S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Fitness Skating and Training Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Skating and Training Forum Discussions about on-skate and off-skate training, hydration, sports nutrition, weight loss, injuries, sports medicine, and other topics related to training and physical fitness for skaters.

Old August 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #121
speedysktr
President of Everything

...you could have had the dark meat

man, tough crowd.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #122
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
Yours truly lives to run again, albeit with a slightly bloodied knee that believes it will never be allowed to heal and a swollen hip that has now taken it's third impact in as many weeks as well. Time for a Jazzy Scooter maybe? JB
Omg, I'm glad you're ok. That crossing really scares me. You're good at saves - I'm not sure what I would have done it that situation. Probably just fly across the road screaming and hoping for the best.

I think I'd be more afraid of the moose than the bear. I've heard moose are really mean. Was it someone on this board that almost got attacked by one?

August 17

AM - 6 mile treadmill run
PM - Core training, 90 minutes

August 18

15 miles on the Gandy bridge w/6 hill climbs - 55:08, 3:41 pace
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 02:50 PM   #123
Jessica
Queen of the Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysktr View Post

man, tough crowd.
Way over my head - maybe I need some coffee.
Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #124
speedysktr
President of Everything

drink your coffee and scroll up.

...hint: speedy is the dark meat
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:06 PM   #125
speedysktr
President of Everything

see, the bear gets the chubby slow pink guy (Jon B. his words not mine, btw ) and then the bear starts bitching about how chewy Jon B. is and then mrs. bear starts ragging on him for bitching and slams him for being a slacker.

heavy sigh....
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #126
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Hey Speedy...FWIW I liked the story
mvirtue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:24 PM   #127
Code Monkey

Thanks for the translation speedy. Jessica, I didn't get it either but then I only understand about twenty percent of what speedy says anyway and that is with coffee loading.

Speedy funny you should mention about the coeds because I know of two who also want to join in. And you know what? You actually had a lot to do with it. See I have that picture of you skating behind that cutie with a big smile on your face as you look at the camera, well I can't tell you how many people comment on it. I also have the one with you, Jessica, gless, Napalm and Jon B. Two of my students think you're cute and in a conversation I have told them about the Coure d'Alene trip they're reply was, is he going? I said, I'm pretty sure he is, thinking that was going to kill it all when they both looked at each other and came back with, let's go get some skates this weekend.
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #128
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Re: CMs post...

So Speedy, how good are your sales skills
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:29 PM   #129
speedysktr
President of Everything

aw thanks, man. I guess somebody still likes me. All the rest of you I hate you now! From now on it's gonna be me and my buddy mark and we dont need anybody else just me and him, except maybe jessica. Yeah, but that's it, just me and mark and jessica and we dont need anybody else, just us three and we're gonna go skate and we dont need anybody. Oh and Dmorg, but that's really really it, just us 4 and nobody else is gonna be in our special club other than maybe Kathie Fry but that is it for sure this time. We dont need anybody else except for Jibs, but that really is it, I mean it, me, mark, jessica, Dmorg, Kathie Fry and jibs are gonna be the only ones cause we...(trips and falls over pants around ankles)
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #130
speedysktr
President of Everything

all steve martin tributes aside,
disclaimer: any and all fictious applications of steve martinesque schtick are not to be taken seriously or to imply any presence or absence of actual affinity to other forum users.

dang, code, didja tell them honeys I was married and 41? (that usually sours the deal purty quick.)

mark, in the spirit of the scene in Fast times at Ridgemont high when Spikoli wrecks the car: I can do this.
Old August 18th, 2006, 03:49 PM   #131
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Monkey View Post
...I'm pretty sure he is, thinking that was going to kill it all when they both looked at each other and came back with, let's go get some skates this weekend.
What are ya sayin' there brother? Ya get me all warm and fuzzy thinking how nice it is that you put that pic up and BAM!!!, next thing you tell me is I'm running off the chickies

please excuse me while I weep quietly.
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM   #132
desertkiwi
Make It Happen

Hi, everyone~

It's great to be back. I see this thread is prolific as ever! And so many of you accomplishing some very impressive feats. All this, of course mixed, in with lurid tales of rampaging moose, chubby-pink-guy-devouring bear, Speedy's shocking self-proclaimed status as 'dark meat' (I don't think I want to know what that means) and, stranger still, JonB on 5x80 and liking it? I so want to try speed skates but fear scenarios like JonB's foray into roadkill territory.

I've gone back to timed workouts instead of distance for the summer and doing intervals a couple days a week. I also started trying 'technique intervals' from an article I read on inlineplanet.com. The idea is to break down problem areas into components and focus only on one component at a time, but only for a certain interval, like a lap or amount of time, then move on to the next component and repeat. I've really been working on setting my feet down straight ahead and over center. When I get it right I really feel efficient, so I think it's helping and will hopefully result in more speed.

