S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old February 20th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #1
sk8rsalsero

Default Skates for Jamskating vs Rhythm Skating

Like many, I'm coming back to skating after many years, and have quickly gone through the archives here to educate myself regarding equipment. I'm still struggling with some of the 'new-to-me' vocabulary. So is the following understanding correct?

Jamskating: dancing on skates with an emphasis on breakdance moves.

Rhythm skating: dancing on skates with an emphasis on shuffle skate moves.

The follow-up question to this is regarding the skate equipment. All 'jamskates' seem to be speed-skates, and 'rhythm skates' seem to be artistic skates. WHY? Is it just the breakdancing aspect of jamskating that make a speed skate better for that? When I see people 'dance on skates', other than breakdance moves, it seems to be almost the same. Is there some real performance aspect (other than actually using them for speed skating) as to why speed-skates are chosen for 'jamskating'?

Any input is appreciated!
Gracias!
sk8rsalsero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #2
raggedjim
I hate my avatar...

Most of the "shuffle" skaters at my rink are wearing speed boots. It may be a regional preference...

Rg
raggedjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2008, 08:44 PM   #3
brikkee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rsalsero View Post
Like many, I'm coming back to skating after many years, and have quickly gone through the archives here to educate myself regarding equipment. I'm still struggling with some of the 'new-to-me' vocabulary. So is the following understanding correct?

Rhythm skating: dancing on skates with an emphasis on shuffle skate moves.

The follow-up question to this is regarding the skate equipment. All 'jamskates' seem to be speed-skates, and 'rhythm skates' seem to be artistic skates. WHY? Is it just the breakdancing aspect of jamskating that make a speed skate better for that? When I see people 'dance on skates', other than breakdance moves, it seems to be almost the same. Is there some real performance aspect (other than actually using them for speed skating) as to why speed-skates are chosen for 'jamskating'?

Any input is appreciated!
Gracias!

I guess its a matter of personal preference for me i grew up on speed boots so i stuck with them i like the shorter boot because i can get more movement in the ankles and never care for the bigger heel i have thought about using a art boot and cutting the heel down to 1/4 inch and a higher boot just so i can get more support on my calves and this is unheard of lol.
Old February 21st, 2008, 01:34 AM   #4
Barf
Insane in the Urethane

At the risk of breaking the Political Correctness code, I've noticed that a very large proportion of the skaters using art skate boots for shuffle skating are black, and most the skaters using speed boots for the same type of skating tend to be white. Not all skaters line up with this, but it sure seems like a lot do... darned if I know why.

Stupid disclaimer: Even noticing something like this can get a guy compared to Hitler on the internet. Please, nobody bother calling me a racist or try to start a flame war. I don't have any political axe to grind here, it's just something I've noticed watching skating vids on the internet. You can go watch some Youtube videos yourself and see if that's not how it breaks down.
Barf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2008, 02:52 AM   #5
73watermutt
I skate in circles

That is true and I have noticed it as well.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #6
jammn'beck
JAMwdaBESTrBLADElikdaREST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barf View Post
At the risk of breaking the Political Correctness code, I've noticed that a very large proportion of the skaters using art skate boots for shuffle skating are black, and most the skaters using speed boots for the same type of skating tend to be white. Not all skaters line up with this, but it sure seems like a lot do... darned if I know why.

Stupid disclaimer: Even noticing something like this can get a guy compared to Hitler on the internet. Please, nobody bother calling me a racist or try to start a flame war. I don't have any political axe to grind here, it's just something I've noticed watching skating vids on the internet. You can go watch some Youtube videos yourself and see if that's not how it breaks down.
yep, I've noticed the SAME exact thing........I'm white and the rinks I go to are 95% African American.......(heck, they have the best music!) the Af. Amer.'s ALL wear art boots.......I believe it just has alot to do with their roots as skaters.......I'm actually alittle puzzled by this phenomenon too!
maybe it has alot to do with what you get used to too.......like I've always skated a speed boot.......so, I would'nt really be interested in an art boot.
they started out with art boots, so maybe they're not interested in the speed boot........
it's also the style of skating they're doing.......they don't do alot of ground work or breakdancing, so they really don't need the low cut boot.
now there ARE exceptions to this rule........
Anton Strickland
Diamond Walker
Quinton ?
and I'm sure many other Af. Amer.'s do wear the low cut speed boots......
well........you guessed it ........cuz they JAMSKATE
a very different type of skating than the rythm or "oldschool" type skating....
jammn'beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Dawn

The rink when I was a kid was about 70% black
and 30% other.
My remembrance of the skate boots,
was only the rich white kids had speed boots! LOL!
Or at least that was the interpretation.
We used to ask what in the world kind of skates were those?
Speeeeeeed skates...we were like...ummmm...ok....if you say so and then leave them in the dust.

