S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #301
Bright Eyes
Senior Member
 
Bright Eyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 125
Default

These skates are amazing - there's so much history to the sport of skating - you guys have got me really interested!
__________________
Skates on my feet
Bright Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:32 AM   #302
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Mike:

Good to see your post. So you liked a fresh set of Split Woods, crafted by the same hands that are typing this note to you??? Brings back some good memories....

I first met your Mom and Dad at Rollerama, perhaps in 1957-58?? They were skating for Jim and Millie Ferris in Sr Dance then. In '59, Wal Cliffe burnt down. We skated NY States at Mineola instead as they had the bye if the primary rink could not take the meet....I recall taking your Dads skates home and cleaned his bearings for him one time, he was amazed how much better the roll once I got all the junk out of his bearings (Very big grin here)...

I would see them over at Park Circle and Empire at all the D&F contests during the year....

By the time we had C&L going, I would be out to New Wal Cliffe just about 3-4 times a month dropping off orders of new equipment, for the pro shop.

You skated some of our Outdoor meets at Staten Island did you not??

How are yoru parents?? Please give my regards....

Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
My name's Mike Kennedy from Long Island, NY. I was on the speed team with the unidentified kids in the photo. It's the Wal Cliffe Speed Team from Elmont, NY. Bobby Lee is seated in front of the rail. Left to right are Steve Mataix, Connie Magnus (Everett & Betty Magnus' daughter - Park Circle), Dean Mauro (Joey & Marie Mauro' son - coaches - won Freshman Boys that year I believe & placed in relays also), Ellen Lee, and Christina Santa Donato. The Wal Cliffe team had great success that year with several places in the Freshman individual & relay events.

I put an intro up on the artistic skating intro thread, as my parents, sisters & I were more involved in the artstic skating end of it.

I know there are several people here who will undoubtedly know my family - Donald & Lorraine Kennedy are my parents, and my sisters Maureen & Peggy.

I remember Richie (Splitwoods) from year's ago. Nothing like getting that fresh set from C & L. I also remember the experimental pink double split plastic wheels we used. Those were great.

When I found this site, I just wanted to join to tell everyone thanks for the many years of fun I had in skating, and I look forward to getting in touch with people I have missed through the years.

Mike
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:39 AM   #303
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Bob......you looking for a sales commission?? He He....sorry got none to sell...

Virgil and I spoke many time about Basswood, it was the best we grew here and had some skating properties similiar to the NZ pine we imported, but it was softer and would yield cracks prematurely...the NZ pine was just about as close to perfection in Roll and Grip properties on a bare wood floor as you could ask for.....now if the floor was extra tight, the Beadle would outperform it but if it got slick the sycamore would do you in....

Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbob View Post
yep and i've seen em! good stuff maynard. xl i sent tremor a pm and asked him to return tony's tapes to you at are meet in march! you are going right. lets get tony back his tapes! come on tremor! and billy ray i sent you an email and a pm. i think i know you from kentwood, and some of the battlecreek boys! good days! anyone but me remember virgil dooleys bass wheels, and labeda's (precision sports)! five milers and sprinters, not as good as splitwoods but good none the less.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:41 AM   #304
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Default

HiYa Tracy:

I know I have been AWOL for a while.....how you been??

Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlracer View Post
Hey Rhettro back in those days it was skate on what ever you had.
Billy Ray, splitwoods (Richard Levine) was the guy that made Bostick.
He has not been on the board in a while. I need to shoot him an email and check on him.
I skated on all of it. Back in those days if you had a lathe, you could turn your own wheels if you could find good wood. I skated on some home made stuff. My dad had a buddy that was a machinist but we never could get our hands on wood that would hold up to the stress of racing. He could turn some good wheels. I also skated on C&L Splitwoods, Rollas, Jim Cooks, Dexters, Beadles and Big D's. Oh yea I also skated on wheels from Mr Small and the Roycraft Brothers. You can see from my Avatar I still have some. The wheels in the pic are a set of C&L Splitwoods and they have never touched a floor. They are in perfect condition and will stay that way. They are mounted on an XL and an Oberhamer 61BR with Grabber toe stops. If you raced in the 70's you know that was a fine skate in its day.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:48 AM   #305
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Ted:

I have a sneaking suspicion the stands to which you refer sitting in, was the Arena Gardens at Nationals, the year was 1959, and we both watched John lap the field not once but twice! It was the most amazing domination of a race at that level I ever saw in all my years of racing, John trained with us that entire year and he was never in better shape than 59, the same year he won Worlds in New Zealand as well....

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYSK8 View Post
Back in those days, the Senior Men's 5-mile was an open race. No heats, all 27 competitors at the Nationals all at once. I remember sitting in the stands and watching John Drewry pass the ENTIRE pack on one straightaway!
He might have used one or two steps to do so! Absolutely awesome!
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 09:48 PM   #306
mkmkenn
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Mike:

Good to see your post. So you liked a fresh set of Split Woods, crafted by the same hands that are typing this note to you??? Brings back some good memories....