Tawni
desertkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 04:37 PM   #133
speedysktr
President of Everything

Hi tawni, welcome back!
darkmeat=normal summer tan + extra tan due to beach trip + normal dark/olive complexion
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #134
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:

man, tough crowd.
....take my wife......please. JB
Jon B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:18 PM   #135
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Mercy, mercy, mercy. While I've been out skating look what's going on. It's nice to see all the banter though. Meanwhile, mission accomplished. Four marathons in four days - done on four different trails. Each trail provides it's own distinct "ambience". The Withlacoochee is the familiar one, I know the distances by heart and every icon I pass, I know the contours mile by mile and I get to skate from memory. The Suncoast is the hill challenge, still new enough to me to not have it memorized, but filled with opportunities to really exert yourself. The West Orange was stopping & slowing practice all the way. Just about the time you get up to speed it's time for another street crossing, that along with obstacle avoidance like root telegraphy, concrete heaves and debris makes one feel like the artful dodger. Finally the Van Fleet, my personal Moby Dick - a lesson in monotony. Long flat and straight, the only time you ever even change your stride is to scissor over the decaying wooden bridges, this one is psychological warfare. Herewith the resluts:

Aug 15, Tuesday: Withlacoochee Trail, sunset solo 5x80
27 miles in 1:59:30, marathon 1:55:27, average mile 4:24, average speed 13.6mph, max speed 19.3mph. Best mile 4:02 @ 14.8mph, worst mile 4:59 @ 12mph. Average HR 164/max 182. 7 miles in 30:18, ˝ marathon in 56:39.
Not a really good run, but at least I did it.

Aug 16, Wednesday: Suncoast Parkway Trail, me (5x80) & Napalm (4x88)
Marathon 26.2 miles in 1:50:52 for an average mile of 4:12, average speed 14.2mph, max speed 25.6mph. Best mile 3:40 @ 16.3mph, worst mile 4:46 @ 12.6mph. Average HR 157/max 177. 7 miles in 29:11, ˝ marathon in 55:26. 6 sub 4's.

Aug 17, Thursday: West Orange Trail, solo 5x80
27 miles in 2:05:51, marathon 2:02:16 for an average mile of 4:37, average speed 12.9mph, max 20.6mph. Best mile 4:03 (x2) @ 14.8mph worst mile 5:59 @ 10mph. Average HR 154/max 170. 7 miles in 32:59, ˝ marathon in 59:29. 0 sub 4's, 4 over 5min. Mile 5 and mile 22 (return) are almost disallowable because they run through downtown on variegated concrete and cobblestone with myriad crossings. The whole trail has become the least desirable for me for timed runs because of all the street crossings most of which come during your fastest clips headed East which really robs the advantage. Also, they’ve got some construction going on and detour the trail twice onto narrow jughandles. I also find this trail to be the most debris laden of them all.

Aug 18, Friday: Van Fleet Trail, solo 5x80
32 miles in 2:18:31 for an average mile of 4:18, average speed 13.9mph, max speed 16.0mph. Best mile 4:09 @ 14.4mph, worst mile 4:32 @ 13.2mph. Average HR 146/max 160. 7 miles in 30:33, ˝ marathon in 56:47, marathon in 1:53:41. 0 sub 4's, 0 5's.

Now it's time to get back to work. Let's see what challenges next week brings. JB
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #136
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertwind View Post
... When I get it right I really feel efficient, so I think it's helping and will hopefully result in more speed. Tawni
I was gliding down a hill the other day and had an experience that I wanted to share. Tawni's post reminded me of it. I was trying to slow down with out slaloming and without taking my feet off the ground so I intentionally did a massive pronation while applying pressure to simulate a snowplow. Mind that I wasn't actually turning my skates in, just the pressure. Now I told you that so I could tell you this. There's a reason pronating is bad: it scrubs your speed. If the force of your push isn't going straight down through your lower leg into your foot and straight through your wheels, then you are losing efficiency. Bear in mind that just because you are on your inside or outside edge, that doesnt mean you are misdirecting your force. This becomes critical as more and more people learn the DP. As I've played with my stroke there have been times when I realized that I was actually scrubbing speed with my underpush by carving forward with too much force at too radical of an angle and actually slowing my self down.

Next time you skate, try this: get some good speed up and start gliding and listen to your bearings. Make sure you are right on top of the wheels and get a good sense of the sound. Then force yourself into a radical pronation on both feet and listen to the change in the sound of your bearings. That is the sound of friction. Friction is our enemy. The only reason I'm telling you all of this is that it's an easy observation to make and give you first hand exposure to something that could in fact be holding you back if you aren't skating with as good of form as you could. There isnt a lesson or drill to learn here, just an observation that you can make when you are skating.
Old August 18th, 2006, 05:58 PM   #137
speedysktr
President of Everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon B. View Post
... Four marathons in four days - done on four different trails.
Way to go, jibs. Solid numbers, baby.

ummm, I think I might have skated about 20 miles in the last four days

just kidding!!! I'm tapering!

well actually I was tapering and am now in fact tapered.

Who was it, spring a year ago, that swore he was skating 250 miles a week?
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #138
mvirtue
Rain Coordinator

Re: CdA

I broached the subject with my wife and she said to get the dates and then we could talk again... I'd rather go to this than my 20th HS reunion...
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #139
Code Monkey

Jon B., Ok you take point and don't forget to feed the bears and moose. Wow, you are kickin ass! Way ta go! Just do your best not to center punch any large vehicles. If you can. In the words of captain Ahab, "the white whale tasks me".

Speedy, in regards to the coeds. Oh. Oh, I see. Running away, eh? You yellow basta**! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!
Code Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #140
Jon B.
Adamant Jello

Quote:
Way to go, jibs. Solid numbers, baby.

ummm, I think I might have skated about 20 miles in the last four days

just kidding!!! I'm tapering!

well actually I was tapering and am now in fact tapered.

Who was it, spring a year ago, that swore he was skating 250 miles a week?
Did I say that? Maybe I'm tapir'd too.

Are they dark meat or white meat? JB