S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old November 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM   #1
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Default Snyder Advantage ?

Doc, I have an older pair of Snyder Advantage plates. I have them setup with mediuim cushions on top (near boot) and soft for the conical. These plates still have the Nylon(?) pivot cups. I like how they skate but I hear that the newer pivot cups are steel. Why did Snyder change and do I need to upgrade these? I skate rec so it isn't a performance issue, just curious as to why they changed...

Thanks, Rg
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 04:56 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Re: Snyder Advantage ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Doc, I have an older pair of Snyder Advantage plates. I have them setup with mediuim cushions on top (near boot) and soft for the conical. These plates still have the Nylon(?) pivot cups. I like how they skate but I hear that the newer pivot cups are steel. Why did Snyder change and do I need to upgrade these? I skate rec so it isn't a performance issue, just curious as to why they changed...
Murray KY?? Cool. There are a few pair of the Doc's sk8s out that way. In fact, one fellow seems intent of duplicating my pile....
As to the pivot cups. I have a pair but never really paid attention. Leeme go look. (Sounds of Doc sk8 stumbling down stairs.....then huffing and puffing back up....) Mine are steel like the ones in my Super Ds and Imperial / Royals.

Now to answer the questions. The metal cup is more durable, especially with the small diameter of the Snyder pivot ball... Perhaps too much jumping causes problems.... Here is the key. Are they worn? If not, don't worry about it. If so, I'd contact Snyder for an upgrade.

Make darn sure you have the pivot pins adjusted correctly. Having them wrong can lead to all sorts of problems...