I first met your Mom and Dad at Rollerama, perhaps in 1957-58?? They were skating for Jim and Millie Ferris in Sr Dance then. In '59, Wal Cliffe burnt down. We skated NY States at Mineola instead as they had the bye if the primary rink could not take the meet....I recall taking your Dads skates home and cleaned his bearings for him one time, he was amazed how much better the roll once I got all the junk out of his bearings (Very big grin here)...

I would see them over at Park Circle and Empire at all the D&F contests during the year....

By the time we had C&L going, I would be out to New Wal Cliffe just about 3-4 times a month dropping off orders of new equipment, for the pro shop.

You skated some of our Outdoor meets at Staten Island did you not??

How are yoru parents?? Please give my regards....

Racer

I did skate at the outdoor Staten Island meets. What a big track, as I remember. I also remember something about a helicopter blowing the water off the rink after a rain storm, but that could just be an urban legend.

I also skated many times against the younger Donn C. throughtout the Eastern Region meets.

I really did grow up in a rink & took to speed skating when I went to Wal-Cliffe. I had skated speed before, but Joey & Marie Mauro really knew what a team concept was to speed skating, and that really appealed to me.

Sad to say, my dad passed away in 1985 - way too young. My mom is still living on Long Island; she had been teaching with Gail Keischer in Lynbrook up until a few years ago. I had been teaching with her & Andy DeVito at South Amboy for awhile too. She does a lot of travelling & spends a lot of time with the grandchildren (she has 5).

Now, if you remember the pink double split plastic wheels we used - I'm just curious about the story behind them. I remember having to take the markings off them with acetone. And they were supposed to replace the wood wheels with Bostic for plastic floors.

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2009, 11:55 PM   #307
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Mike:

It is I Richard!

First let me clear up a little confusion. When I first started to post here I used my screen name all knew me by from the Speed Skating web site, "Racer", you can see many of my posts both here and on the other site..

I had a computer crash, lost my hard drive, and when I came back for some reason neither site would recognize my old screen name no matter what I did to sign on, I finally gave up and took the easy route and switched to "Split Woods" and walla, I was in and could start to post under the new name..

It does confuse some! When I came back again this time from an illness, same thing happened, so I tried Racer and it recognized that one, so bottom line, I have used both! Calvano has not posted to either of these 2 sites to my knowledge.

Now onto your post, Mike I am very sad to hear about your Dad passing, I had no way of knowing, sorry....kindly extend to your lovely Mom, my warmest regards, and my belated condolences.....I attended many State, Regional and National Championships with them thru the years, well before you were born!!

I knew Joe and Marie Mauro from their Eastern Parkway and Empire days in the 50's! Then Levittown and Bay Shore and finally when they cmae over to coach at Wal Cliffe!

Everett and Connie from Park Circle and then New Wal Cliffe after it reopened!! When Donn and I wanted to run our outdoor meets in SI, I sat down with Everett and John Casas, and they were very supportive....as you know...

Far as the Chopper pushing some water off the track, you are correct it did happen, one time. I flew with the US Marine Airwing out of Flloyd Bennet Field, made one call and they were there to help us out!!! In future years, when we needed to dry things out, we pushed squeegees around the old fashioned way!!! The track was 12 laps to a mile. I laid out a 10 lap track, also but we liked the 12 lap better....

Gail is an old friend of mine, did I see somewhere recently she moved to Florida to teach down there?? If you have an email addy for her, I would like to get in touch and say hi....

I knew that Andy has passed away, they have a website deovted to him with his life story and many pics posted. Chester gave a moving history of his relationship with Andy....I by coincidence worked with Andy at Sterns Dept Store in 1962-63! (It was located on 42nd st near 5th Ave in NYC across the street from the Library) He was the Sales Mgr in the Music Dept, selling Pianos and Organs, and I worked on the same floor managing the Sporting Goods Dept!!
Back then he played at Hillside for Eddie O Neil!!!

We closed down C&L in '75...those wheels to which you refer came out afterwards. It may have been a composite that John Espositio had worked on. Tracy on this site can give us some detail on those wheels with the double splits....

Would like to meet you one day Mike, I do recall your parents bringing you to the rink, when you were a new born!

Just a few years have passed since then......

Thsi should help fill in some blanks....

Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
I did skate at the outdoor Staten Island meets. What a big track, as I remember. I also remember something about a helicopter blowing the water off the rink after a rain storm, but that could just be an urban legend.

I also skated many times against the younger Donn C. throughtout the Eastern Region meets.

I really did grow up in a rink & took to speed skating when I went to Wal-Cliffe. I had skated speed before, but Joey & Marie Mauro really knew what a team concept was to speed skating, and that really appealed to me.

Sad to say, my dad passed away in 1985 - way too young. My mom is still living on Long Island; she had been teaching with Gail Keischer in Lynbrook up until a few years ago. I had been teaching with her & Andy DeVito at South Amboy for awhile too. She does a lot of travelling & spends a lot of time with the grandchildren (she has 5).

Now, if you remember the pink double split plastic wheels we used - I'm just curious about the story behind them. I remember having to take the markings off them with acetone. And they were supposed to replace the wood wheels with Bostic for plastic floors.

Mike
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #308
mkmkenn
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 37
Default

Richard,

It is like a trip through the past. Isn't this internet thing great!

