S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old May 21st, 2018, 07:53 PM   #1
sdcopp

Default Hi Doc, need some boot guidance

Doc, I am returning to quads after 20 yrs off. I've been on hockey inlines since the mid-nineties, so I have a fair understanding of proper skate fit and my foot shape. Average heel, wide forefoot and med-high volume.

I am looking at the Mota Carbon as well as Bont Protege or Hybrid Carbon as options. At 230 lbs I tend to flex softer outsoles so I'm trying to stick with carbon outsole options.

My feet measure Left L-271 W-109, Right L-269 W-111 which according to manufacturer size charts puts me in 8.5 Wide Bont or 10 Mota

Is there a recommendation of one above the others with these three, or a brand I've overlooked?

Thank you
sdcopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2018, 04:00 PM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Before I get into recommending...

What do you plan on doing??
Old May 28th, 2018, 05:29 PM   #3
sdcopp

For now just general session skating, a little shuffle/jam. Ideally if any sort of men's derby gets organized locally then that as well.
Old May 29th, 2018, 04:55 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Now I got something to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcopp View Post
For now just general session skating, a little shuffle/jam. Ideally if any sort of men's derby gets organized locally then that as well.
OK I have been wearing and selling Bonts since they got back into the quad game. I have not heard about a whole lot of great initial results with the other brand mentioned.

Flexing of the sole can be more related to the shape of the plate than the actual sole itself.. Of course how hard one sk8s can also be a big factor. I don't beat my sk8s so I cannot sweat that other soles would work as well for you as the have form (even when I was up to 140.

Now as far as your plans. I do not fit rec boots the same way I fit derby boots. I make sure derby boots are as snug as possible to prevent sliding in the boot. (Derby seems to be played way more on the stops than any other kind of sk8ing, a relaxed fit will let your toes slam on the end of the boot.) Rec sk8s I do a bit more relaxed fit.

Oh, Bonts will insure your wide fore foot is accommodated properly. Also note Riedell does have an awesome selection of lasting options now. Unlike the past where you got a medium width (That is all most rinks stocked and they were not on the ball enough to know there were narrow and wide versions of the old Alpha last. ) and had to live with it. They can fit you up right well without having to go full custom. Unfortunately, the only 21st Century (composite) sole comes on the Solaris and it is lasted C/AA Medium fore foot and very narrow heel. Any other fit and the Solaris becomes a full custom w/ a leather sole as of now.

So what do you think @ this point??
Old May 29th, 2018, 07:50 PM   #5
sdcopp

I appreciate the insight Doc, I've played hockey for the last 20+ years so I'm more accustomed to and more comfortable in the tighter, performance fit than a rec fit.

I wore Bont Sharkie boots for inline speed in the late nineties, so I have at least a vague familiarity with Bonts products, just not sure of the fit differences between the Hybrid Carbon and Protege, or any advantages of one over the other.

Mota caught my attention due to the owners and their industry experience. I've seen a couple reports about outsoles separating, but also that they've done a couple iterations of the product to help stop those issues.

In both cases though I don't know enough about either brand to make any intelligent decision as all the information is second hand, and most skaters I know locally are on Vanilla or Riedell.

I don't have a solid shop for either Bont or Mota, so either way it's an order online and pray scenario. Cost is close for both, so that's a non-factor for me. If I go Bont, I'll probably go with an Athena plate, Mota I'll go with a Boss plate just to get a package either way all at once.

I was debating between the two Bont boots before I even became aware of Mota, and Bont is my stronger preference unless there's a reason to consider Mota in the conversation. Fitting my fat hobbit feet is job one though.

Since you've been dealing more with Bont, what would the real world differences in fit be between the Hybrid Carbon and Protege? I know the counter is lower in the Protege, but not much else.
Old May 31st, 2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcopp View Post
I appreciate the insight Doc, I've played hockey for the last 20+ years so I'm more accustomed to and more comfortable in the tighter, performance fit than a rec fit.

Certainly helpful that.

I wore Bont Sharkie boots for inline speed in the late nineties, so I have at least a vague familiarity with Bonts products, just not sure of the fit differences between the Hybrid Carbon and Protege, or any advantages of one over the other.

Have you looked @ the Bont Quad Racer??

Mota caught my attention due to the owners and their industry experience. I've seen a couple reports about outsoles separating, but also that they've done a couple iterations of the product to help stop those issues.

Interesting...

In both cases though I don't know enough about either brand to make any intelligent decision as all the information is second hand, and most skaters I know locally are on Vanilla or Riedell.

Not surprising. I imagine all the local rinks have RC Sports catalogs??

I don't have a solid shop for either Bont or Mota, so either way it's an order online and pray scenario. Cost is close for both, so that's a non-factor for me. If I go Bont, I'll probably go with an Athena plate, Mota I'll go with a Boss plate just to get a package either way all at once.

UH, that is NOT a good way to go. Maybe you should shoot me a PM??

I was debating between the two Bont boots before I even became aware of Mota, and Bont is my stronger preference unless there's a reason to consider Mota in the conversation. Fitting my fat hobbit feet is job one though.

And that is where Bont has the upper hand. I have no use for boots that cannot be sized to a sk8rs feet. So I go Bonts for the folks that want light and less than conventional and Riedell for the folks that are more into OG.

Since you've been dealing more with Bont, what would the real world differences in fit be between the Hybrid Carbon and Protege? I know the counter is lower in the Protege, but not much else.
No real fit difference on any of the Bont boot models you mentioned (unless they get built that way). All built on the same lasts. Plus, it is quite easy and cost effective to deal with things like hobbit feet or other unusual feet features. Like I said, drop me a PM. I'm 100% certain I can get you where you want to be.