S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old December 27th, 2017, 10:01 PM   #1
Sk8tCat

Smile Refurbishing 1985 women's 297s

Hi Doc,

I'm new here. Like many, I'm coming back to skating after some decades away.

To save a few hundred dollars to get back into it, I ordered some vintage 297s from ebay (sent pics to Riedell, they said they are from 1985) and am trying to make the myriad decisions to assemble them into a skate that will get me out of rentals. The questions I have come up with are:

* The tongue foam is disintegrated and I'm wondering whether I can just give these to my local cobbler to re-line or is it better to send them back to Riedell to have this work done?

* These came mounted on Cleveland Skate Co Gloria Nord branded Model 200 plates. Are these worth refurbishing in any way? I kind of imagined I would get some posh new plates, but wanted to check. (Kwitite FoMac wheels.) One of the axles spins when I try to unscrew the axle nut, so I haven't figured out how to get 2 of the wheels off...

* Can you make some plate and wheel suggestions for me? I have a feeling I've never skated on higher-end plates and would like to try something better than I had as a kid (suspect it was whatever came standard on my figure boots, whose maker I don't remember) without getting something I either couldn't tell the difference in or wouldn't be able to handle. I'd like to be able to do more weaving back and forth, but I still want to go fast. I'm very confused about all this standard vs short plates, single vs double action, clicking vs non-clicking, forward vs. standard mount, 7mm vs. 8mm axles, and the varying kingpin angles, and don't know exactly where to start. After reading up for a few weeks, I have been looking at everything from the Sure-Grip Classic or the Roll Line Variant to the Snyder Advantage. I'm likely to keep the toe-stop option. Here's my skating background:

Mom was a NYC ice figure skater from the 30s to the 60s and put us kids on ice skates from about age 2 forwards (pond in back yard). Roller rink from about age 4, I think. I had some "artistic" roller training (we used to call it all "figure skating") around age 6-8, but was mostly a session/pond skater up until college. At college I didn't like the local rink (U-shaped??!) and stopped skating. After college I eventually gave in and got roller blades, but I've never been crazy about it. I've also gone ice skating a few times, on rentals. So, mostly a big break for 35 years with just enough sporadic skating to keep my skills intact. I guess now I'm mostly a fast-ish "shuffle skater," (which we used to just call... "skating" when I was a kid,) but I'd also like to learn this jam skating in the center thing (but I'll always prefer forward motion and wind, I think.) I'm not planning on doing any major jumping but I have found occasion to jump over limbs of people who wipe out right in front of me (eek!) I'm female, 5'6", 130 lbs.

It seems wheels have changed a lot since I was a kid, too. As a kid I skated on those hard brown clickety ball-bearing wheels on rentals in the late 1960s on an uncoated wood floor, then All American Dreams on figure boots on the same floor in the early 70s and some weird much-hated blue plastic floor in the late 70s/early 80s. The 2 floors I'll skate on now are "wood with a traction coating" and maple with no coating. The current rentals at the "traction coating" rink are Radar 95A (it's the brown Reidel rentals) and I appreciate the grip as I start back but they are not what I am used to in terms of T-stopping and moving my feet around on the floor during shuffling (or it's the "traction" floor?). The rentals at the uncoated floor are excrutiating and I can't go back there until I have my own skates again, so it's hard for me to judge what I need there. I'm wondering if there are wheels that will give me a little more freedom to move my feet and do a proper T-stop and still give a little grip for both these floor surfaces. I want to be able to do 3-turns comfortably and so forth. Also wondering if there is such a wheel, or am I going to have to have 2 sets for these 2 surfaces.

Thank you for any guidance or suggestions you have. Much appreciated!
Sk8tCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8tCat View Post
Hi Doc,

I'm new here. Like many, I'm coming back to skating after some decades away.

To save a few hundred dollars to get back into it, I ordered some vintage 297s from ebay (sent pics to Riedell, they said they are from 1985) and am trying to make the myriad decisions to assemble them into a skate that will get me out of rentals. The questions I have come up with are:

* The tongue foam is disintegrated and I'm wondering whether I can just give these to my local cobbler to re-line or is it better to send them back to Riedell to have this work done?

