S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum > Quad Speed
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Speed Discussions about speed skating in quad roller skates.

Old July 2nd, 2012, 05:40 AM   #1
UltimateRollerSk8er

Default NTS Plates

I'm thinking about buying a set of plates with no toe stop. I've definitely put the Giottos and the Snyder Royals into serious consideration. But if anyone knows of any good nts speed plates or wants to comment on the two plates that I named feel free to do so.
Thanks!
(they will be mounted to 395 boots)
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:43 AM   #2
HK47
Roll Player

For speed, Boens and Roguas look good, also Prolines and Power Traks. I have Giottos and while they're gorgeous, they're also a bit heavy! While I've not skated Royals, my understanding is that to get a decent clip out of them takes more thought and technique than with less-turny plates.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:04 AM   #3
cass38a

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK47 View Post
For speed, Boens and Roguas look good, also Prolines and Power Traks. I have Giottos and while they're gorgeous, they're also a bit heavy! While I've not skated Royals, my understanding is that to get a decent clip out of them takes more thought and technique than with less-turny plates.
If you are looking for new NTS plates then this is spot on (except that power track and proline have stops).

Boens and Roguas also have clip axles as standard
cass38a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #4
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
(except that power track and proline have stops)
Thats where a hacksaw comes in handy

(just for reference the previous owner of my Giottos, Speedy_Dave on here, gave them a nosejob anyway so as to get the plate further forward ... works for me too TBH)
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Armadillo

The Rannalli Rocket NTS version is also a decent steep kingpin plate that has better wheel clearance than most other speed plates. This feature is handy whenever you may want to roll on some larger wheels outside.

-Armadillo
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6
jbgerman

A quite not so expensive solution could be the BOEN-replica from India:

http://www.lazerxtech.com/skate-frames.html
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:18 AM   #7
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
The Rannalli Rocket NTS version ...
Those aren't available new though, are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgerman View Post
A quite not so expensive solution could be the BOEN-replica from India:

http://www.lazerxtech.com/skate-frames.html
Also a good solution, though I'm guessing if the OP can afford Giottos they can get something a bit better quality than the Lazers (I love my Lazer wheels, but those plates have wildly varying quality control )
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:31 AM   #8
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

the lazers i got were not of a quality i felt safe skating. the pivot cup holes were off center very...very far.. infact one of them was so far off center the cup was exposed on the side, another was cracked from the factory (it was actually a seam where the metal didnt meet). id stick with what you are considering. i have a royal nts/and ts. love them both. my current outdoor plate is an mg avenger though.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 11:57 AM   #9
Armadillo

Quote:
Those aren't available new though, are they?

Also a good solution, though I'm guessing if the OP can afford Giottos they can get something a bit better quality than the Lazers (I love my Lazer wheels, but those plates have wildly varying quality control )
Yes they are NOS. I currently have a few pairs, mostly int he larger sizes, and with them having 7 degree kingpins, I consider them to be good speed plates, but they also can turn very well too with the right suspension, and the high foot platform means no wheel bite issues.

-Armadillo
Old July 3rd, 2012, 03:54 AM   #10
hamtaro
love quads, inlines...hmm

roll-line ring plate. KP angle between the da45's and boen/roguas. can put flip axles in if you want but downside is the are limited in the diameter of wheen they can take.
hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 04:28 AM   #11
Hans

I put a OG NTS Proline on a 911 recently and was very pleased with how they performed. They are a 725 on a size 9 and although I have recently preferred shorter wheelbase plates for their agility these felt very quick and of quality. They are not as light as my QRC on U III's but I felt faster on them. Now if my local rink would just recoat the floor so I could use some real speed wheels Faster Grips are sliding around now :-(
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 07:53 AM   #12
jbgerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamtaro View Post
roll-line ring plate. KP angle between the da45's and boen/roguas. can put flip axles in if you want but downside is the are limited in the diameter of wheen they can take.
I have 70mm diameter wheels at my Ring.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM   #13
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
I have 70mm diameter wheels at my Ring.
How hard are your cushions though ...?
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM   #14
jbgerman

Quote:
How hard are your cushions though ...?
Clear PU cushions, quite loose.

Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM   #15
cass38a

If you are happy looking for old stuff then the following come into the mix with my rating.

Boen Speed
NTS Proline
Boen Special
WIP
Ultimate 4
Galaxy
Laser elite
Giotto
Rouga
New Boen
Laser x tec
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:55 AM   #16
flemo004

Quote:
Originally Posted by cass38a View Post
Laser x tec
That's a bit rough Andrew. The plates are not as bad as you think - I have managed to skate pretty well on them...
And if anyone has let me know about a problem with an item they have bought from me, I have never hesitated in replacing the item for the customer. Maybe there is a problem with other distributors around the world if they are not prepared to do this for people.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 10:42 AM   #17
scubask8tr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemo004 View Post
That's a bit rough Andrew. The plates are not as bad as you think - I have managed to skate pretty well on them...
And if anyone has let me know about a problem with an item they have bought from me, I have never hesitated in replacing the item for the customer. Maybe there is a problem with other distributors around the world if they are not prepared to do this for people.
We appreciate your work flemo, (your real work and the importing you do), but I too have seen a few bad examples of the Indian Lazer plate. If you got them, you would understand.
scubask8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM   #18
flemo004

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubask8tr View Post
We appreciate your work flemo, (your real work and the importing you do), but I too have seen a few bad examples of the Indian Lazer plate. If you got them, you would understand.
Thanks man, I appreciate that too - especially on a day like today where another brother has left us, and on the eve of the anniversary of the last fallen warrior of my trip.
Anyway, as for the bad examples, if I have had any of these come through - and I have - I have not sold them. Instead I have informed the manufacturer so he can address this. I know he has made changes in order to get some quality control back - as he has a lot on his plate and can't spend as much time in the factory as he would like - and to date the items coming through are finished better and there are far less problems.
I am not just saying this because I sell the products, but as someone who has competed at and elite level and who has raced on: Faster, Boen, Labeda and Lazer-X-Tech, they are a good product and value for money - except if they are bought from someone who will not replace a defective item.
On saying this, not every item being produced today is of the best quality. As an example, look at the problems many in Australia have had with Bont boots since Inze has stopped making them in his shed...From the shed they were a great boot and you received great service. For quite a few people, today, this is not the case.
I am pretty sure that the best quality control of any skating product being produced would be Scott and his wheels, but unlike Bont and Lazer-X-Tech, the volume being produced in not as great making it easier to control. So a lot of it would come down to the sheer volume being produced, and not having the ability to check 100%. If the items you know of are people who have bought from me, please ask them to contact me so I can address any problems.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM   #19
cass38a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flemo004 View Post
They are good value for the $$, the mad face was probably a bit rough. The people who own them never complain about how they skate but there have been a few issues with breakage (especially in the US) and some of the photos posted up here have shown some pretty dodgy faults, so it is buyer beware.

I know you have stood by your product but the OP is not in Australia and has the $$$ for a giotto or Royal so I think it would be a waste for them to go to the laser.

I have been showing off the small xtec and plastic fantastic plates up here, nobody but me is interested in anything NTS.

Good to see you are still checking in on the forum and stay safe.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:36 AM   #20
HK47
Roll Player

Quote:
Clear PU cushions, quite loose.
Clear ones are haaaard! I'm on clear-green, set full-loose, and they still feel firm (in a nice way)

Tags
395, giotto, nts, plates, royal