My mom is returning from a trip tomorrow, and I will be sure to pass along your regards. I will also attempt to find out if Gail has an e-mail address. Mom may have it.

I still live on Long Island. My sister's are in PA & NJ. My Mom still talks to Chester fairly regularly, and she saw him at a South Amboy reunion a couple of months ago.

Great story about Andy. What a great guy he was. Always had a smile, a laugh, and a good story. I really enjoyed getting to know him as an "adult" and not just a little kid at the rink.

What's really interesting looking back on it is that I was a "little kid" back then, but I knew everyone. At Wal-Cliffe's Christmas Parties, I used to hand out the cards & gifts because I knew everyone. I remember you coming to WalCliffe speed practices with our wheels, etc. like it was yesterday. I guess my parents really helped me appreciate the history of it all, because I could walk up to the "old timers" you mention, say hello, and carry on a long conversation about people who I only knew as a small child.

It truly is great to hear from you. I was hoping to hear from some people on here who would remember my parents & us, and just rekindle the love we had for a sport for so many years.

BTW, thinking about those wheels, I think they may have been Ranalli's. Light pink, double shallow splits. I loved those wheels.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Mike:

It is I Richard!

First let me clear up a little confusion. When I first started to post here I used my screen name all knew me by from the Speed Skating web site, "Racer", you can see many of my posts both here and on the other site..

I had a computer crash, lost my hard drive, and when I came back for some reason neither site would recognize my old screen name no matter what I did to sign on, I finally gave up and took the easy route and switched to "Split Woods" and walla, I was in and could start to post under the new name..

It does confuse some! When I came back again this time from an illness, same thing happened, so I tried Racer and it recognized that one, so bottom line, I have used both! Calvano has not posted to either of these 2 sites to my knowledge.

Now onto your post, Mike I am very sad to hear about your Dad passing, I had no way of knowing, sorry....kindly extend to your lovely Mom, my warmest regards, and my belated condolences.....I attended many State, Regional and National Championships with them thru the years, well before you were born!!

I knew Joe and Marie Mauro from their Eastern Parkway and Empire days in the 50's! Then Levittown and Bay Shore and finally when they cmae over to coach at Wal Cliffe!

Everett and Connie from Park Circle and then New Wal Cliffe after it reopened!! When Donn and I wanted to run our outdoor meets in SI, I sat down with Everett and John Casas, and they were very supportive....as you know...

Far as the Chopper pushing some water off the track, you are correct it did happen, one time. I flew with the US Marine Airwing out of Flloyd Bennet Field, made one call and they were there to help us out!!! In future years, when we needed to dry things out, we pushed squeegees around the old fashioned way!!! The track was 12 laps to a mile. I laid out a 10 lap track, also but we liked the 12 lap better....

Gail is an old friend of mine, did I see somewhere recently she moved to Florida to teach down there?? If you have an email addy for her, I would like to get in touch and say hi....

I knew that Andy has passed away, they have a website deovted to him with his life story and many pics posted. Chester gave a moving history of his relationship with Andy....I by coincidence worked with Andy at Sterns Dept Store in 1962-63! (It was located on 42nd st near 5th Ave in NYC across the street from the Library) He was the Sales Mgr in the Music Dept, selling Pianos and Organs, and I worked on the same floor managing the Sporting Goods Dept!!
Back then he played at Hillside for Eddie O Neil!!!

We closed down C&L in '75...those wheels to which you refer came out afterwards. It may have been a composite that John Espositio had worked on. Tracy on this site can give us some detail on those wheels with the double splits....

Would like to meet you one day Mike, I do recall your parents bringing you to the rink, when you were a new born!

Just a few years have passed since then......

Thsi should help fill in some blanks....

Racer
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #309
JandKLarson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
My name's Mike Kennedy from Long Island, NY. I was on the speed team with the unidentified kids in the photo. It's the Wal Cliffe Speed Team from Elmont, NY. Bobby Lee is seated in front of the rail. Left to right are Steve Mataix, Connie Magnus (Everett & Betty Magnus' daughter - Park Circle), Dean Mauro (Joey & Marie Mauro' son - coaches - won Freshman Boys that year I believe & placed in relays also), Ellen Lee, and Christina Santa Donato. The Wal Cliffe team had great success that year with several places in the Freshman individual & relay events.

I put an intro up on the artistic skating intro thread, as my parents, sisters & I were more involved in the artstic skating end of it.

I know there are several people here who will undoubtedly know my family - Donald & Lorraine Kennedy are my parents, and my sisters Maureen & Peggy.

I remember Richie (Splitwoods) from year's ago. Nothing like getting that fresh set from C & L. I also remember the experimental pink double split plastic wheels we used. Those were great.

When I found this site, I just wanted to join to tell everyone thanks for the many years of fun I had in skating, and I look forward to getting in touch with people I have missed through the years.

Mike

Hi Mike.

My husband thinks you may know each other, as he knew the kids in the picture from Wal Cliffe. My husband is Kevin Larson, he used to skate for Bay Shore and Levittown. He remembers the Mauros, Joey Dardis (sp??). He wants to know if you remember the two twin sisters who used to skate for Wal Cliffe, Margaret and Mary?

Kevin is still skating and competing, but on inlines now. He is also coaching at a rink in NJ.

