S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old May 15th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #41
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnva View Post
I'll be interested to see what you think of the 297's for freestyle. I personally think you'll like them a lot. Todays skaters seem to go for the more brick hard boots like the Edea Fly, we always used to have freestyle skaters go with a softer boot.

Cheryl i think you will like the 297s, they are a bit stiffer then they use to be but break in quickly.

Bob i think its half and half on todays freestyle skaters, my son used a softer boot, first a 220 and then the 297 for many, many years. i think Josh still uses a 336 but was in the 297, he tried the fly and didnt like them at the time, too restrictive he said.
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:03 AM   #42
cheryl murphy

Quote:
I'll be interested to see what you think of the 297's for freestyle. I personally think you'll like them a lot. Todays skaters seem to go for the more brick hard boots like the Edea Fly, we always used to have freestyle skaters go with a softer boot.
I cannot imagine breaking in a boot that is really stiff. If I decide to really skate, maybe later I would buy a different boot. But, I don't really think so.
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #43
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryl murphy View Post
I cannot imagine breaking in a boot that is really stiff. If I decide to really skate, maybe later I would buy a different boot. But, I don't really think so.

i know what you mean, takes a long time to break in a stiff boot unless you skate all the time and for hours. all you will need is the 297, also if its too high you can always cut it down a bit. make sure you get the right size for your feet also. what size do you wear??
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #44
bobnva

Quote:
Some of the new boots actually have a plastic insert in the sides instead of thick stiff leather. It saves weight and money, but makes it impossible to break in a boot like and all leather one with a nice crease.

The Reidell Silver and Gold Stars have the plastic. The guy at the ice rink we were fitted at said some ice skaters actually break the plastic on landings. Then it's time for a new boot.
bobnva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2008, 01:46 AM   #45
pacificsk8r

Quote:
Hi to all who have decided to come back after a long retirement from skatingand of course hi to all!
Please share your successes and bruises and we can cheer each other along.
I haven't skated since 1987. But that was just teaching skating. I stopped practicing and competing in 1977. So, it has been 21 years at least since I threw a single axel. I skated then for my mom and now I want to skate for me. So, I already have picked out the music for my first cut for a routine and I have practiced a combination and axel. (on the carpet in my bare feet) My combinations were a waltz jump, loop, single mapes and waltz, euler(sp), salchow or single flip. I tried camel positions and my back will not let me invert over. Too tight. So, this is the beginning of my journey. Thank you for the encouraging feedback, Jim and Steve. Now, I gotta bite the bullet and buy some skates for my fat little tootsies!

Hi Cheryl,

And welcome. I haven't written on here in quite a while, but am happy to share in your triumphs and pitfalls. I have had a couple of 20 year hiatus' myself...that gives you a small clue as to my age...old, haha. You don't state your age, but that's great you are doing axel & combinations already. It took me a little longer when I returned, as I wanted to get strong before rushing into something my body couldn't handle or get hurt and not be able to continue on. Did shows. It's funny, the mind recalls, but the body doesn't always cooperate. But in due time, you will be strong enough, and your prior experience will kick in. And, you really can teach an old dog new tricks .

I have had problems with getting my invert back as well. I get over, but can't pull out of it... ha-ha. Yeah, boots have been a consistent problem for me due to these crazy little bunions I've developed over the course of my lifetime . I took this past year off, so I will not compete at regionals this year...but planning for next season though. I will be skating Novice Ladies Freestyle. And I've just started to do some figures for the first time ! Eeek, that's more scary than f.s. No toe stops!!! Look forward to communicating with you. It is definitely a journey worth taking for me, and I'm sure you'll feel the same .
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:38 AM   #46
cheryl murphy

Default 297's

Quote:
I will certainly let you all know how the boots break in. I spoke to a fellow previous skater from the 70's and she asked how much my skates were. I told her $700 something and she about couldn't believe it. I told her that was on the low side too.
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:45 AM   #47
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificsk8r View Post
Hi Cheryl,

And welcome. I haven't written on here in quite a while, but am happy to share in your triumphs and pitfalls. I have had a couple of 20 year hiatus' myself...that gives you a small clue as to my age...old, haha. You don't state your age, but that's great you are doing axel & combinations already. It took me a little longer when I returned, as I wanted to get strong before rushing into something my body couldn't handle or get hurt and not be able to continue on. Did shows. It's funny, the mind recalls, but the body doesn't always cooperate. But in due time, you will be strong enough, and your prior experience will kick in. And, you really can teach an old dog new tricks .

