S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum > Inline Artistic
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Inline Artistic Discussions about artistic skating on inline figure skates.

Old February 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #1
picskate

Default Inline Artistic is alive and kicking in Paris!

On February 1, 2009 skaters lined up to compete in the 4th Paris Inline Artistic Open. 38 skaters from France, Spain, Germany, Romania and Cypress competeted. The crowd numberd over 100 and was twice that of last year. The president of the French ice skating federation was also in attendance.

In a nondescript Gymnasium on the south side of Paris on a wooden floor with several soft spots, and marking tape everywhere, the skaters performed mind numbing programs: spins, double jumps,complex footwork sequences were all part of the show.

Coaches and skaters sat in the cry and sigh booth awaiting the judge's scores.

A fan was heard to inquire "Where is the ice?" The skaters prformed at a level one would expect to see from top skaters on ice.

If all this were not enough the winners brought their fellow competitors onto the the podium with them to share in the moment. It was heartfelt joy, smiles abounded, kids hugged each other, and parents soaked it all in.

Was it all worth it? Wow! You bet?

The Paris Open is the brainchild of Jean-Pierre Faugre, president of the Ice and Inline Roller Club of Paris. The efforts of Jean-Pierre and those of his colleagues provided the opportunity for thiose who love skating to share a few moments and, above all, experience the joy of movement and of a shared time.

Last edited by picskate; February 13th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.
picskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #2
Flaviao

ok ,, but "ice rules only" ... bad for roller inline skaters
Flaviao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
picskate

Inline and ice are linear forms of skating.
Pic inline is identical to ice.
The skaters were not peanalized for using their toes at the Paris Open.
The performances at the Paris Open were quite good.

The judges were from the ice disipline.

Last edited by picskate; February 11th, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #4
firefly

Default Please Explain

Ice rules? Please explain (briefly) or cite reference.
Use of toes? Do you mean on landings or takeoffs of edge jumps (loop, salchow). I can fully understand it on takeoffs, but landings would pitch you forward and stop you dead (no flow out or speed out of the jump.)

Very glad to hear we (inline) are popular in France. We also seem to do well in South America , Asia, Australlia and New Zealand......Hopefully, things will improve here in the US, not only with inline, but with all roller sports. (The economic downturn might actually help inline in the US. I have a adult ice skating friend who is thinking of crossing over because she can't affored ice time any more.)
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 06:25 PM   #5
Flaviao

Landing on toe-stops :
Ice inline = OK
Roller inline = Fault

Spin on toe-stops
Ice inline = OK
Roller inline = Fault
Flaviao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #6
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by picskate View Post
Inline and ice are linear forms of skating.
Pic inline is identical to ice.
The skaters were not peanalized for using their toes at the Paris Open.
The performances at the Paris Open were quite good.

The judges were from the ice disipline.

OK, I"m a little confused here, and the notion of 'PIC INLINE being identical to ICE' is a little difficult to comprehend. I appreciate the passion for the discipline, I've been down that road and experienced it first hand too, but we must understand - INLINE under the CIPA banner cannot be misreprsented in a way that disadvantages the skaters long term.. Allow them to use these rules now, and when they get to worlds, they will fail miserably..

Pic skating, if you wish to use that term, is not a discipline. Inline figure skating is a discipline - one that must grow before it is removed from the banner altogether (as we know Italy is pushing for that)..

The use of toe stops in spins and jumps (as widely done already) is something that needs to be addressed, as it is possible to do this without (as demonstrated already).. Inline skating must form its OWN SHAPE, not immitate the ice and fail, or attempt to be roller, when clearly it is not..
But the use of toe stops in a spin is a big flaw.. and one that will be frowned upon for the entire duration of the discipline..

People ask 'where is the ice' all the time, only two days ago at our roller rink, I heard a mother yelling at her young child without skates on "Get off the ICE now, you'll get wet"... OMG!! we are at a roller rink!!!

Just my thoughts..
rolaboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #7
firefly

Flavaio, thaks for the info!
I'm confused, too! Under "ice rules" would landing on the wheels, and spinning on the edges (not toestops) be penalized?
Can't imagine why anyone would deliberately land on a toe stop??!! It is a mistake, (one I tend to make on 2flips ); the result of leaning too far forward on takeoff or breaking at the waist in the air. The landing will pitch the skater forward and he/she will have absolutely no speed or flow out of the jump. (That is if they are not forced to place a hand down to save themselves.)
Picskate, I am glad that the Paris Open was such a success!! Wondering....did Eirc Tranouez, the current World Champion, compete? (And is there any video of the preformance if he did?)
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #8
agathamay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post

People ask 'where is the ice' all the time, only two days ago at our roller rink, I heard a mother yelling at her young child without skates on "Get off the ICE now, you'll get wet"... OMG!! we are at a roller rink!!!