(I am white, just hung out with the dark crowd)
Old February 28th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #8
Philphine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
The rink when I was a kid was about 70% black
and 30% other.
My remembrance of the skate boots,
was only the rich white kids had speed boots! LOL!
Or at least that was the interpretation.
We used to ask what in the world kind of skates were those?
Speeeeeeed skates...we were like...ummmm...ok....if you say so and then leave them in the dust.

(I am white, just hung out with the dark crowd)
i'd say about the same, somewhere bettween cost and exposure.

i had skated a while before i even noticed speed skates. my first boot skates were steel wheel roller derby's that had an artistic looking boot, as were my next couple of slightly better pairs, pretty much what everyone i knew had. something from a dept. store. by the time i paid attention and noticed speed skates, the only people who had them were white kids who mostly just raced around and didn't bother with what music was playing. so you just kind of figure, "those ain't for me".

that's been a good long time ago though. i eventually brought a pair of speed boots for my outdoor skates (just caught a deal, but still on artistic plates) and may get some for my indoor skates (again, probaly just depend on what deal i find). here recently since i've gone back a few times i still see most blacks my age or older still in their artistic boots and all the younger people black and white mostly in racing type boots. haven't been back on a soul night yet to see how it breaks down.

really more than the boot, i'd wonder about which plate would be better for each style. both my plates are artistic so i don't know how a speed type plate would work.
Philphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brikkee View Post
.... never care for the bigger heel i have thought about using a art boot and cutting the heel down to 1/4 inch and a higher boot just so i can get more support on my calves and this is unheard of lol.
I was actually thinking of the same thing...
I grew up skating art boots now have speed boots..
Was wondering why the heel cannot be altered to fall someplace in the middle of the 2???
Old February 21st, 2008, 03:04 AM   #10
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Close yet different from my experience.

Hi Arizona (AZ-Sk8rsalsero

You know Lynn, aka Sk8mom is out in your turf skating her heart out.
I hope she is working with Chuck growing Jam Skating in your area.

Quote:

Rhythm skating: dancing on skates with an emphasis on shuffle skate moves.!
Jam is a little more than breakdance yet it does have the BreakD element to it in a small portion. With one hand stands it is kind of into gymnastics as well which is not break dance. And yet it adds a little more.

Rhythm is going with the flow of the song and the beat. I would have to really see shuffle skating to see if it is the same as Rythmn.

Quote:
The follow-up question to this is regarding the skate equipment. All 'jamskates' seem to be speed-skates, and 'rhythm skates' seem to be artistic skates.
Jam is speed skates only due to the low boot to provide ankle mobility. You can do the same with art yet have to tie down the tounge. By the Way speed or jam boots are better for Jam due to their design.

Rhythmn is not normally done on full artistic lace tightened boots, it is done with jam or loosened artistic boots again for ankle mobility.

Artistic is great, yet these other types of skating require something different.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; February 21st, 2008 at 03:05 AM. Reason: Name
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:42 PM   #11
sk8rmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hi Arizona (AZ-Sk8rsalsero

You know Lynn, aka Sk8mom is out in your turf skating her heart out.
I hope she is working with Chuck growing Jam Skating in your area.

Jam is a little more than breakdance yet it does have the BreakD element to it in a small portion. With one hand stands it is kind of into gymnastics as well which is not break dance. And yet it adds a little more.

Rhythm is going with the flow of the song and the beat. I would have to really see shuffle skating to see if it is the same as Rythmn.

Jam is speed skates only due to the low boot to provide ankle mobility. You can do the same with art yet have to tie down the tounge. By the Way speed or jam boots are better for Jam due to their design.

Rhythmn is not normally done on full artistic lace tightened boots, it is done with jam or loosened artistic boots again for ankle mobility.

Artistic is great, yet these other types of skating require something different.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave

I agree with you Dave and yes I am trying to help grow the sport in Arizona. Anything goes with WSA though. Be it rhythm, jam, shuffle, disco, etc. Whatever you do counts. There are no compulsorys (sp) in the rules.

I visited Rollero and Greatskate in January and am on my way to Skateland Chandler and Skateland Mesa today.

Arizona State Championship is at Skate Country in Tucson on April 4th. Go to www.wsaevents.com for more info (or keep an eye out at any of the rinks in Arizona since the flyers should be up shortly). It's on the skating events calendar at the top of this page too.