I have had problems with getting my invert back as well. I get over, but can't pull out of it... ha-ha. Yeah, boots have been a consistent problem for me due to these crazy little bunions I've developed over the course of my lifetime . I took this past year off, so I will not compete at regionals this year...but planning for next season though. I will be skating Novice Ladies Freestyle. And I've just started to do some figures for the first time ! Eeek, that's more scary than f.s. No toe stops!!! Look forward to communicating with you. It is definitely a journey worth taking for me, and I'm sure you'll feel the same .
Dear Pacific sk8tr, it is sooo good to hear from you. I want to clarify the axel in combo was in socks on carpet and I cheated the axel 1/4 turn!
I told my hubby I need a bar to invert on....I am not sure if my back will flip. Funny how your body gets out of shape. I think that I will take a picture of my first day on skates. Maybe a video. And then I can put a link to youtube for a journal kind of thing. My heart is in freestyle, but not sure of the body. What is novice? What is the age level and skill level. Since I have been out so long does it matter where I placed previously? I may try a meet in Nov.??????!!!! Good luck on the figures. And thanks for the inspiration.
Old May 21st, 2008, 01:47 AM   #48
cheryl murphy

Pacific Sk8tr, I am 47........and weigh about 30 lbs more than I normally do which is 45 lbs more than I should!!!
Old May 21st, 2008, 07:31 PM   #49
pacificsk8r

Quote:
Dear Pacific sk8tr, it is sooo good to hear from you. I want to clarify the axel in combo was in socks on carpet and I cheated the axel 1/4 turn!
I told my hubby I need a bar to invert on....I am not sure if my back will flip. Funny how your body gets out of shape. I think that I will take a picture of my first day on skates. Maybe a video. And then I can put a link to youtube for a journal kind of thing. My heart is in freestyle, but not sure of the body. What is novice? What is the age level and skill level. Since I have been out so long does it matter where I placed previously? I may try a meet in Nov.??????!!!! Good luck on the figures. And thanks for the inspiration.

Hi Cheryl,

Even an axel on the carpet is a good thing, ha-ha. It took me a while to get up my courage to ever try one. One day I thought in my mind, hey I know how to do this, no problem (that was after I finally got rid of the old Ranalli wheels). Let me just say it wasn't a pretty picture...and it hurt bad! It's gotten much better now, but it did take some time. But it can bea bit hard hard on the bod. But I just love freestyle too. My husband said, well if you go out like this, at least I know you'll died happy. I replied, "yep".

Our division is called Novice B. Why, I don't know, as there isn't even a Novice A as in dance and figures...so we should at least be considered an A event. After all, no one else our age is doing freestyle. But it covers an age bracket consisting of 18 and over. I don't believe there is a criteria for moving up, unless you place at nationals. But I'm not sure even if you have to over a certain age (which is a good thing I suppose). There are specific content requirements. Max. 2 1/2 min routine...which seems like forever sometimes, LOL, 5 jumps any type, 2 of which can be a combination (doubles, singles or 1 1/2), and 3 spins, two of which can be combinations. I just think the age span between 18 and 54 is quite large. Even though I can do the content, it requires a lot more than it does for an 18 year old.

Good luck, just take your time and don't rush it. It'll be great to have the company. Where do you skate out of? You may have said, but I don't always have time to read everything, wish I did.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:13 PM   #50
Jonsk8r

Default I remember Cheryl

I skated Junior dance at the same time as Cheryl and David Hamm. I believe it was 1976. I returned to competitive skating in 2004. I don't kmow if you remember me, my name is Jon McGhee and my partner ws Michele Luxon.
Jonsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM   #51
Ancient1

I now have about 60 total floor hours since I started back several months ago. I am nowhere near where I want to be, but I am making progress. I now have some decent footwork, and my mapes is progressing. Here are the links to the latest 2 vid's on Youtube, they are only a few seconds each. One is my second mapes, which is still not exactly correct. My free leg does scrape the floor (which I need to correct), but it is in a side by side position, and the rotation seems a little smoother as does the landing. Speed is also increasing. The other vid is a footwork loop, which I am pleased as to how good it feels and I like the look. I sill have a ways to go before it is as good as it was 30 years ago, but it is still not bad for the time spent on it.

Footwork loops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1lliGAu21k

Second Mapes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSC12dBqEL4

My knees are really feeling the stress from my weight and the required strength to lift over 270 lbs and rotate, but it is worth it.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Ancient1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:34 AM   #52
cheryl murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsk8r View Post
I skated Junior dance at the same time as Cheryl and David Hamm. I believe it was 1976. I returned to competitive skating in 2004. I don't kmow if you remember me, my name is Jon McGhee and my partner ws Michele Luxon.
Hi Jon! I do remember you all as a team. If I remember right Michelle was really beautiful. I remember you all as being very good. Who was your coach? Did Michelle have an older sister?
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:41 AM   #53
cheryl murphy

Default Finally all the parts!