Julie Barnes-Larson
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:07 AM   #310
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Julie:

I remember your husband....did he not skate with Freddie and Steve on the Bayshore Racing Team....70-75 timeframe??

I am looking for an email or a phone number for Steve Finklestein...can you guys rustle that up for me, I would appreciate it...

I remember the twin girls!! Margaret and Mary...they were a lot of fun at the meets....

Look forward to hearing back from you.

PS Which rink is your husband coaching at in Jersey??

Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Hi Mike.

My husband thinks you may know each other, as he knew the kids in the picture from Wal Cliffe. My husband is Kevin Larson, he used to skate for Bay Shore and Levittown. He remembers the Mauros, Joey Dardis (sp??). He wants to know if you remember the two twin sisters who used to skate for Wal Cliffe, Margaret and Mary?

Kevin is still skating and competing, but on inlines now. He is also coaching at a rink in NJ.

Julie Barnes-Larson
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:54 AM   #311
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Smile

Mike:

Little trivia...My first club was Rollerama in Brooklyn, NY....Our Art coaches were Millie and Satch Wilkens. They had many National Champions...in the late 50's Ken Trotter and Ruth Heesman were the reining National and World Champions in Pairs skating for the Wilkens...Eddie Klein and Lilian Manzo teamed up with Ken and Ruth to capture the National Fours title at Nationals in 59, while Ken and Ruth placed 2nd in Pairs that year in Boston. Ruth would marry Warren Collozo in 1960, and when the New Wal Cliffe rink opened back up, they would become the pros there. Jim and Millie Ferris would join them....I was there for the Grand Opening of the rink ....

When Wal Cliffe burnt down in the winter of 1958, Millie and Satch opened up our rink to Millie and Jim Ferris the pros at Wal Cliffe as they needed a place to train their skaters. Our rink was the newest one in NYC at the time with a nice bare maple floor.

Wal Cliffe also had many champions in their club. Charles Wahlig and Miriam Centaro had won Sr Dance at Nationals in Cleveland in 58 Charles also won Nationals in Sr Mens Speed, becoming the first ever to do so in the same year he won Sr Dance....Charles and Miriam would go onto defend in Boston in 59. Chuck Yorio and his partner Joy Guarino Sp??won Jr Dance at Nationals in 59 as well.

So between our startup club, the Minelola skaters that came with Millie and Satch and the Wal Cliffe club, all skating at Rollerama in 59, we had an awful lot of talent under one roof....

Speed wise Calvano trained at our rink weekly, Charles brought Grudza over from PA, (George skated out of Pendel Pa and was a multi National champion, who owned all the Int mens records at the 58 Nationals...and John Drewry would come over from Jersey to many of our workouts....John had just returned victorious from the World met in New Zealand as overall Champion. He started off the Nationals at Boston in 59 by lapping the entire field twice in the Sr Men 5 mile race!!

Gohs won the meet, but John made him work every race for the title....they both were outstanding...as was most of the Sr Men's field that year....

Your Mom & Dad came down one Saturday morning for a Dance Lesson at Rollerama. While they were lacing up, Donald was watching me practice. He came over to me as we were finsihing up and told me if I would consider doing some figure practice during sessions, he would show me how to improve my edge control.. I took him up on it, and enjoyed it so much, I started to compete in Novice Figures and would go to many of the F&D contests at Park Circle and Empire for the next 2 years. I also started Dance Skating and skated Jr and Novice Dance while still playing Hockey although Racing was my first love. However your Dad was correct, my cornering improved very quickly with the extra cross training....I always remembered that and would thank him every once in a while for opening up my mind to other aspects of the sport....

In 1961 Calvano and I made the decision to skate out of the New Wal Cliffe Club in Elmont. It would prove to be my best season. I won NY States in Buffalo and NE Regionals at Wal Cliffe in Int Mens Speed. Donn and I teamed up with Toni Holley and Nina Marmorino to win both meets in Mixed 4 Relay...In fact each of us won our individual divisions at both Championships....Donn and I also teamed up with Howard Sowle and Lenny Chandros to win Mens 4 Relay at States and Regionals.......our uniforms were red and white....I had the pleasure in 71 to watch Toni come out of retirment and skate Sr Free Dance at Nationals....she and her partner were flawless....Nina went onto become one of the greatest distance runners ever capturing both the Boston and NYC Marathons, and convincing the Int'l Olympic committee to open up distance racing for women at the Olympics which they did do thanks to her efforts. I am very proud of Nina....

You can go to post # 134 on this thread. There is a pic of our 61 Mixed Relay team from New Wal Cliffe posted there. It was snapped at the NY State Meet in Buffalo..I was 16 years old in that photo. Just a short 48 years back..LOL

Post # 26 shows a pic at the Staten Island Outdoor meet from 71 and another one from 73... enjoy....

I am very glad Mike that you found this forum.....hopefully one day we can meet again...until then keep the cards and letter rolling!!!!

Racer


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
Richard,

It is like a trip through the past. Isn't this internet thing great!

My mom is returning from a trip tomorrow, and I will be sure to pass along your regards. I will also attempt to find out if Gail has an e-mail address. Mom may have it.

