S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Speed Events
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Events Announcements, reports, results, photos, and discussions about all types of speed skating events.

Old July 6th, 2008, 08:11 PM   #1
jmac

Default Houston Inline Marathon Weekend! :: Nov 1–2, 2008

“HOUSTON, WE HAVE A MARATHON!”

Have you heard the news?? The 2nd Annual Houston Inline Marathon Weekend will take place right in the HEART of HOUSTON on Saturday and Sunday, November 1–2, 2008!

On Saturday, we'll have a free casual skate tour of Houston's vibrant downtown area, an Inline Fitness & Speedskating Industry Expo, and a Pre-Race Party with live music and great food!

Then, on Sunday morning, the Inline Marathon, Half-Marathon, and “Easy Street” Fun Skate will take place on beautiful Allen Parkway, featuring both recreational skaters and talented amateur and professional inline racers and teams from across North America and beyond — all coming to Houston for the grand-finale event of this year's marathon-racing season!

Whether you're a wobbly beginner, a fitness trail-blader, an urban street skater, a quad-skating Derby Girl, or an experienced indoor or outdoor speedskater... the Houston Inline Marathon Weekend truly has something for you!

NEW FOR 2008: In addition to the Pro Elite (any age) and Pro Masters (age 35+) divisions from last year, this year we've added a new Pro Veterans division for top-notch racers age 50 and over. And in the Open Marathon and Half Marathon events, we're adding all-new Quad divisions, so skaters who prefer traditional roller skates can compete for their own set of awards!

Visit our website now to get more information, and to register!

_________________ _ _ _ __________________

*** EARLY REGISTRATION NOW OPEN! ***
_________________ _ _ _ __________________

Don't miss out on the big discounts available during Early Registration — prices are only $60 for the Marathon, and $46 for the Half-Marathon — and new this year, there's NO EXTRA CHARGE for online registration! Prices will increase on August 1st, so save money by registering today!

___________________________ _ _ _ ___________________________

“EASY STREET” FUN SKATE: BEGINNER- AND FAMILY-FRIENDLY!
___________________________ _ _ _ ___________________________

Are you a beginner skater, not quite ready yet to skate 13 miles? Are you a parent with young kiddos you'd like to skate with? If so, then our “Easy Street” Fun Skate is just for you! The Fun Skate is non-competitive, and will be held on a shorter, flatter course than the Marathon and Half Marathon. One lap of the Fun Skate course will be a little less than 3 miles, and Fun Skaters may choose to skate one, two, or three laps, at their leisure — it's ideal for beginners and families. Registration is very inexpensive, too — during Early Registration, the cost is only $20 for an individual, or $40 for a family of four! And as a bonus, every Fun Skater is just as eligible as the Marathon and Half Marathon skaters are to win valuable Door Prizes after the skate on Sunday morning. So don't wait... register today!

---
The Houston-IM Organizing Committee

(marathon{at}houstoninline.com)

________________________________ _ _ _ ________________________________

Get the latest news and important information about the Houston Inline Marathon Weekend, directly from its organizers — Join the Houston-IM-news announcement list now!

jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 08:58 PM   #2
The Major

Cusious as to why your Pro vet division starts at 50 instead of 45 like most races?
The Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:17 PM   #3
jmac

Default Pro age divisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Major View Post
Curious as to why your Pro Vet division starts at 50 instead of 45 like most races?
Hey Greg,

It's because we're not having a "Grand Veterans" division, so we decided to split the difference between 45 and 55. Based on the age distribution among Pro Men we had last year and anticipate this year, placing the boundary between Masters and Veterans at age 50 seems the best choice.

I should also mention that the Pro racers will be allowed to "challenge up" to a younger division if they wish.

Cheers,
~ Justin
Old August 5th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #4
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

My son and I have registered! Marathon for me, Fun Skate for him. We'll see everyone else there...
Bill in Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #5
SwedeInHouston

I'm planning to do this event as well (aiming for the half marathon), and I think that there's going to be a few more from where I work as well.

It's going to be a lot of fun.
SwedeInHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:22 AM   #6
jmac

It seems hard to believe, but the race is now only three weeks away!! Have you registered yet?

Here's something we're very proud of that we'd like to share with everyone. We selected five photos of last year's race (taken by Terry Connors of Houston and Shelley Kautz of Dallas), created a print ad out of them, and bought a half-page spot for it in the October issue of Competitor Texas magazine. Here's what the ad looks like:

Like most mainstream amateur-sports magazines, Competitor Texas focuses mostly on running, cycling, and triathlons. But they were happy to take our ad, and in fact, they even chose to feature the Houston IM on their special monthly "Upcoming Premiere Events" page! As far as we know, this is the very first time that inline skating has ever been highlighted this way in the magazine. Woo-hoo!!

Visit our website for more info, register today, and come join us in downtown Houston on November 1–2!

http://houstoninlinemarathon.com
Old October 23rd, 2008, 05:00 AM   #7
jmac

Arrow Register online by Sunday!

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to remind ya that online registration for the Houston Inline Marathon will close at 11:59pm this coming Sunday, Oct. 26th!