Just my thoughts..
omg no way!!! doesn't it click that wheels and slippery don't mix?!
agathamay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:19 AM   #9
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly View Post
... Wondering....did Eirc Tranouez, the current World Champion, compete? (And is there any video of the preformance if he did?)
I'll ask him for you and for some more feedback..
Old February 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #10
firefly

Thanks, rolaboi!!
Eric is incredible!! I've been studying his videos for technique....and yours, of course!
P.S. Very sorry to hear about the fires. Horrible! Glad you posted. Know you are from Melbourne. Was hoping you were ok.
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #11
picskate

Default toe touchs

What follows is from Nick Perna. Master rated coach, author of several lesson plans for inline and ice. Jump coach to top performers world wide and co-inventer of the Pic skate.

The Pic skate was developed to SIMULATE ice figure skating as closely as possible WITHOUT ICE!

The rocker radius, toe pick configuration, and relevant blade dimensions and angles were designed to replicate an ICE figure blade...NOT a "Rollerblade" or "rollerskate".

Practically every ice skating move has been performed on Pic-Skates by amateur and professionals alike. The use of a toe-pick on takeoffs, landings (the bottom part of the toe-pick touches down first, then the rest of the blade lowers down into the glide out phase) and scratch spins ( thats why they're called that) is standard instruction and execution in the sport of ice figure skating... that is precisely why we have a toe pick in the first place. We certainly don't use it for gliding on!

Judging under ice rules does not reward OR penalize the use of the toe pick for jumping and spinning...the final result of the maneuver being performed is what is evaluated.
Old February 12th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #12
firefly

Interesting.....

Glad there is no penalty under "ice rules" for landing on flats (wheels) and using edges for spins (roller-style).

Agree with rolaboi, inline is not ice or roller but it's own "animal" so to speak, and would suffer for trying to copy either too closely....

"Where is the ice?"
Interesting that ice is always seen as "superior" (even by the roller skaters, and inline skaters themselves).

When I switched to ice, my coach commented that I looked "like a roller skater" out there. I thanked her, but she said not to: It wasn't a compliment.
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #13
jkaplenk
Skating Afficiondo

Smile

The use of toe stops or not had another long thread earlier also. The use of toe picks on ice in landings is encouraged for many jumps. My ice coach complains if I land on the flat and not on the pick. Whereas my roller skating coach complains if I land on the toe on quads, but does not have an issue when I use the toe to land on my inlines. (They also have other differences of teaching that are good in one and bad in the other, but that is another story).

Landing on the flat also puts more stress on the hips and knees whereas landing on the toe and pivoting at the ankle absorbs some of the forces. That is a big thing with the Jackson pivoting boot and University of Delaware research has confirmed this.

I think a problem comes about though that when you land on the ice you can let the toe drag in the ice and while it slows you down the body has enough momentum to keep moving and you less likely to fall. You just tear up the ice, which the zamboni will fix. On rollers and inlines if you land on the toe you are more likely to come to a dead stop unless you master the delicate touch down or a quick touch and release. This is not easy for many skaters, so it is better to just land flat on quads and inlines.

Personally I prefer landing on the toe with a quick release. It is my understanding of the USARS judging is that toe landings are not deducted for inlines, though some judges will still do the deduction. This is from my roller skating coach who has taken skaters to Worlds.

In the U.S. Open the judges are being asked not to deduct for toe landings. (They're also asked to ignore an special consideration for extravagant costumes in free skate -- another topic)

Joe Kaplenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by picskate View Post
What follows is from Nick Perna. Master rated coach, author of several lesson plans for inline and ice. Jump coach to top performers world wide and co-inventer of the Pic skate.

The Pic skate was developed to SIMULATE ice figure skating as closely as possible WITHOUT ICE!

The rocker radius, toe pick configuration, and relevant blade dimensions and angles were designed to replicate an ICE figure blade...NOT a "Rollerblade" or "rollerskate".

Practically every ice skating move has been performed on Pic-Skates by amateur and professionals alike. The use of a toe-pick on takeoffs, landings (the bottom part of the toe-pick touches down first, then the rest of the blade lowers down into the glide out phase) and scratch spins ( thats why they're called that) is standard instruction and execution in the sport of ice figure skating... that is precisely why we have a toe pick in the first place. We certainly don't use it for gliding on!

Judging under ice rules does not reward OR penalize the use of the toe pick for jumping and spinning...the final result of the maneuver being performed is what is evaluated.
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:56 PM   #14
rolaboi
I am Rollerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly
... Wondering....did Eirc Tranouez, the current World Champion, compete? (And is there any video of the preformance if he did?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolaboi View Post
I'll ask him for you and for some more feedback..
Have spoken to Eric and his feelings were very 'mixed'.. and no, he didn't compete..
Old February 14th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #15
firefly

rolaboi,
Thank you for this information. Eric is one of my favorite skaters and I would be going crazy looking all over youtube for his preformance if I thought it was out there...