I still live on Long Island. My sister's are in PA & NJ. My Mom still talks to Chester fairly regularly, and she saw him at a South Amboy reunion a couple of months ago.

Great story about Andy. What a great guy he was. Always had a smile, a laugh, and a good story. I really enjoyed getting to know him as an "adult" and not just a little kid at the rink.

What's really interesting looking back on it is that I was a "little kid" back then, but I knew everyone. At Wal-Cliffe's Christmas Parties, I used to hand out the cards & gifts because I knew everyone. I remember you coming to WalCliffe speed practices with our wheels, etc. like it was yesterday. I guess my parents really helped me appreciate the history of it all, because I could walk up to the "old timers" you mention, say hello, and carry on a long conversation about people who I only knew as a small child.

It truly is great to hear from you. I was hoping to hear from some people on here who would remember my parents & us, and just rekindle the love we had for a sport for so many years.

BTW, thinking about those wheels, I think they may have been Ranalli's. Light pink, double shallow splits. I loved those wheels.

Mike
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:10 AM   #312
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Smile

Phil

I just reread this post of yours about skating Co States in the 5 mile with Chris and the Boys.... that is real funny, especially what you told Mary Sue about dropping out cause you had to skate Figures...he he....

Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpinto View Post
Richard,
you may not remember me, i did practice at lakewood with you and John. However we knew each other better when i was coaching in Greeley, Co in the mid 70's..anyway a few stories i wanted to share..hope they make someone smile

it was 1961-62 season, my first season...went to a sunday morning speed practice at the Belevedere arena in Keansbury, NJ...the rink was closed but we could see someone in there skating...there was a corvette parked outside, finally our coach came and let us in...what i sight...ther was this guy with a cap and beard...wearing high top boots, no toe stops and double action skated!!! not ever real speed skates...and was pacing..at 13 sec a lap {which was fast on that floor} i found out he had been doing for the past hour and half...my first meeting of GREATNESS...yes it was Donn Calvano

In the dec of 1964 they held a meet in Lakewood with 100 mile, 3 man relay...i entered that and got 5th or 6th...i believe the winning team was John Drewy, Buggy and Donn..what i fun painful day that was

my last story was my greatest moment in speed skating..Year 1975. i was coaching in Colorado and we had a real good team, i did't really race anymore but i ran part of every one with each group i started, so i was in good shape.
at our state meet i enetered sr men..always loved the open five mile. well that year Chris Snyder showed up with Mark Raines and two other hot national placements Ouch!!
There were about 30 guys on the line and i would stay in until the leaders lapped me...well the gun went off and i find my self right behing Chris and his team mates...i go, this is cool, i should be able to stay for about 3 laps...well at 8 laps no one had passed me yet, i was amazed so i look back and there is no one close WOW...by one mile we are lapping people, i never did this before, i also felt like i was going to die...at the two mile mark i never hurt so bad and said, "chris let lead a lap so i can die" he said ok and i set up my pass..and those guys came out the coner so hard i couldn't believe it...so i just stood up and went into the center..I talked with Bill Norberg {maker of the XL skate} i said bill i was never so dead after one mile, he said you skating in 2:58 i said i can't go that fast!!! we did 2 miles in 6 min that was about 10 sec beyond my ability

anyway i was dating Mary Sue Wilcox at the time {she was a 5 time national single champ} she looked at me and said something like...i didn't know you where that fast why did you stop, you were right with Chris the whole time...with a straight face i just said, i have skate figures in the morning

if i can figure out how to post em i a nice picture of me and John "working in the powder" at lakewood

i spend my time now as a personal trainer and compete in body building

anyone who would like to email me i would appreciate it
fpinto@iowatelecom.net
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #313
mkmkenn
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Hi Mike.

My husband thinks you may know each other, as he knew the kids in the picture from Wal Cliffe. My husband is Kevin Larson, he used to skate for Bay Shore and Levittown. He remembers the Mauros, Joey Dardis (sp??). He wants to know if you remember the two twin sisters who used to skate for Wal Cliffe, Margaret and Mary?

Kevin is still skating and competing, but on inlines now. He is also coaching at a rink in NJ.

Julie Barnes-Larson

Margaret & Mary Wilmarth. I remember Kevin too. I think he was a little older than me. you got the spelling of Dardis right, as it was Joey & his little brother Chuck. I was skating in Freshman with Dean Mauro & Richie Sardo. Richie had an older brother - Angelo.

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #314
mkmkenn
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Mike:

Little trivia...My first club was Rollerama in Brooklyn, NY....Our Art coaches were Millie and Satch Wilkens. They had many National Champions...in the late 50's Ken Trotter and Ruth Heesman were the reining National and World Champions in Pairs skating for the Wilkens...Eddie Klein and Lilian Manzo teamed up with Ken and Ruth to capture the National Fours title at Nationals in 59, while Ken and Ruth placed 2nd in Pairs that year in Boston. Ruth would marry Warren Collozo in 1960, and when the New Wal Cliffe rink opened back up, they would become the pros there. Jim and Millie Ferris would join them....I was there for the Grand Opening of the rink ....