* These came mounted on Cleveland Skate Co Gloria Nord branded Model 200 plates. Are these worth refurbishing in any way? I kind of imagined I would get some posh new plates, but wanted to check. (Kwitite FoMac wheels.) One of the axles spins when I try to unscrew the axle nut, so I haven't figured out how to get 2 of the wheels off...

* Can you make some plate and wheel suggestions for me? I have a feeling I've never skated on higher-end plates and would like to try something better than I had as a kid (suspect it was whatever came standard on my figure boots, whose maker I don't remember) without getting something I either couldn't tell the difference in or wouldn't be able to handle. I'd like to be able to do more weaving back and forth, but I still want to go fast. I'm very confused about all this standard vs short plates, single vs double action, clicking vs non-clicking, forward vs. standard mount, 7mm vs. 8mm axles, and the varying kingpin angles, and don't know exactly where to start. After reading up for a few weeks, I have been looking at everything from the Sure-Grip Classic or the Roll Line Variant to the Snyder Advantage. I'm likely to keep the toe-stop option. Here's my skating background:

Mom was a NYC ice figure skater from the 30s to the 60s and put us kids on ice skates from about age 2 forwards (pond in back yard). Roller rink from about age 4, I think. I had some "artistic" roller training (we used to call it all "figure skating") around age 6-8, but was mostly a session/pond skater up until college. At college I didn't like the local rink (U-shaped??!) and stopped skating. After college I eventually gave in and got roller blades, but I've never been crazy about it. I've also gone ice skating a few times, on rentals. So, mostly a big break for 35 years with just enough sporadic skating to keep my skills intact. I guess now I'm mostly a fast-ish "shuffle skater," (which we used to just call... "skating" when I was a kid,) but I'd also like to learn this jam skating in the center thing (but I'll always prefer forward motion and wind, I think.) I'm not planning on doing any major jumping but I have found occasion to jump over limbs of people who wipe out right in front of me (eek!) I'm female, 5'6", 130 lbs.

It seems wheels have changed a lot since I was a kid, too. As a kid I skated on those hard brown clickety ball-bearing wheels on rentals in the late 1960s on an uncoated wood floor, then All American Dreams on figure boots on the same floor in the early 70s and some weird much-hated blue plastic floor in the late 70s/early 80s. The 2 floors I'll skate on now are "wood with a traction coating" and maple with no coating. The current rentals at the "traction coating" rink are Radar 95A (it's the brown Reidel rentals) and I appreciate the grip as I start back but they are not what I am used to in terms of T-stopping and moving my feet around on the floor during shuffling (or it's the "traction" floor?). The rentals at the uncoated floor are excrutiating and I can't go back there until I have my own skates again, so it's hard for me to judge what I need there. I'm wondering if there are wheels that will give me a little more freedom to move my feet and do a proper T-stop and still give a little grip for both these floor surfaces. I want to be able to do 3-turns comfortably and so forth. Also wondering if there is such a wheel, or am I going to have to have 2 sets for these 2 surfaces.

Thank you for any guidance or suggestions you have. Much appreciated!
you can get the a new tongue put on them from riedell or u can take the rest of the old one off and get some lamb type tongue its furry which most of the 297s have now or order the foam and use a cobbler type glue and put it on yourself. Doc might have some better ideas or even what u need when he comes on.
Old December 28th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Like Rick Says...

I have repaired speed boots all 3 ways.... Back to Riedell, new foam or shearing...

Now lets talk about your Cleveland 200s. The OG NTS plates?? I love 'em. Snyders on the cheap, and there are a couple of different trucks so you can do all sorts of interesting things w/ the suspension. If they are the later version w/ the same size upper and lower cushions, standard SG parts will work. I put Snyder Royal reverse king pin in mine to make adjusting them easier.

Tell ya what. shoot me a PM. I think I can help ya with a lot of this since I actually have Cleveland 200 trucks and parts about. I'm sure we can swap out the loose ball axle trucks for some that work w/ modern bearings.