S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Other Forums > Humor Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Humor Forum Share a humorous article, your favorite joke or a funny story.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #1
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default Riding a Dead Horse

Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you’re riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However in business we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following;
  1. Buy a stronger whip.
  2. Change riders.
  3. Threaten the horse with termination.
  4. Say things like, “This is the way we have always ridden this horse.”
  5. Appoint a committee to study the horse.
  6. Arrange to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
  7. Lower the standards so that dead horses can be included.
  8. Appoint a tiger team to revive the dead horse.
  9. Ride the dead horse “outside the box.”
  10. Buy a commercial off-the-shelf dead horse.
  11. Create a training session to increase our riding ability.
  12. Reclassify the dead horse as “living-impaired.”
  13. Compare the state of dead horses in today’s environment.
  14. Change the autopsy report to declare that “This horse is not dead.”
  15. Kill all the other horses, so this one will look the same.
  16. Name the dead horse “Paradigm Shift” and keep riding it.
  17. Ride the dead horse “smarter” not harder.
  18. Hire outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
  19. Harness several dead horses together for increased speed.
  20. Do a time management study to see if the lighter riders would improve productivity.
  21. Declare that “No horse is too dead to beat.”
  22. Call the dead horse a “joint venture” and let others ride it.
  23. Provide additional funding to increase the horse’s performance.
  24. Do a cost analysis study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.
  25. Purchase an aftermarket product to make dead horses run faster.
  26. Declare the horse is “better, faster, and cheaper” dead.
  27. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.
  28. Declare that “This horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.”
  29. Get the horse a Web site.
  30. Promote the horse to a supervisory position.

Unfortunately some of you may be experiencing some of these on the job right now.
__________________
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default Nothing exists - except in language...

By you titling this thread "Riding a Dead Horse" you take a stand against your (or some hypothetical) company, idea, or whatever... that presupposes it to be terminally ill or even past that stage.

By taking this stand in your choosing this title, you set your energy in the direction of being right with holding this opinion. Thus you create a reality where what can show up will only be evidence which supports your assessment.

Learn about how language creates reality from the works of Fernando Flores:
http://www.fastcompany.com/36313/power-words

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #3
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It
 
swolltitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 1,488
Default

Or you can take 1 moment to realize its in the humor forums so you should understand its not to be take seriously. Learn how to read between the lines at www.iwanttogobackto1stgrade.com
__________________
Riedell 395 Redline, Ultimate III, Bones Swiss, Ultimate Weapons
Bont Jet, XTech IS, Bones Swiss, Hyper G Truth
swolltitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:03 AM   #4
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It
 
swolltitan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Alpharetta, GA
Posts: 1,488
Default

Don't click the link, not sure where you will go...
__________________
Riedell 395 Redline, Ultimate III, Bones Swiss, Ultimate Weapons
Bont Jet, XTech IS, Bones Swiss, Hyper G Truth
swolltitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #5
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

The language of humor reflects our resignation to so many of the things in our lives, the experience of which, we would have rather avoided. With laughter though, we manage better to handle or tolerate them.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #6
bjvircks
Major Trouble
 
bjvircks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,726
Default

I'm currently being forced to use a combination of 19 & 21
__________________
Quando omni flunkus, moritati
bjvircks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
By you titling this thread "Riding a Dead Horse" you take a stand against your (or some hypothetical) company, idea, or whatever... that presupposes it to be terminally ill or even past that stage.

By taking this stand in your choosing this title, you set your energy in the direction of being right with holding this opinion. Thus you create a reality where what can show up will only be evidence which supports your assessment.

Learn about how language creates reality from the works of Fernando Flores:
http://www.fastcompany.com/36313/power-words

-Armadillo
Hey, it's all in the words, if you are going to do anything at all. All of our thoughts are formed initially from words. So much so that the words become more important than what we're seeing. This is why you can look at something and not even see it, because of the words that are already in your mind. You can look right at something happening and call it something else, because that is the way the words have been formed in your mind to describe what you're looking at.
__________________
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:54 PM   #8
Armadillo
Senior Member
 
Armadillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, Near the Lake
Posts: 6,537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Hey, it's all in the words, if you are going to do anything at all. All of our thoughts are formed initially from words. So much so that the words become more important than what we're seeing. This is why you can look at something and not even see it, because of the words that are already in your mind. You can look right at something happening and call it something else, because that is the way the words have been formed in your mind to describe what you're looking at.
The seriousness of humor as a counterpoint to the humor of taking oneself too seriously, is also something worth considering.