When Wal Cliffe burnt down in the winter of 1958, Millie and Satch opened up our rink to Millie and Jim Ferris the pros at Wal Cliffe as they needed a place to train their skaters. Our rink was the newest one in NYC at the time with a nice bare maple floor.

Wal Cliffe also had many champions in their club. Charles Wahlig and Miriam Centaro had won Sr Dance at Nationals in Cleveland in 58 Charles also won Nationals in Sr Mens Speed, becoming the first ever to do so in the same year he won Sr Dance....Charles and Miriam would go onto defend in Boston in 59. Chuck Yorio and his partner Joy Guarino Sp??won Jr Dance at Nationals in 59 as well.

So between our startup club, the Minelola skaters that came with Millie and Satch and the Wal Cliffe club, all skating at Rollerama in 59, we had an awful lot of talent under one roof....

Speed wise Calvano trained at our rink weekly, Charles brought Grudza over from PA, (George skated out of Pendel Pa and was a multi National champion, who owned all the Int mens records at the 58 Nationals...and John Drewry would come over from Jersey to many of our workouts....John had just returned victorious from the World met in New Zealand as overall Champion. He started off the Nationals at Boston in 59 by lapping the entire field twice in the Sr Men 5 mile race!!

Gohs won the meet, but John made him work every race for the title....they both were outstanding...as was most of the Sr Men's field that year....

Your Mom & Dad came down one Saturday morning for a Dance Lesson at Rollerama. While they were lacing up, Donald was watching me practice. He came over to me as we were finsihing up and told me if I would consider doing some figure practice during sessions, he would show me how to improve my edge control.. I took him up on it, and enjoyed it so much, I started to compete in Novice Figures and would go to many of the F&D contests at Park Circle and Empire for the next 2 years. I also started Dance Skating and skated Jr and Novice Dance while still playing Hockey although Racing was my first love. However your Dad was correct, my cornering improved very quickly with the extra cross training....I always remembered that and would thank him every once in a while for opening up my mind to other aspects of the sport....

In 1961 Calvano and I made the decision to skate out of the New Wal Cliffe Club in Elmont. It would prove to be my best season. I won NY States in Buffalo and NE Regionals at Wal Cliffe in Int Mens Speed. Donn and I teamed up with Toni Holley and Nina Marmorino to win both meets in Mixed 4 Relay...In fact each of us won our individual divisions at both Championships....Donn and I also teamed up with Howard Sowle and Lenny Chandros to win Mens 4 Relay at States and Regionals.......our uniforms were red and white....I had the pleasure in 71 to watch Toni come out of retirment and skate Sr Free Dance at Nationals....she and her partner were flawless....Nina went onto become one of the greatest distance runners ever capturing both the Boston and NYC Marathons, and convincing the Int'l Olympic committee to open up distance racing for women at the Olympics which they did do thanks to her efforts. I am very proud of Nina....

You can go to post # 134 on this thread. There is a pic of our 61 Mixed Relay team from New Wal Cliffe posted there. It was snapped at the NY State Meet in Buffalo..I was 16 years old in that photo. Just a short 48 years back..LOL

Post # 26 shows a pic at the Staten Island Outdoor meet from 71 and another one from 73... enjoy....

I am very glad Mike that you found this forum.....hopefully one day we can meet again...until then keep the cards and letter rolling!!!!

Racer

Racer,

Great stories. It just shows how deeply everyone was linked with each other in this world of skating.

Funny story - I skated Sophomore pairs at Nationals in 1981 skating out of Carolier in North Brunswick, NJ for Joe Fernando. My partner was Kim Kadlac. We finished 10th that year.

Fast forward to 1989, and I'm teaching at South Amboy with my Mom & Andy Devito. Sunday afternoon session & I'm watching the front door. (We were required to work limited hours at the rink to teach there). A girl comes over & starts talking to me about skating, etc. She's wearing an old pair of Snyders, and is asking about the club, practice time, etc. She wanted to know if she could skate a little bit after session, as she had been a freestyle skater from CA who now lived in NY. I said that it wasn't allowed if you weren't a member of the club, or if you weren't taking a private lession. I then said that I had a half-hour open between sessions, and I'd give her a free 1/2 hour lesson (I'd sit on the wall and watch her.). This way she could skate, and we could get around the "rules". We got to talking, and we competed against each other in that Sophomore pairs event in 1981. Small world. The funniest part of the story was, I was going to drive home to Long Island after lessons that evening. She had come with a friend from NYC to skate the session. Her friend didn't want to hang around after session, so I ended up driving her back to Manhattan on my way home. Her friend could not believe that she was going to just take a ride from a stranger home to the city. We both just basically told her that we were skaters - everything would be fine.

That's the way it was. Nobody thought twice about it - whether it was rides, or letting people from other clubs come over & train at your rink, etc. Whatever was best for the skaters is what needed to be done. When I was skating for Joe Fernando, he was teaching at at least 3 rinks I can think of at the same time. Any of his students were welcome at any of the 3 rinks at any time.

Also, glad to hear my Dad was able to help you & always glad to hear good stories about my Mom & Dad. My dad sure loved skating. That really was his driving force.

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #315
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Smile

Mike:

Joe Fernando would come over to Rollerama in Brooklyn 1958 - 1960 to practice Freestyle with us...he also would show up at Empire and Fordham rinks during the week where we would also practice....even saw him at Hillside a few times....

I had heard years ago he had turned pro and was teaching at Kendal Park...
I thought Chester was skating for him at one time??
Sadly I had heard he passed away.....we are loosing more and more of the old timers, which is why it is important to keep this and the Speed Skating websites going to permanently record our sports history.

S. Amboy??? John Duryne was one of our best customers at C&L along with Wal Cliffe of course....we voted to found the Eastern Speed League in their meeting room sometime during the winter of 1970! I served the league as President and then a Board Member, as did John Brosonski form S.Amboy

Donn and I also coached speed at Carolier with Ed Kasper in 1970-71...by 1974 Calvano and I co coached the US team in London England, taking 20 of our best indoor and outdoor champions to compete there in a 5 nation International Championship....now that was a fun trip....

I had moved to Ct in the early 90's and looked up Mike Duryne who was running their rink in Waterbury, we had lunch and exchanged war stories about our years in the sport....Mike was a darn good racer....heard they sold that rink, is he back in Jersey again????

Mike, your showing hospitality for that Ca skater is nothing new to who we are as a culture...it has always been that way.....Brothers and Sisters of the sport...it is the way it should be....good for you!!!!!

Racer


Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmkenn View Post
Racer,

Great stories. It just shows how deeply everyone was linked with each other in this world of skating.

Funny story - I skated Sophomore pairs at Nationals in 1981 skating out of Carolier in North Brunswick, NJ for Joe Fernando. My partner was Kim Kadlac. We finished 10th that year.

Fast forward to 1989, and I'm teaching at South Amboy with my Mom & Andy Devito. Sunday afternoon session & I'm watching the front door. (We were required to work limited hours at the rink to teach there). A girl comes over & starts talking to me about skating, etc. She's wearing an old pair of Snyders, and is asking about the club, practice time, etc. She wanted to know if she could skate a little bit after session, as she had been a freestyle skater from CA who now lived in NY. I said that it wasn't allowed if you weren't a member of the club, or if you weren't taking a private lession. I then said that I had a half-hour open between sessions, and I'd give her a free 1/2 hour lesson (I'd sit on the wall and watch her.). This way she could skate, and we could get around the "rules". We got to talking, and we competed against each other in that Sophomore pairs event in 1981. Small world. The funniest part of the story was, I was going to drive home to Long Island after lessons that evening. She had come with a friend from NYC to skate the session. Her friend didn't want to hang around after session, so I ended up driving her back to Manhattan on my way home. Her friend could not believe that she was going to just take a ride from a stranger home to the city. We both just basically told her that we were skaters - everything would be fine.

That's the way it was. Nobody thought twice about it - whether it was rides, or letting people from other clubs come over & train at your rink, etc. Whatever was best for the skaters is what needed to be done. When I was skating for Joe Fernando, he was teaching at at least 3 rinks I can think of at the same time. Any of his students were welcome at any of the 3 rinks at any time.

Also, glad to hear my Dad was able to help you & always glad to hear good stories about my Mom & Dad. My dad sure loved skating. That really was his driving force.

Mike
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #316
mkmkenn
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 37
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Mike:

Joe Fernando would come over to Rollerama in Brooklyn 1958 - 1960 to practice Freestyle with us...he also would show up at Empire and Fordham rinks during the week where we would also practice....even saw him at Hillside a few times....

I had heard years ago he had turned pro and was teaching at Kendal Park...
I thought Chester was skating for him at one time??
Sadly I had heard he passed away.....we are loosing more and more of the old timers, which is why it is important to keep this and the Speed Skating websites going to permanently record our sports history.

S. Amboy??? John Duryne was one of our best customers at C&L along with Wal Cliffe of course....we voted to found the Eastern Speed League in their meeting room sometime during the winter of 1970! I served the league as President and then a Board Member, as did John Brosonski form S.Amboy

Donn and I also coached speed at Carolier with Ed Kasper in 1970-71...by 1974 Calvano and I co coached the US team in London England, taking 20 of our best indoor and outdoor champions to compete there in a 5 nation International Championship....now that was a fun trip....

I had moved to Ct in the early 90's and looked up Mike Duryne who was running their rink in Waterbury, we had lunch and exchanged war stories about our years in the sport....Mike was a darn good racer....heard they sold that rink, is he back in Jersey again????

Mike, your showing hospitality for that Ca skater is nothing new to who we are as a culture...it has always been that way.....Brothers and Sisters of the sport...it is the way it should be....good for you!!!!!

Racer

Joe was a unique individual, and for my years of skating for him, I was a part of his inner sanctum. I don't know what it was about him, but we just really hit it off. Most people found him a bit abrasive & aloof at times. I really can't describe why, but we became very close over a number of years. He got married to one of his skaters a few years before he passed away. I was good friends with her as well, and I spent many nights at their home, and many car rides to various practices and/or competitions. Talk about war stories. He had them all.

I'm not sure about the CT rink being sold. I think Mike is still up there running it, but I'll check with my Mom. John is still involved at S. Amboy & his daughter Jeanne is still there as well.

I remember John B. there & Ed C. at Carolier. When I was at WalCliffe we were constantly travelling to the Eastern region to get some competition, as the speed skating situation in the NE region was quite lacking at the time.

I can't wait for my mom to get home tonight from her trip. We'll have a lot to talk about now that we've been in touch on here.

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:59 AM   #317
JandKLarson
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 990
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post
Julie:

I remember your husband....did he not skate with Freddie and Steve on the Bayshore Racing Team....70-75 timeframe??

I am looking for an email or a phone number for Steve Finklestein...can you guys rustle that up for me, I would appreciate it...

I remember the twin girls!! Margaret and Mary...they were a lot of fun at the meets....

Look forward to hearing back from you.

PS Which rink is your husband coaching at in Jersey??

Racer
Racer,

You are the same person as "Splitwoods," right?

Yes, Kevin said he did skate with Freddie and Steve on the Bayshore team. He'll see what he can find out about Steve Finkelstein.

Kevin is coaching at Kendall Park. Our team's website is www.ffwdskating.com. Kevin skated on a Masters pro team for a while back about 7-10 years back - EC Beast/Verducci and they would practice at Buggy's practices at Cornwells Skate Center. Buggy also skated for the team. The other main coach at Kendall Park, Jane Carey, was one of Buggy's skaters for many years, raced on quads as a kid and was also on that Masters pro team. Our team's assistant coach also used to race on quads (Kevin said they did a relay at Nationals in Senior men, I think) but I'm not sure how far back.

I only started racing as an adult, and actually as a Master's age skater, Kevin and I actually met at the first indoor practice I ever went to at Buggy's team practice back in 2001. I enjoy hearing Kevin and others (like Buggy) talk about their history in the sport. And while he still continues to compete, Kevin is proud to now be "giving back" to the sport he's loved all his life by coaching.

Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 04:20 AM   #318
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Hi Julie:

Yes, Racer & Split Woods = the same, thats me.. Richard....

Donn Calvano and I formed up in 1969 and ran C&L Speed Skating Eqpt out of New Brunswick NJ until 1975...

Cliff Nazzaro who managed Kendal Park just down the road from our shop was and is, a good friend....He was a heck of a racer in his day, 50's - 60's timeframe and a multi National Champion in the A....along with Dave Baabs..

I had heard that Donn was coaching at KP for a while. He won Nationals several times in the early to mid 50's in 4 man Mens Relay, skating out of Empire Rollerdrome in Brooklyn, NY....he went onto become one of the best Distance skaters in the Nation for many years.....

Yes if Kevin can come up wiht some email and phone contact info for me for both Steve and Fred, that would be great, we lost touch with each other a long time ago....

I guess I met Buggy for the first time in 1958-59 at a race meet in Pa.....so you could say we go way back.....

Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
Racer,

You are the same person as "Splitwoods," right?

Yes, Kevin said he did skate with Freddie and Steve on the Bayshore team. He'll see what he can find out about Steve Finkelstein.

Kevin is coaching at Kendall Park. Our team's website is www.ffwdskating.com. Kevin skated on a Masters pro team for a while back about 7-10 years back - EC Beast/Verducci and they would practice at Buggy's practices at Cornwells Skate Center. Buggy also skated for the team. The other main coach at Kendall Park, Jane Carey, was one of Buggy's skaters for many years, raced on quads as a kid and was also on that Masters pro team. Our team's assistant coach also used to race on quads (Kevin said they did a relay at Nationals in Senior men, I think) but I'm not sure how far back.

I only started racing as an adult, and actually as a Master's age skater, Kevin and I actually met at the first indoor practice I ever went to at Buggy's team practice back in 2001. I enjoy hearing Kevin and others (like Buggy) talk about their history in the sport. And while he still continues to compete, Kevin is proud to now be "giving back" to the sport he's loved all his life by coaching.

Julie
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #319
mkmkenn
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 37
Default

Richard - spoke to my Mom last night when I picked her up from the airport. She laughed when I told her we had been in touch, and she couldn't believe that a simple post on the internet could connect 2 different generations, as we connected here. She doesn't have any info for Gail, as she lost touch when Gail moved to FL. She does have her ex-husband's phone number, but that might be a little touchy :-)

Julie - I asked Mom about Kevin, and she had the same thoughts I did. Skinny kid, blond hair, a little older than me. (I turn 47 next week). So yes, we know Kevin, and I'm sure he knows us. The family was more on the artistic side of things, but you can see from my & Richard's posts, the crossover is quite far-reaching.

I'm going to try to find some of the old photos this wekend & post some. Don't hold me to it, because between running the kids from Lacrosse, Basketball, Band practice, Karate, etc. I may have a few minutes to myself.

Mike
mkmkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #320
Racer
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72
Default

Mike:

I KNEW your Mom would get a kick out of you and I conversing on this forum!

Now that I think about It, I may have seen Gail post on that website that coordinates the "A" annual reunions over in Jersey....I might be able to reach her thru that venue, thanks anyhow...let's keep this dialogue going....

BTW, there is some great writings over on the SpeedSkating.com forum we all posted over a 8-9 year timeframe on many quad speed related topics, when you find the time, it is a good archive of historical meanderings....

Richard
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.