While it's true that you can also register in person at the Expo and Pre-Race Party on Saturday, Nov. 1st, the prices will be higher then. And if you register online by this coming Sunday, you'll be guaranteed a pair of SockGuy custom technical socks commemorating this year's race! Here's the sock design:

Now, you wouldn't want to miss out on THAT, wouldja??

Not only that, but... David Miles Jr., San Francisco's famous "GodFather of Skating", founder of the California Outdoor Rollersports Association, organizer of the Napa Valley Inline Marathon, producer of San Francisco's Skatin' Place TV show, and Roller Disco DJ extraordinaire, will be on hand as our M.C., and will also be producing a RACE VIDEO!

And as if THAT weren't enough... those who pre-register online will get first dibs on the FREE BEER ON TAP provided after the race by one of our generous sponsors, Houston's own Saint Arnold Brewing Company!! (And for those under 21, they're bringing a keg of their private-label root beer to serve, too!)

If that's not enough reasons for you to register now, then you must... (1) have too many wicked-cool socks, (2) appear in too many race videos, and (3) not be thirsty enough!!

See ya in downtown Houston on November 1st and 2nd!!

Old October 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM   #8
Fusion
Up, Up, and Up some more

Justin,

Just wanted to follow-up and see if the Houston Marathon was still a go. A few of my outdoor skating friends have asked me to check with you.

Thanks
Old October 29th, 2008, 07:19 PM   #9
susanmcp

I just heard it was cancelled due to lack of registrants... those that have flights booked can still skate the Tour de Donut....
susanmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 01:45 AM   #10
Jim White

I've heard from reliable sources that the race is yet scheduled, and that a solid decision has been made that it will occur.
Jim White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:23 AM   #11
WonderGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim White View Post
I've heard from reliable sources that the race is yet scheduled, and that a solid decision has been made that it will occur.
I have students signed up for the event. They are going to be so relieved. It's their first ever skate event.
Renee
Old October 30th, 2008, 03:27 AM   #12
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

Great news. Thanks, Jim.

Some info from the race director.
http://www.inlineplanet.com/forum/vi...=t&sd=a#p12158

See everyone on Sunday!
Old October 31st, 2008, 03:43 PM   #13
jmac

Default Houston Inline Marathon update!

Cancelled?! Hah! Silly rumor! The Houston Inline Marathon is very much alive and kicking! All the latest info has been posted on the event website. Check it out!

Here's a summary of the updates:

(1) The Fun Skate will be completely FREE OF CHARGE -- anyone who wants to skate it can do so for free!

(2) The Fun Skate will take place between 7:00am and 9:00am on the race course. This will also be an opportunity for all those who will be skating in the Half or Full Marathon races to warm up, check out the course, and/or just goof around.

(3) All race categories and divisions will start TOGETHER in a single mass start at 9:00am.

(4) The course will close at 11:45am, and the awards ceremony will begin at 12:00 noon.

(5) The center of activities will be Eleanor Tinsley Park, rather than Sam Houston Park as originally planned. Eleanor Tinsley Park is on Allen Parkway, about a half-mile west of Sam Houston Park.

(6) Late Registration and Packet Pickup will take place between 1:00pm and 5:00pm on Saturday at the Last Concert Café.

(7) In addition to the LCC, packet pickup AND on-site late registration WILL BE AVAILABLE on race morning, contrary to original plans. However, skaters should take note that ON-SITE REGISTRATION WILL CLOSE AT 8:00am. We strongly recommend that skaters who need to late-register do so at the Last Concert Café on Saturday afternoon if at all possible, rather than waiting until race morning.

(8) On race morning, free curbside parking will be available on the eastbound feeder road of Allen Parkway, to the east of Gillette Street. Folks can get to the race course either by crossing Allen Parkway — being careful to avoid traffic in the three eastbound lanes, of course — or by taking the pedestrian overpass bridge.

We've posted a new InfoMap that shows exactly where everything is, and provides details about what's happening in each place. Check it out!

Remember, Sunday morning is when Daylight Saving Time ends, so everyone will be able to get an extra hour of sleep (or partying) the night before the race!

We look forward to seeing you here in Houston this weekend — the weather will be perfect, we're gonna have a blast!!

Old October 31st, 2008, 03:48 PM   #14
LezSk8

Location: Longwood, Florida, 1 1/2 miles from the Seminole Wekiva Trail.

Bill in Huston, Best wishes for PB's to you and all the skaters this weekend in Houston. Skate safe, fast and have a ball!

LezSk8!
Old October 31st, 2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Bill in Houston
Not Low Enough

I'll be there with bells on! Well, no, but my wife and kids will probably have cowbells. :-)

Lezsk8, thanks for the wishes! I think I will have a PB unless something really really bad happens. Shooting for under 2 hours...
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:05 PM   #16
Kriss

yes good luck bill!
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2008, 05:16 PM   #17
JimmyB
Pinnacle Footwear Expert

Good Luch to all that are competing!!!! I wish I could be there
JimmyB is offline   Reply With Quote