My boots arrived today! They fit. I have all the pieces to that part of the puzzle. Now I have to find somewhere to have them mounted. My new skating friend, Donna said something to my hubby about Regionals or Nationals and having them mounted there. I want them mounted right here in my house right now!!!

Ancient One, sorry to hear you took a tumble. I am ready to go on the vegitable wagon too. I need to get some (lots of weight off)!
Lets work at it together. Soon I will be able to practice and I hope that helps.
God Bless all of you out there! I am so excited.
Old May 30th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #54
cheryl murphy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
I now have about 60 total floor hours since I started back several months ago. I am nowhere near where I want to be, but I am making progress. I now have some decent footwork, and my mapes is progressing. Here are the links to the latest 2 vid's on Youtube, they are only a few seconds each. One is my second mapes, which is still not exactly correct. My free leg does scrape the floor (which I need to correct), but it is in a side by side position, and the rotation seems a little smoother as does the landing. Speed is also increasing. The other vid is a footwork loop, which I am pleased as to how good it feels and I like the look. I sill have a ways to go before it is as good as it was 30 years ago, but it is still not bad for the time spent on it.

Footwork loops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1lliGAu21k

Second Mapes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSC12dBqEL4

My knees are really feeling the stress from my weight and the required strength to lift over 270 lbs and rotate, but it is worth it.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Jim, I love your video. I am so going to do that when I get my skates set up. You all can be my eyes and give me some pointers!
Jim, Looks like you are over rotating a bit on your mapes and you could use a softer knee for the landing. Your take off looks really good as well as your body position.
Old May 30th, 2008, 02:09 AM   #55
Ancient1

Cheryl,
Good eye on the rotation, but it isn't the wheels over rotating as much as I am opening up and not doing a solid check on the landing, which makes it look like I have over rotated. I find my lack of strength makes it difficult to get a good initial snap which makes me hold the closed position too long and then I am late on opening and not enough strength to push my left arm forward and hold my shoulder square with my hips and ankle. I am sure that as I lose the weight, it will not take as much energy, so I should improve fast. I also need to get that left leg up and in front and not let it touch the gound. I also start my body rotating past square before the feet leave the ground. Bad form, but at least my wheels don't start rotating before they leave the ground. I have a lot wrong, and I have been examining my jumps in extreme detail. Overall I am pleased. By all rights I should not be jumping at this weight and lack of strength and lack of practice, so I am very pleased. I also have a wing flap (arms and shoulders rise and fall on some of my steps). It can be seen at the end of my footwork loop. I have to elimiate that along with a lot of minor things that make me look unpolished.
I am almost ready to attempt a single loop. I think that if I can get the loop down that I can get my left leg up infront of my right leg and get a very nice leg wrap. That will take care of the foot touching on my landing. I just hope I have enough strength to get the height and rotation.

Cheryl, best of luck with the new skates. Have fun relearning how to fly.

Jim (The Ancient One)
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #56
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsk8r View Post
Hey Jon...

Welcome to the Adult zoo! Are you going to give me the opportunity to see you skate another round of those lovely solo dances at Nationals this year? God knows you're going to be needed to help do hair on that great Master's Dance Team this Nationals! <wink>

Mary Lu
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #57
MWehmeier
Skater - Coach SoCal

Default My Skates

Several of you have asked about my new figure skates. Here's the Guest Link to see the new skates http://www.flickr.com/gp/21764092@N00/X5NoN0 We shall not discuss how much we have invested in these rigs.

But then again considering how much the husband just spent this year on his new C350-- I'm cheaper, until he starts getting the AMEX bills for me to go to competitions. Evil snicker.

Mary Lu
MWehmeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2008, 12:53 PM   #58
Ancient1

Mary,
The skates are fantastic. Have fun.
Jim (The Ancient One)
Old May 30th, 2008, 04:15 PM   #59
rwsz

Mary Lu those are great looking skates,,,good for you,,,enjoy.
Old May 30th, 2008, 10:11 PM   #60
Mom2Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWehmeier View Post
Several of you have asked about my new figure skates. Here's the Guest Link to see the new skates http://www.flickr.com/gp/21764092@N00/X5NoN0 We shall not discuss how much we have invested in these rigs.

But then again considering how much the husband just spent this year on his new C350-- I'm cheaper, until he starts getting the AMEX bills for me to go to competitions. Evil snicker.

Mary Lu
Cool. Do you know which rink you'll be skating out of?
Artistic Skate Videos
[URL]www.youtube.com/ArtisticRollerSkatin[/URL]
Mom2Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote