pads are lighter, less bulky, and even less restrictive. Unfortunately, they are not very durable and they are out of manufacture. I am reserving the remaining life of my last pair for racing. The 187's are quite durable and easily replaced.

Last edited by ese002; August 11th, 2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: grammer cleanup
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2016, 11:59 PM   #5
Vadn1

http://g-form.com/en/pro-xc-knee-pads.html
Vadn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2016, 02:21 AM   #6
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadn1 View Post
Unfortunately, for all their advantages, G-From pads don't do the one thing that pads meant for distance skating must do: slide. They slide *off* but that is not the kind of sliding that you need.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote