S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old March 6th, 2011, 02:04 AM   #101
sk8granny

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastskater View Post
Beading:

I was wondering what basics we could get here with pricing. I mean there is a lot of competition on pricing or companies representing the wholesale and retail in the beading internet market.

Might any of you have some facts on pricing and/or amounts with 6mm/144piece per pgk. Starting rate for one company: $17.00-$45.00 now these are bicones Swarovski. Anyone have some input on price comparisons or of their another pricing guide? How about some different styles of beads and also different crystal companies?

If any input on this subject...Please donate!

Seed beads and bugle beads and the flatbacks up next for comparisons.
Try Rhinestones Unlimited, they seem to have the best prices I have seen for Rhinestones, if you can get a group of people to order you can get better prices
sk8granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #102
larryoracing

Smile I saw this post on your most favortie costume. This was my most favorite.

emtdpf you will not believe this.

1) I read your bio on how you got into skating.

2) It started in a skating rink in Monterey, CA. 1980.

a) You mentioned the brother and sister team.

I think I knew who that brother and sister was. Jan & Keith Burchell.

It was my home rink in the 70's.

In fact this costume originally belong to the brother, Keith.

b) The mother cut it down to fit me. He was 6.0 feet. I was 5'6"

It was the best costume I ever had. And at the time was very expensive.
It was silk lined or something. It felt so cool, when you wore it. It was awesome and Mrs. Burchell gave it to me and made it fit me. She was very good at making costumes. She made many for me.

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/la...80613.jpg.html

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #103
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post
emtdpf you will not believe this.

1) I read your bio on how you got into skating.

2) It started in a skating rink in Monterey, CA. 1980.

a) You mentioned the brother and sister team.

I think I knew who that brother and sister was. Jan & Keith Burchell.

It was my home rink in the 70's.

In fact this costume originally belong to the brother, Keith.

b) The mother cut it down to fit me. He was 6.0 feet. I was 5'6"

It was the best costume I ever had. And at the time was very expensive.
It was silk lined or something. It felt so cool, when you wore it. It was awesome and Mrs. Burchell gave it to me and made it fit me. She was very good at making costumes. She made many for me.

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/la...80613.jpg.html

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
lol...stalker....

But.. she was the most beautiful woman that I have have met..and the skated so beautifully, at the moment I said, I could do this..and I acdrually have a 1 piece that is of the same color....or close.....lol

Actually, from what my coach says, she skated against this team....its funny how small a world this is..

Here is last years pic of last years national comp

click on the link!

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...NAME=snapfish/
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #104
larryoracing

Smile I was able access the photo, but I don't recognise the skaters.

lol...stalker....

But.. she was the most beautiful woman that I have have met..and they skated so beautifully, at the moment I said, I could do this..and I actually have a 1 piece that is of the same color....or close.....lol

I hate to admit this, but yes Jan was one heck of a good looking lady. I have not seen her in probably 20 years, but I bet she still is good looking. They say if you want to know what your wife will look like, look at the mother. Jan's mother was quite old and still pretty, when I was skating.

I did not talk to Jan much. She had skated long before I came along and skated long after I left. But she was very good looking and helped me many times when I needed it, during tests and when learning a new dance. In fact, Jan helped everybody...lol! That was expected of any skater who was advanced. That's how you bring people along into the sport and grow it.

Actually, from what my coach says, she skated against this team....its funny how small a world this is..

Like I said, Jan skated years before I and when I came along she was way into her career. For some reason my pro, which was Jan and Kieths pro (the owner of the rink Manual Lopez) decided to move Jan and Kieth up in skating category/competition.

In my days she was probably skating sophmore, but her old partner, along with a whole bunch of other accomplished skaters were moving on with thier lives. Jan waited for her brother, Keith to return from Viet Nam, when he returned he started skating with Jan. For some reason they moved up to Junior. And that was a tough test skating against the best in SoCal, but Jan and Kieth got a 3rd in Junior Dance and went to Nationals. After returning from nationals, they too decided to retire from competition.

It was a strange time for me. I wasn't that good and you really had nobody to follow, because they all had left skating.

Here is last years pic of last years national comp

click on the link!
I don't recognise these skaters. What are their names. Maybe the rink they skate from and the city/state?

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe...A%22s%22%7D%7D

P.S. I hope to run into Jan and Kieth someday. When I did go back home to Northern Ca, I would stop into the rink. Keith always said, I skated just like when I left. Of course I was not jumping and it's easy to Rex in the rink. I was the only one who would do that in all the hundreds of kids at the rink. It was inappropriate to rex and have fun on skates. You were expected to practice and do dance in sessions. I fought that mentality and I was a rebel.
I still fight it today. Out of the four sessions I skated last week, 75% of the skating was just rexing and having a good time on skates. That's why I love skating. I don't have to compete.
Old May 12th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #105
emtdpf

[QUOTE=larryoracing;684513]Here is last years pic of last years national comp

click on the link!
I don't recognise these skaters. What are their names. Maybe the rink they skate from and the city/state?

http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/fe...A%22s%22%7D%7D
QUOTE]

Actually, this is a picture of myself and my skating partner last year at Nationals
Old May 12th, 2014, 08:00 PM   #106
larryoracing

Smile Excellent picture. You guys look text book!

I don't know if you have ever talked to Jan or Keith but I'm sure they would be happy that they inspired you in your skating. I mean that is what it is all about to help new skaters attain their goals and to go to nationals. You have done very well. You're awesome. In fact you guys look so good, that I don't think I would ever want to go to nationals...lol, but I do like to skate and I do like dance/dancing..lol!

1) Do you have any links to any videos of you skating.

2) Just out of curiosity, how did you and your partner come to skate together.

Sincerely,

Larry O
Old May 13th, 2014, 12:57 AM   #107
emtdpf

Quote:
I don't know if you have ever talked to Jan or Keith but I'm sure they would be happy that they inspired you in your skating. I mean that is what it is all about to help new skaters attain their goals and to go to nationals. You have done very well. You're awesome. In fact you guys look so good, that I don't think I would ever want to go to nationals...lol, but I do like to skate and I do like dance/dancing..lol!

1) Do you have any links to any videos of you skating.

2) Just out of curiosity, how did you and your partner come to skate together.

Sincerely,

Larry O
Never talked to either one of them after I moved out of the area, i was stationed on the Presidio, and was only there for a little more than a year...skating links.... I would have to go and look if there is something that I can find......but I usually dont put them out for the public.....but I'll see if I can find something.

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/show...ighlight=donna

Hopefully the above link works....... but, in short, she was at Schenectady, and Angie, liked the way that we looked. Back before I stopped, we used to compete against each other with different partners.....so, kind of Ironic.....

But as of this past saturday, the team has been disolved. One of the dances is not going well for us and its not worth risking life and limb.... so......the end of a very good run. I will miss her as a partner..... especially with only 10 weeks to go before Nationals....... I am going to explore a different division and I will need to kind of learn 5 dances before then..... but I guess no pressure.....Going to try out this Wed with another girl I know and Angie approves of........ so, we'll see what happens......but a challenge for me.... these are all backwards dances.......with a partner..........so........ will keep advised.....
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:43 AM   #108
larryoracing

Default Awesome and fantastic.

emtdpf from the link:

1) You may already have your Gold Metal in dance proficiency.
And possibly you had to take those tests with a partner? So you know what it feels like to skate with a girl in those hard, very hard, the hardest dances...LOL!

2) So you know all your dances, possibly skated them in competition???
Maybe not, but you may have skated those 5 new dances with a partner, already, so you know what the girl is expected to do, where she needs to be in relatioship to you and all the rest..lol! I know you are 10 times the skater that I could ever be...lol! So you know all this stuff already. I'm preaching to the choir..lol!

3) I have read some of your other posts about now having to move up, because you won Nationals. That's a tough deal, but that what it's all about.
That is just the way it is..lol!

4) I never thought about it before, but you may be like Jan and Keith when they moved up to Junior from the Sophomore division. All I can say is if anybody can do it, you probably can.

a) And just think about it. The people who motivated you, Jan and Keith. Now you will actually be able to follow in thier footsteps, feel what they felt like when they had to step it up and learn these harder dances and with a new partner also. When Jan and Kieth started skating together, it was a new experience. They were no longer skating with thier old partners and now they would be moving up to the "Junior" division also on top of that. I never thought about it before but they would be learning new dances and skating them together for the first time. We didn't have any other teams skating Junior division. The rest of us were in the lower divisions. Sophmore, Freshman, etc, etc down the line.

5) I will say this. It did not come easy for them, Jan and Keith. Yes they learned the steps, but they had to learn style. I think that was a little harder for them competing with all those great stylists in Southern, Ca.

a) But I will tell you this. They won out of California, because the team they beat was making some technical errors in their dance. Even though the 4th place team had style, tons of it, Jan and Kieth technical merits were unsurpassed. They went to nationals and the other team had to wait until next year.

Sincerely,

Larry O
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:45 AM   #109
emtdpf

not sure if this will work...http://s1074.photobucket.com/user/em...30eab.mp4.html

click the link? I hope the video comes through
Old May 13th, 2014, 01:55 AM   #110
emtdpf

Quote:
emtdpf from the link:

1) You may already have your Gold Metal in dance proficiency. I took my Gold Medal in 92 and did not pass, very soon after that I had Knee injury that took me out for a while
And possibly you had to take those tests with a partner? So you know what it feels like to skate with a girl in those hard, very hard, the hardest dances...LOL!

2) So you know all your dances, possibly skated them in competition???.. never skated these dances with a partner before... the only one that is familiar is the border blues, all of the others are new to me.
Maybe not, but you may have skated those 5 new dances with a partner, already, so you know what the girl is expected to do, where she needs to be in relatioship to you and all the rest..lol! I know you are 10 times the skater that I could ever be...lol! So you know all this stuff already. I'm preaching to the choir..lol!

3) I have read some of your other posts about now having to move up, because you won Nationals. That's a tough deal, but that what it's all about.
That is just the way it is..lol!funny, when I first came back and went out for the Masters event, i actually went over to my coach and asked if I was in the right fish bowl......but as it turns out.... I was.... I dont question ,y coach any more, I just do it

4) I never thought about it before, but you may be like Jan and Keith when they moved up to Junior from the Sophomore division. All I can say is if anybody can do it, you probably can. lol, thanks for the vote of confidance.... I wont quit, I did the same thing when I first came back.. had to learn 12 new dances, dances that were not around when I stoppped. so I'm always up for the challange and I have a wonderful pep squad / support group including my very supportive wife, .... so all I can do is go for it.....

a) And just think about it. The people who motivated you, Jan and Keith. Now you will actually be able to follow in thier footsteps, feel what they felt like when they had to step it up and learn these harder dances and with a new partner also. When Jan and Kieth started skating together, it was a new experience. They were no longer skating with thier old partners and now they would be moving up to the "Junior" division also on top of that. I never thought about it before but they would be learning new dances and skating them together for the first time. We didn't have any other teams skating Junior division. The rest of us were in the lower divisions. Sophmore, Freshman, etc, etc down the line.

5) I will say this. It did not come easy for them, Jan and Keith. Yes they learned the steps, but they had to learn style. I think that was a little harder for them competing with all those great stylists in Southern, Ca.

a) But I will tell you this. They won out of California, because the team they beat was making some technical errors in their dance. Even though the 4th place team had style, tons of it, Jan and Kieth technical merits were unsurpassed. They went to nationals and the other team had to wait until next year.

Sincerely,

Larry O
Well, Donna, (my ex partner) has been a major inspiration to me since coming back, I had a lot to prove to everyone, including myself, that I deserved to be skating with her...... after placing at Premier Silver last year, that sealed the deal for me.....and this year, the regional commitee, awarded Donna and I with Team of the year..... so others have recognized it also......

Nice talking to you !
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:34 AM   #111
larryoracing

Smile Congradulations on the award. Pretty amazing!

Well, Donna, (my ex partner) has been a major inspiration to me since coming back, I had a lot to prove to everyone, including myself, that I deserved to be skating with her...... after placing at Premier Silver last year, that sealed the deal for me.....and this year, the regional committee, awarded Donna and I with Team of the year..... so others have recognized it also......

Nice talking to you !

P.S. Talking about Jan...lol! She had an excellent figure. She once came out to the swimming pool at regionals in this knockout swimsuit. She was just amazing...

Larry O

P.S. There is a video of Mark Hubble on you tube. I skated against Mark in sophomore singles many moons ago. The video shows you and Donna receiving your awards in Master Dance 2012. That was neat.

Also Jan once asked me a very embarrassing question. She asked me what guys liked. I told her, but was very embarrassed. She ended up marrying the guy she was asking the question about. His name was Larry also. He was a doctor. So if I ever see Larry (Doctor) I'm going to ask if Jan ever wore what what guys liked...lol!

Last edited by larryoracing; May 17th, 2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old May 17th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #112
larryoracing

http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/...pse0ef5a11.jpg

Larry & Anne Henderson

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/la...html?sort=3&o=
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:17 AM   #113
Sir Aaron

I've got to get a costume made for me for figures and dance. Any suggestions? I'd like to get something more....masculine. LOL.
Sir Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:38 PM   #114
emtdpf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Aaron View Post
I've got to get a costume made for me for figures and dance. Any suggestions? I'd like to get something more....masculine. LOL.
Not sure if its about the "Masculine".....

I had the same problem when i came back, mens outfits were just plain, we were not allowed to bling them out. Sometime, in the time that I was gone, bling city happened......

I had a lot of reservations about putting rhinestones on my first jacket, didnt want to. With a lot of engouragement from my wife and coach, i started putting them on, tiny ones, and the followed the pattern of the material that I had used........(ended up with 3-4 gross on it)

The cut of the jacket has got to make you feel good, handsome, and strong.

Material choice is also a big factor.... I have been lucky in my choices, have a remnants place near me, and wife and I scoured all of the bolts......I'll have to find some pics....... one of the materials, I actually had to have the seamstress cut the patterns on an angle to have the material come out straight lined.....

Basic black is always good, get a basic black jacket made and double row rhinestone....... not over blingy, but, not plain either........
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #115
larryoracing

Smile I know this should go on separate post, but

emtdpf are you going to continue skating? I know how you luv it. Glad to see you still posting. All your posts are educational and greatly appreciated.

Larry O and good luck.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:37 PM   #116
rwsz

well you have a lot more options today, you can use sequins and stones and there is nicer material available also. but your still not suppose to show skin.
Old May 29th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #117
emtdpf

Quote:
emtdpf are you going to continue skating? I know how you luv it. Glad to see you still posting. All your posts are educational and greatly appreciated.

Larry O and good luck.
?
I'm not quitting any time soon...lol...

I have a lot of butts to kick, including my own.

Skating Premier silver Solo and premier Gold solo this year, for Nationals, see how that goes.

Wife wants to go back to Albequerque next year again, so I'll hang around at least until then, maybe next year dabble in figures.

I came back to retake and pass my Gold Medal test. I have high hopes.
I may start the solo test this summer see how quickly I can go through those.
maybe dabble in figures, although, I'm not too keen on them.
Maybe take a few more International tests.
Looking forward to next season tryouts for another partner.

And I am currently getting ready to take my #1 test commision, in dance, figures, loops, and freestyle. might even take the speed commision, just to be different.

This summer I'm exploring a new person to make my outfits, again, someone sort of local to me, at least on the way home from Schenectady.

Soooo..... yes I will continue to skate...... and all of the other activities i do.... keep me sane and young......
Old May 30th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #118
larryoracing

Smile emtdpf, thanks for the update. I'm most excited for you

About the possibility for a partner for next year. That's really what skating is all about. Good luck in that. You are very lucky to have family support in that. That's what's truely amazing to me...lol!

I think about a skating outfit, even though I'm not even in a club..lol! There are so many possibitites. When that day comes that will be a lot of fun!

Larry O and my best wishes always.