-Armadillo
__________________
Rollin' on AIR
Armadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
The seriousness of humor as a counterpoint to the humor of taking oneself too seriously, is also something worth considering.

-Armadillo
Hey, nothing has meaning unless it has meaning...if you get what I mean.
__________________
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #10
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 6,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Dakota tribal wisdom says that when you discover you’re riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount. However in business we often try other strategies with dead horses, including the following;
  1. Buy a stronger whip.
  2. Change riders.
  3. Threaten the horse with termination.
  4. Say things like, “This is the way we have always ridden this horse.”
  5. Appoint a committee to study the horse.
  6. Arrange to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
  7. Lower the standards so that dead horses can be included.
  8. Appoint a tiger team to revive the dead horse.
  9. Ride the dead horse “outside the box.”
  10. Buy a commercial off-the-shelf dead horse.
  11. Create a training session to increase our riding ability.
  12. Reclassify the dead horse as “living-impaired.”
  13. Compare the state of dead horses in today’s environment.
  14. Change the autopsy report to declare that “This horse is not dead.”
  15. Kill all the other horses, so this one will look the same.
  16. Name the dead horse “Paradigm Shift” and keep riding it.
  17. Ride the dead horse “smarter” not harder.
  18. Hire outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
  19. Harness several dead horses together for increased speed.
  20. Do a time management study to see if the lighter riders would improve productivity.
  21. Declare that “No horse is too dead to beat.”
  22. Call the dead horse a “joint venture” and let others ride it.
  23. Provide additional funding to increase the horse’s performance.
  24. Do a cost analysis study to see if contractors can ride it cheaper.
  25. Purchase an aftermarket product to make dead horses run faster.
  26. Declare the horse is “better, faster, and cheaper” dead.
  27. Form a quality circle to find uses for dead horses.
  28. Declare that “This horse was procured with cost as an independent variable.”
  29. Get the horse a Web site.
  30. Promote the horse to a supervisory position.

Unfortunately some of you may be experiencing some of these on the job right now.
Pfft. What job? Most horses, dead or otherwise, are no longer in this country.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Pfft. What job? Most horses, dead or otherwise, are no longer in this country.
Shame isn't it?
__________________
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #12
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman
 
Foot2big's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 7,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
I'm currently being forced to use a combination of 19 & 21

Hah....#18 and 22 myself.
__________________
An early-morning skate is a blessing for the whole day.
Henry David Foot2big Thoreau
Foot2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #13
quantoo
Senior Member
 
quantoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,318
Default Autism symptum number 1

An inability to understand sarcasm.And an ability to take everything literally.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #14
Edward Williams
Still Learning...
 
Edward Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,795
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
An inability to understand sarcasm.And an ability to take everything literally.
Hey man...some people, you know? Overlook it...just overlook it...
__________________
De gustibus non est disputandum.
Edward Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:38 PM   #15
quantoo
Senior Member
 
quantoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,318
Default yeah im guilty also

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Williams View Post
Hey man...some people, you know? Overlook it...just overlook it...
nobodys perfect hey and we cant change anything with words or any other method. may as well overlook or accept ,warts and all
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2013, 06:26 PM   #16
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS
 
RS Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,102
Default Re: Autism symptom number 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
An inability to understand sarcasm.And an ability to take everything literally.
My 24 year old son with severe autism would surprise you with the sarcastic things he can both understand and say.
__________________
David A. VanBelleghem

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #17
quantoo
Senior Member
 
quantoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,318
Default probably

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS Dave View Post
My 24 year old son with severe autism would surprise you with the sarcastic things he can both understand and say.
at what age did he start to understand sarcasm?
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #18
RS Dave
YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS
 
RS Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brantford, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
at what age did he start to understand sarcasm?
Probably about age 5. I would just say something offhandedly not thinking he would understand and he would start laughing. I have to watch what I say around him because he's like a human tape recorder and will start repeating things at inopportune times.
__________________
David A. VanBelleghem

"Of course I talk to myself. It's nice to talk to somebody sane."
RS Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.